Alan Pardew

Mike

If you're talking owners working against their manager look no further than Hughton. He lost loads of players and was given peanuts to replace them and apparently Ashley etc hated him but did a really, really good job and I f***ing love him so there.

Sorry can't see that at all. Hughton was backed in our championship season, look at the players we kept in that squad and look how much it cost Ashley to keep them. Of course Ashley had no choice in the circumstances. Genuine question as I haven't looked it up: who did Hughton lose?

If you're talking owners working against their manager look no further than Hughton. He lost loads of players and was given peanuts to replace them and apparently Ashley etc hated him but did a really, really good job and I f***ing love him so there.

Sorry can't see that at all. Hughton was backed in our championship season, look at the players we kept in that squad and look how much it cost Ashley to keep them. Of course Ashley had no choice in the circumstances. Genuine question as I haven't looked it up: who did Hughton lose?

If there were bids for the good players that stayed they'd have gone too.

We lost probably £25million worth of players and replaced them with about £4millions worth that season. The summer we came back up he was given Tiote, Gosling, Campbell, Perch and Ben Arfa (on loan) totalling about £4.5 million.

We lost probably £25million worth of players and replaced them with about £4millions worth that season. The summer we came back up he was given Tiote, Gosling, Campbell, Perch and Ben Arfa (on loan) totalling about £4.5 million.

Your first sentence is just an opinion and is not based on anything much. We kept a fantastic squad by Championship standards and added to it in the January so I think Hughton was backed.

Have had a look, are we talking Owen, Duff, Beye, Bassong, Martins, Viduka leaving- anyone else? At that stage of their careers Owen, Viduka and Beye had little value and (much as I liked them all - at times) good riddance imo. We got good money for Martins and Bassong neither have proven to be worth it. Arguably Duff has actually proved to have some value as he's played Premiership football ever since. I don't think we lost anyone of any significance under Hughton.

By the way I understand you like him, he's a decent professional and man. He was treated badly. But I don't think he's as good a manager as Pardew, and that's based on nothing other than it being my opinion.

Having come up, we spent less than Blackpool and West Brom who came up with us. He got absolutely nowt yet it's long been fair game to call the bloke worse than shit on here, whilst Pardew, a shit manager who plays excruciatingly dull football and has no respect whatsoever for the club or the supporters, is a sacred cow in many eyes. Absolutely bizarre.

Your first sentence is just an opinion and is not based on anything much. We kept a fantastic squad by Championship standards and added to it in the January so I think Hughton was backed.

Have had a look, are we talking Owen, Duff, Beye, Bassong, Martins, Viduka leaving- anyone else? At that stage of their careers Owen, Viduka and Beye had little value and (much as I liked them all - at times) good riddance imo. We got good money for Martins and Bassong neither have proven to be worth it. Arguably Duff has actually proved to have some value as he's played Premiership football ever since. I don't think we lost anyone of any significance under Hughton.

By the way I understand you like him, he's a decent professional and man. He was treated badly. But I don't think he's as good a manager as Pardew, and that's based on nothing other than it being my opinion.

They've been banging on about the cost of relegation for years so getting another £200+k off the wage bill and another £15-20million in transfer fees would have delighted them. I don't see how that's an opinion knowing what we know.

It's not who we lost, it's how many and how much of the money was reinvested. We're extremely lucky those cheap deals and loans paid off so well or we'd still be down there.

Hughton finished 5 places higher than us last year with a far worse team. Not too shabby.

So do you rate Hughton or not - by all means dont sit on the fence..

Asking me? As a manager not really. Like the guy though, loved our Championship season but he had arguably the best squad that has ever played Championship football. Under him in the Premiership we relied a lot on long balls from the likes of Barton into Andy Carroll and then Nolan being in the right place. It was no better football than the stuff people have been unhappy with under Pardew. When Pardew came in he had no Carroll, and he got some results with people like Best and Lovenkrands in the side, I'm not at all sure Hughton would have done that tbh. Rightly or wrongly I feel Pardew is a better man manager as well. We don't know all that goes on behind the scenes so I freely admit that's speculation. 

Asking me? As a manager not really. Like the guy though, loved our Championship season but he had arguably the best squad that has ever played Championship football. Under him in the Premiership we relied a lot on long balls from the likes of Barton into Andy Carroll and then Nolan being in the right place. It was no better football than the stuff people have been unhappy with under Pardew. When Pardew came in he had no Carroll, and he got some results with people like Best and Lovenkrands in the side, I'm not at all sure Hughton would have done that tbh. Rightly or wrongly I feel Pardew is a better man manager as well. We don't know all that goes on behind the scenes so I freely admit that's speculation. 

Aye, the mackems and Villa games were fucking rotten, scoring a goal then trying to score another, then another. Where do people get this absolute rubbish? :lol:

As for Pardew coming in with no Carroll, I must have blanked out that Liverpool game. Dear me.

They've been banging on about the cost of relegation for years so getting another £200+k off the wage bill and another £15-20million in transfer fees would have delighted them. I don't see how that's an opinion knowing what we know.

It's not who we lost, it's how many and how much of the money was reinvested. We're extremely lucky those cheap deals and loans paid off so well or we'd still be down there.

Hughton finished 5 places higher than us last year with a far worse team. Not too shabby.

I'm not a believer in lucky transfers tbh. You make your own luck by and large. We could have spent many millions more than we did on the players we have signed and no one would have thought we'd overpaid. Can't and won't argue much about last season. Pardew handled the Europa experience badly, the only mitigation I've got is that he had never managed in Europe before and it proved to be beyond him. I don't think he's any better than an average manager. btw.

Hughton's the only manager to ever get consistent performances out of Andy Carroll btw, but I realise that doesn't suit people's agendas.

Seen plenty raving about the performances Pardew got out of Perch and Ryan Taylor though. :thup:

Aye, the mackems and Villa games were f***ing rotten, scoring a goal then trying to score another, then another. Where do people get this absolute rubbish? :lol:

As for Pardew coming in with no Carroll, I must have blanked out that Liverpool game. Dear me.

Loved those games. But there were some shockers as well and there was plenty of grumbling on here after some rank performances under Hughton. And yes we've had shockers under Pardew but FFS it hasn't all been shyte.

Was it just the one game Pardew had with Carroll?

Aye, the mackems and Villa games were f***ing rotten, scoring a goal then trying to score another, then another. Where do people get this absolute rubbish? :lol:

Loved those games. But there were some shockers as well and there was plenty of grumbling on here after some rank performances under Hughton. And yes we've had shockers under Pardew but FFS it hasn't all been shyte.

Poor performances were to be expected, we'd just been promoted and spent almost nothing!

It's been largely shite. I haven't enjoyed three games in the last eighteen months, and even when we finished fifth, other than half a dozen games the football stank to high heaven.

I hardly think you can class a 3-1 defeat to West Brom alongside 0-3 and 0-6. "Shockers" doesn't begin to cover what Pardew has put us through. I'd love to know what it is about the man that has so many defending him even now. He's utterly detestable as a man and as a manager.

How is last season less worthy of the sack to you than Hughton's four months was?

Poor performances were to be expected, we'd just been promoted and spent almost nothing!

It's been largely s****. I haven't enjoyed three games in the last eighteen months, and even when we finished fifth, other than half a dozen games the football stank to high heaven.

I hardly think you can class a 3-1 defeat to West Brom alongside 0-3 and 0-6. "Shockers" doesn't begin to cover what Pardew has put us through. I'd love to know what it is about the man that has so many defending him even now. He's utterly detestable as a man and as a manager.

How is last season less worthy of the sack to you than Hughton's four months was?

Fair enough - your enjoyment is beyond debate in that no one can tell you otherwise. You go to more games than I do but I've enjoyed more of the football I've seen than you have, I probably am more easily pleased.

I don't think anyone on here is especially pro Pardew (Brett is close though), I think the most anyone would say is that he's a bang average manager. The argument centres on who would replace him if we did sack him, and would it be another bang average manager or a less than bang average manager. The Sunderland betting list is a decent starting point (although it contains a few non starters to be fair). Debates on the merits of the likes of MON, McLaren etc over Pardew are pointless imo. I would support sacking Pardew if I knew we would find an undisputable upgrade. I am not convinced our owner knows enough about the game or enough people in the game to do that.     

I don't think Hughton has done "a marvellous job" by winning the Championship.  It is a league where Shola can score like VPS.

Instead I think his work on getting us sitting in mid table before getting sacked was more impressive.

It's been largely s****. I haven't enjoyed three games in the last eighteen months, and even when we finished fifth, other than half a dozen games the football stank to high heaven.

Fair enough - your enjoyment is beyond debate in that no one can tell you otherwise. You go to more games than I do but I've enjoyed more of the football I've seen than you have, I probably am more easily pleased.

I don't think anyone on here is especially pro Pardew (Brett is close though), I think the most anyone would say is that he's a bang average manager. The argument centres on who would replace him if we did sack him, and would it be another bang average manager or a less than bang average manager. The Sunderland betting list is a decent starting point (although it contains a few non starters to be fair). Debates on the merits of the likes of MON, McLaren etc over Pardew are pointless imo. I would support sacking Pardew if I knew we would find an undisputable upgrade. I am not convinced our owner knows enough about the game or enough people in the game to do that.     

In a rather large set of average to poor English managers that are essentially indistinguishable from each other ability wise, Pardew is the one who's capable (or desperate, if you want to see it that way) of working with the ownership without throwing his toys out the pram.

I'll take that for now given that my expectations for the club under this regime are close to nil.

He had a pop in May that the Europa league was no excuse for dwindling league form.

But Laudrup did no better at Getafe. UEFA quarter finals and 14th.  It was their worst finish sinnce being promoted back to the Primera Liga. Having not failed to finish top half for years previous. He had similar problems in a relegation battle at Mallorca in his one season there. Finished 1 point clear of relegation with a club who finished 5th the year before he arrived and 8th the next year without him.

You've put some canny negative spin on the job he did at Spain mind.  Laudrup got Gatafe to the final of the Copa del Rey as well as the UEFA quarters.  He did that and they only dropped 5 points from the season before when they qualified for Europe through the domestic cup, not the league.  You can't compare that fall from grace with ours when we went out of both domestic cups at the first attempt, the FA Cup against Brighton and we went from 5th top to 5th bottom with a 24 points drop season on season.  :lol:

Are you trying to claim that Laudrup was responsible for the decline at Mallorca?  More spin.  The club were screwed before he arrived as they were skint and had to flog anything that moved.  I'm sure Shepherd was rumoured to be interested in buying them but he was pipped by some other Walter Mitty who didn't have the money to buy them.  They were declared bankrupt and kicked out of the UEFA Cup because they couldn't rub 2 pesetas together.  It was a massive plus for Laudrup that they actually managed to stay in the top division after losing the best part of the team. 

Rather have a manager or string of managers who did throw their toys out of the pram. Better than circling the drain feeling as disconnected as I/we do.

I'd rather not. Each managerial sacking and appointment brings the significant chance for complete collapse and relegation, as opposed to the reasonably safe and unexciting shitness that we have right now. (Yes, we almost went down last season but the fact that we didn't in the end despite being abject for the majority of the season just reinforces my belief that it's extremely hard to go down without some sort of structural collapse at the upper levels of the club.)

I'd rather circle the drain and hope we'll be relieved of our current predicament in the near future than take the chance of getting sucked in.

The football Laudrup plays should be more than enough to want anyone to change imo. I'd sell my granny to have an exciting attacking manager like him.

I go to the match to watch NUFC try and beat the other team by as many goals as possible, not to be bored, lose, then come home and console myself with carefully selected statistics.

A season ticket holder saw Newcastle win 33% more games than a Swansea season ticket holder last year. But I know facts tend to cloud the issue so I apologise for mentioning it.

"Last year" isn't the same as last season. Is this another one of your creative uses of stats?

No. I meant last season. We won 9 at home. They won 6.

Its a pointless discussion.  Like being asked who would win a fight between the grufallo and sasquatch.  I named several other PL managers I wouldn't be fussed on at the same time. It's really not worth pages of discussion.

..and how about this season so far...?? I bet the Swansea fans would cut off their right arms to swap Laudrup for Pardew - NOT.

As for your assertion about Pardew having as good a record as Laudrup...who won a trophy last year..something Pardew has never done ? Ask W Ham, Charlton and Saints fans if they would have Pardew back.

Rather have a manager or string of managers who did throw their toys out of the pram. Better than circling the drain feeling as disconnected as I/we do.

I'd rather not. Each managerial sacking and appointment brings the significant chance for complete collapse and relegation, as opposed to the reasonably safe and unexciting shitness that we have right now. (Yes, we almost went down last season but the fact that we didn't in the end despite being abject for the majority of the season just reinforces my belief that it's extremely hard to go down without some sort of structural collapse at the upper levels of the club.)

I'd rather circle the drain and hope we'll be relieved of our current predicament in the near future than take the chance of getting sucked in.

Tend to agree. With an owner I trusted, I'd want Pardew out, but under the current regime I'd be much more fearful than excited if Pardew was sacked.

I want Pardew out, but at the same time I don't trust Ashley to replace him at all, especially with that knacker Kinnear so far up his arse. We're fucked either way, so I'd rather we just stuck with Pardew now and saw this out. Realistically all we can hope for now is staying in the Premier League until Ashley is gone and we're finished with this nightmare. I just hope the free advertising for Sports Direct isn't so significant that he's going no where because of it.

Difference between relegation and this is minimal in terms of enjoyment of the football for me. Happy to twist through Ashley's mixed bag of appointments on the basis that the alternative cannot possibly be much worse, but we could get lucky - worthwhile gamble IMO. Pardew gone is one less bad choice on the table, then the same with Kinnear after that.

If NUFC are making enough profit to enable FMA to repay his loans then what makes people think he'd dispose of us once they're paid back?  If you had a business earning you 20m a year would you get rid of it?

Ashley will likely be here for a while, I'd rather get rid of Pardew now and hope he takes a chance on a cheap young manager.  Better than sticking with this shite season after season.

The thing is though, there's a very long list of managers just as bad if not worse than Pardew that would all be first in line for the job. I'd rather we just stuck with one bad manager than chopped and changed through old has beens for the next few years. Pardew is terrible, but in his time here we haven't gone down, there are much worse managers that would take us down. We could of course get lucky, but when has that ever happened to us?

Decent established managers cost too much money for Ashley and won't put up with his nonsense. If we got lucky with an unproven manager then realistically how long would he stay here? He'd probably want more money eventually and would probably attract the interests of other more ambitious football clubs. Ashley's set up is built for bad managers who are happy to just be at a club like Newcastle, or even just be employed for that matter.