Alan Pardew

Mike

We need someone proven, although we never will get that. We've had shite sub standard managers for years and we wonder why we suffer.

I don't see anybody who is proven to be good coming to work for JFK. It's an oxymoron. Forget it, it's not going to happen. That's why I think the most likely 'best case' is an unknown foreigner, another Ashley gamble.

It's obviously more likely to be a Poyet or Di Matteo, of course, but to me that wouldn't be the best outcome.

I suppose, another way of looking at this, is to ask yourself who would you be gutted that the Mackems appointed?

Of those realistically available to both clubs, who would you be pissed off that they appointed first or ahead of us?

There's nobody for me because even Poyet or RdM is a risk.

I don't see anybody who is proven to be good coming to work for JFK. It's an oxymoron. Forget it, it's not going to happen. That's why I think the most likely 'best case' is an unknown foreigner, another Ashley gamble.

It's obviously more likely to be a Poyet or Di Matteo, of course, but to me that wouldn't be the best outcome.

I'd take your hand off for Poyet or Di Matteo, at least I could regain some hope that we won't be shite by default.

Di Matteo is significantly better, his Chelsea played good football ( once he got the job the CL run style was turgid obv) and they were still in the title race before he got the boot.

I'd take him all day long.

There's an argument to say that it's easier getting £xxxm's of first team talent to play decent football when they are inherently better footballers than most of their opponents anyway, that's why they play at Chelsea and not Norwich.

I'd take your hand off for Poyet or Di Matteo, at least I could regain some hope that we won't be shite by default.

What makes you think they'd be 'that' much better than AP though? What have they proven elsewhere to give you that confidence?

Edit - and forget about the CL victory for RDM. I had just as much to do with that as he did.

Di Matteo is significantly better, his Chelsea played good football ( once he got the job the CL run style was turgid obv) and they were still in the title race before he got the boot.

There's an argument to say that it's easier getting £xxxm's of first team talent to play decent football when they are inherently better footballers than most of their opponents anyway, that's why they play at Chelsea and not Norwich.

Yet Pardew can't get anything from our significantly better players.

Yet Pardew can't get anything from our significantly better players.

True but AP didn't follow on from years of work from top managers like Mourinho, Schlori etc etc.

Also, Chelsea have a fairly solid group of established players who've probably got a big say in terms of culture. To a greater or lesser extent I should imagine Terry/Lampard etc pretty much train themselves, know their roles and can quickly understand what a new manager wants from them.

What makes you think they'd be 'that' much better than AP though? What have they proven elsewhere to give you that confidence?

I don't know that they are better but at least I would be able to have a bit of hope, I know Pardew is a poor manager.  I don't know that the other two are as bad as he is and it would be worth the gamble.

My first choice would be to get enough points to get through to the summer and sack him then and replace him with somebody better but that's not going to happen.  Sacking him is more likely to be reactionary rather than something planned for the good of the club.

Edit - and forget about the CL victory for RDM. I had just as much to do with that as he did.

That's rubbish, they were virtually out of the CL before he took over, I'm sure they were 3-1 down from the first leg.

I don't know that they are better but at least I would be able to have a bit of hope, I know Pardew is a poor manager.  I don't know that the other two are as bad as he is and it would be worth the gamble.

My first choice would be to get enough points to get through to the summer and sack him then and replace him with somebody better but that's not going to happen.  Sacking him is more likely to be reactionary rather than something planned for the good of the club.

Yep - makes sense. There's nobody on the market in Ashleys price range (£0) that inspires me to think we should bullet AP before this guys gets snapped up.

I think AP has shot his bolt here and is a busted flush now but there's no point in replacing dross with dross. Like you, I'd prefer to wait for the right appointment.

That's rubbish, they were virtually out of the CL before he took over, I'm sure they were 3-1 down from the first leg.

If anything, I'll give him 'new manager' bounce/influence. A very lucky victory that, ultimately, still didn't even convince the owner that he was capable.

I'd happily see us take a punt on Di Matteo. Wouldn't have dreamed of saying that a couple of years ago, like.

Tbh there's not that many I wouldn't take a punt on. One of those is Kinnear, btw. I'd probably be the most gutted I've ever been if he was manager again.

Besides Di Matteo won the FA Cup that year as well, i and everyone else here would snap your hands off for one of those.

And I would too but he still comes with it all to prove. I actually thought he'd done a half decent job at WBA. I think I even started a thread about him at the time but we need a man/manager capable to instilling an ethos throughout the whole of the playing staff and club. Easy to say, I know, but we need something we some proven ability to do just that or someone who has shown the signs of doing that abroad imho.

Edit - FWIW, I think RDM is much more likely for us than GP as RDM seems more of a yes man to me.

I know the arguments but I still can't believe anyone would rather have that vile cunt Kinnear as manager. Even purely from a footballing point of view (so not discounting horrible personalities, etc) - the difference would be pointlessly minimal, or potentially worse. At least some of the players currently appear to like Pardew a bit.

I know the arguments but I still can't believe anyone would rather have that vile cunt Kinnear as manager. Even purely from a footballing point of view - so not discounting horrible personalities, etc - the difference would be so minimal or potentially worse. At least some of the players currently appear to like Pardew a bit.

:thup:. My thoughts exactly.

Frying pan to fire iyam.

If anything, I'll give him 'new manager' bounce/influence. A very lucky victory that, ultimately, still didn't even convince the owner that he was capable.

I can't see anything lucky in winning 4-1.  Also the fans at Chelsea and WBA wanted to keep him and that doesn't point to him being too bad.  I know fans can be wrong but I don't think he's shown that he's poor at either club.

At least some of the players currently appear to like Pardew a bit.

See, dude, you'll realise the drawback of that if you get this job you're interviewing for. They aren't playing for him and haven't been for months.

I know the arguments but I still can't believe anyone would rather have that vile cunt Kinnear as manager. Even purely from a footballing point of view - so not discounting horrible personalities, etc - the difference would be so minimal or potentially worse. At least some of the players currently appear to like Pardew a bit.

:thup:. My thoughts exactly.

Frying pan to fire iyam.

Yep, it would solve absolutely nothing. Under Pardew we might/probably won't go down. Really not worth switching to Kinnear for. I just couldn't bare the thought of him being the main man, representing this thing I adore and cherish so dearly. Especially a second time, after what happened last time. I'd feel physically sick, I think. It was bad enough when he came back in his current capacity.

At least some of the players currently appear to like Pardew a bit.

See, dude, you'll realise the drawback of that if you get this job you're interviewing for. They aren't playing for him and haven't been for months.

I know - I can't deny that. But the second half at Everton (as nominal an improvement as it was) provides some evidence that there's at least a tiny modicum of respect left there. With Kinnear there'd be absolutely zero. I'm just saying it wouldn't be worth the switch.

That's another thing. If Pardew gets sacked and Kinnear gets the job, we're basically rid of both.

Pardew is here for over 6 years if he gets through his contract, Kinnear wouldn't last a year.