Alan Pardew

Mike

He got the team right in 2 games & we played some decent attacking football.  But, he still only plays that way when he believes that the squad is at full strength (even when a lot of us could see us playing the exact same type of football with slightly different personnel).  He clearly doesn't have a lot of faith in some of the squad & doesn't have a game plan that allows for injuries, suspensions or transfers.

The real tests will be what happens against a "bigger" team & what happens if we get a couple of injuries to members of his first XI.  Will he fall back to type & surrender to the title-chasers before the game has even kicked off & will he fall back to the safety first shitfest that we had most of last season when his first choice team aren't available?

Sometimes safety first is the logical approach when playing against teams with more firepower than you. The problem is Pardew doesn't do that right considering the players we've got. We didn't counter well last season because he hoofed the ball firstly, and secondly we didn't get players up to support the striker when we had it. Everything about Pardew suggests to me that he doesn't know how to coach a team and he just puts players in there and hopes it works. The signing of Remy has helped massively there, but what does he do when he's injured?

I will give him credit when he does right things and slate him when he get's things wrong for more than a few games (I will accept him trying different things)

At the moment he has done the right things in last 2 games and I liked the shape and everything on Saturday.

Guest Haris Vuckic

The criticism of Pardew was in no way OTT last season, we very very very nearly went down, and all Pardew had to offer was poor excuses.

Like having lost more than twice the days of any other team to injuries whilst having more fixtures than 80% of teams. Seriously, look it up.

Aye that in no way effects a team. (It seems important to say I don't think Pardew performed very well at all last year)

Guest Haris Vuckic

Europe and injuries were factors, not excuses imo. He failed big time with what he still had available.

How is a factor that causes you to under perform not an excuse?

Players he had available.

A. The players regularly weren't available - that's the point.

B. The fringe players are/were nowhere near good enough.

C. I still think he under performed - but there were numerous factors.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We had Ba, Ben Arfa and Cisse fit for virtually all of the first half of the season and managed something like 20 points from 20 games. Relegation form.

Players not being available as an excuse is f***ing bullshit.

It's fact.

We had Ba, Ben Arfa and Cisse fit for virtually all of the first half of the season and managed something like 20 points from 20 games. Relegation form.

Players not being available as an excuse is f***ing bullshit.

It's fact.

That you're a bit of a frustrated fairy? Yep.

Europe and injuries were factors, not excuses imo. He failed big time with what he still had available.

How is a factor that causes you to under perform not an excuse?

Players he had available.

A. The players regularly weren't available - that's the point.

B. The fringe players are/were nowhere near good enough.

C. I still think he under performed - but there were numerous factors.

A,B , and C are true.

If people choose to Ignore them they are either stupid, Ignorant or just hate Pardew and will find any excuse for it.

Guest bimpy474

Not an excuse in the world for playing hoofball with the squad he had. No one who sticks up for him will explain that.

Please try to explain the shite football, and what injuries and the Europa Cup had to do with hoofing it to Cisse, playing Cisse on the wing, playing Jonas every single game, picking Tiote ahead of Vurnon. Shortage of players maybe, but surely you still get the 11 you have to pass the ball. Or is Pardew excused that as well ?.

Please explain away.....

Part of the managers job is to ensure players are fit and available for selection by implementing the right training and recovery conditions and getting the right people alongside him.

my belief is this was severely hampered by lack of investment last summer.

Bimpy makes fair points, its hard to justify most of the shit we saw last season,

I feel we need to move on and see what can be done without the distraction of Europe/ and with this squad, best players fit.

The time for the excuses is up tho from my point of view, its make or break for him now.

The first 11 we had out were often far superior to the one we were up against in games that we lost and drew last year, it's really as simple as that for me.  We were far less than the sum of our parts for almost the entire season.  Even the games we won and snatched draws from were ugly on the whole and we almost made a pig's ear of a few of them.  Really fortunate not to go down IMO.

I don't get this 'Pardew under-performed but it's not his fault' line. If it wasn't his fault then he wasn't under-performing.

The team under-performed last season for a few reasons and one of them was the approach of then manager.

Injuries, lack of investment, extra games are a suitable excuse for not pushing for top 7 again. They were all obviously factors.

In no way should we have finished where we did. Think things are on the mend though.

Cant argue with this.

For some people tho it appears its gone past the point of no return and nothing short of his head will do.

If we do have a good season, and granted at this stage its a big IF, will it be spoiled for those people because he is the manager? What could he achieve that would appease them?

Injuries, lack of investment, extra games are a suitable excuse for not pushing for top 7 again. They were all obviously factors.

In no way should we have finished where we did. Think things are on the mend though.

The lack of investment hasn't improved much :lol:

We're a couple of injuries away from being a very different perfoming team to the one we saw against Villa imo. Of course, hopefully that won't happen but it's bound to at some point.