Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

What exactly would legal action entail?

A retrospective 3-game ban would suffice imo. It was a tackle that warranted a straight red card.

It's a difficult one because whilst these tackles are an awful part of the game - I'd be reluctant to see any further encouragement of the sport losing its physicality. Incidents like the 11-game ban in France sets a precedent and I'm not sure that sort of thing is good for the game, regardless of the severity of the challenge/ensuing injury. There is a lack of physicality in the top leagues these days - to a point where simulation (be it 'going down easily' or a plain dive) happens numerous times in every single game.

Unless it could be proven, beyond question, that there was genuine malice in a challenge - anything beyond the 3-game suspension is harsh imo.

EDIT: Mind you, it's a pity they can't reprimand Whelan for his bullshit sarcasm after the game. Not only is he condoning leg-breaking challenges, he's belittling his own club (as well as ours). If that's not 'bringing the game into disrepute', I'm not sure what is.

Couldn't disagree more. There's no physicality in that tackle and 3-game ban is basically nothing. There are ways to fight diving but I fail to see how not giving proper bans would be one way.

Beyond my concerns regarding 'losing physicality', how do you scale the severity of one tackle against another (and thus influencing the punishment)? Do you consider the height of the challenge? The speed of which he made the tackle? The severity of any injury it might cause?

Like I say, the only thing that should influence the punishment and force an extended ban, is a clear suggestion of malice and intent imo. Like Thatcher against Pedro Mendes, for eg.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but by the letter of the law - McManaman's foul was dangerous play and should have been a straight red/3-game ban. I don't think he went in with the intention of injuring Haidara.

I find it pretty unbelievable that he found his studs half way up a planted leg without an intention of 'sticking one on'.

I've not even come close to doing that in all the years I've played (despite increasingly shit reaction times and control).

Whether it ran through his head what level of injury his 'welcome to the English league' would cause doesn't matter a jot. I'd say that the intent was there, and that needs to be stamped on.

The only way to do that and make an example for others, is for the FA to impose a longer than standard ban.

McManaman hasn't said a word yet? Thug and coward.

he's 21 years old man

Not sure if being funny? Didn't know being a thug and coward had age restrictons. He's 22 in a month. Hardly a kid.

k i'll bite, none of you know he's a f***ing thug...he's played virtually no games so i personally have to believe the likes of martinez who say he's "not that type of lad"

i also believe pardew when he says cabaye is "not that type of lad" because frankly cabaye has made equally poor challenges and i didn't see the f***er on telly being all contrite about it, let's not mention tiote eh?  these are seasoned professionals mind you, not kids

he's 21/22 and is just breaking into the premier league, probably doesn't have his media badge yet and may be at home shitting himself crying at sky

or he may be in the pub laughing his tits off, but i don't know either way

I tend to believe my own eyes more than an over-protecting manager. Like they're not lying enough as it is. His twitter account, Assulin and Haidara tells me he's a grade A c***.

Age and "just breaking in to PL" is just poor excuses. He is what he is. At 22 he's liable for his own self.

He deserves all the abuse he gets, the horrible little thug. Hope it really gets to him.

Edit: I don't think anyone is demanding a press conference in Albert Hall.

Guest TheGreatBeardo

Yet Russian and French FA's have banned players for a considerable length of time for similar dangerous tackles in recent weeks.

Our FA could do the same, there is nothing in the rule book that says they can't. They're inept cowards, plain and simple.

Could this be something which makes leagal action against the FA more likely? If other national FA's can be shown to be trying to deal with the problem while the english FA just carries on with it's absurd policy of no retrospective action for incidents spotted by their incompetent referees, and a minimal ban for teams fortunate enough that the referee was so incompetent that he failed to spot the incident all together, it surely makes the case for negligence on the behalf of the FA more plausible. I guess you would probably have to be able to show that countries in which bad tackles were properly punished actually succeed in lowering the number of serious injuries by doing so, which might not be easy to prove.

Guest bimpy474

His age means nowt, our player is younger than him.

Wouldn't matter if he was 25, 30, 35 you take the tackle on its merits.

is that to me?  i'm not on about the tackle, i'm on about the fact he's being criticised for not having a press conference in the albert hall

Nah it wasn't at you mate, it was just me ranting out loud.

I just noticed the theme seems to be "he was only a young lad", i dont mean on here, i mean in general.

I'm still peed off at what Whelan was saying, ignore me ;)

His age means nowt, our player is younger than him.

Wouldn't matter if he was 25, 30, 35 you take the tackle on its merits.

is that to me?  i'm not on about the tackle, i'm on about the fact he's being criticised for not having a press conference in the albert hall

Why? he's a fully grown man. I did plenty of things at that age, took my punishment, fronted it up. he's not ten years old like

aye, you went in front of the national media to apologise for the wrong you did then?  jesus man, if nothing else his club are telling him to hide away and shut up because no good can come of it

however it's good to know the nation is full of such responsible and mature adults at age 21/22 given the judgements thrown around on here, should stand us in good stead as a nation

he's 21 years old man

Not sure if being funny? Didn't know being a thug and coward had age restrictons. He's 22 in a month. Hardly a kid.

k i'll bite, none of you know he's a f***ing thug...he's played virtually no games so i personally have to believe the likes of martinez who say he's "not that type of lad"

i also believe pardew when he says cabaye is "not that type of lad" because frankly cabaye has made equally poor challenges and i didn't see the f***er on telly being all contrite about it, let's not mention tiote eh?  these are seasoned professionals mind you, not kids

he's 21/22 and is just breaking into the premier league, probably doesn't have his media badge yet and may be at home shitting himself crying at sky

I tend to believe my own eyes more than an over-protecting manager. Like they're not lying enough as it is. His twitter account, Assulin and Haidara tells me he's a grade A c***.

Age and "just breaking in to PL" is just poor excuses. He is what he is. At 22 he's liable for his own self.

He deserves all the abuse he gets, the horrible little thug. Hope it really gets to him.

bit in bold, how many time have you seen him play you fucking gobshite?

he's 21 years old man

bit in bold, how many time have you seen him play you f***ing gobshite?

Jesus :lol:

Probably the same amount as most here. Also read the same as most here. Enough for me to make up an own opinion about him.

You havn't even seen the challenge man, you didn't even know who the fuck Assulin was until the weekend :lol:

When calculating suspensions i'd like to see a player's prior form bought into the equation too, dating back to reserves & U19's too. If youngsters are coming through the system either as a/poorly coached in the art of tackling, or b/ progressing through as a loose cannon/a cultivated hit-man, then it needs to be nipped.

Lengthy bans (6 - 12 mths, even longer for serial career wreckers) will phase out the established snipers, and herald a warning for young loose cannons (any yth coach who loosely encourages it) as they progress through the ranks.

You havn't even seen the challenge man, you didn't even know who the fuck Assulin was until the weekend :lol:

:lol: :lol:

cheers hans :thup:

he's 21/22, just made his premier league debut yet he's a "fucking thug" based on "evidence"

he might have played 200 junior and reserve games and never injured anyone man :lol:

You havn't even seen the challenge man, you didn't even know who the f*** Assulin was until the weekend :lol:

Yeah, because Assulin is such an unknown player :lol:  I haven't seen the challenge, no, but it's described well enough. "Assulin picked the ball up just inside Wigan's half and Callum McManaman ran from City's half and dived in very late and caught Gai on his right leg with the studs showing". 

Physio lecturer was saying yesterday he thought it would be 8 months out minimum as he may have done his posterior cruciate as well as his anterior cruciate and his lateral collateral ligament. f***ed basically

Will hope the scans show less though  :(

You havn't even seen the challenge man, you didn't even know who the f*** Assulin was until the weekend :lol:

Yeah, because Assulin is such an unknown player :lol:  I haven't seen the challenge, no, but it's described well enough. "Assulin picked the ball up just inside Wigan's half and Callum McManaman ran from City's half and dived in very late and caught Gai on his right leg with the studs showing". 

k so you're right, he committed a bad challenge on this guy (wasn't badly injured as far as i know), and now massadio (injury not determined) in the 4 years he's played professional football and that qualifies you to determine him a thug does it?

We're not all complete fucking nerds, mate.

And so the challenge is nothing that we haven't seen from our very own players this season?

Physio lecturer was saying yesterday he thought it would be 8 months out minimum as he may have done his posterior cruciate as well as his anterior cruciate and his lateral collateral ligament. f***ed basically

What did he basis his prognosis on?

My guess would be video of the tackle along with being a physio :lol:

Guest TheGreatBeardo

When calculating suspensions i'd like to see a player's prior form bought into the equation too, dating back to reserves & U19's too. If youngsters are coming through the system either as a/poorly coached in the art of tackling, or b/ progressing through as a loose cannon/a cultivated hit-man, then it needs to be nipped.

Lengthy bans (6 - 12 mths, even longer for serial career wreckers) will phase out the established snipers, and herald a warning for young loose cannons (any yth coach who loosely encourages it) as they progress through the ranks.

That's a bit like the citing system in rugby isn't it? I'm not really sure how well it works. I'm not a rugby fan. But it makes more intuitive sense than the current system where it's pretty much three games no matter what the offense and nothing at all if the ref had seen it at the time.

Having said that, rugby doesn't exactly seem like the cleanest of sports. There aren't many other sports where you reguarly hear of people being banned for gouging.

My guess would be video of the tackle along with being a physio :lol:

bold is key, "may"