Summer shake-up

Tiresias

And expected it halfway through a relegation battle.

Aye his timing was shocking, lots of fans will no doubt give him a standing ovation as a goodbye as well

I think he deserves that simply because of how great he's generally been for us. It shouldn't be forgotten that his actions very nearly contributed to us going down, though, and he would have done it gladly had the club not dug their heels in.

Looking at the squad, there's several I wouldn't be arsed about leaving, but I wouldn't actively be looking to sell anyone besides total deadwood.

Would sell/release:

Harper - end of contract, won't be missed.

Simpson - end of contract, won't be missed.

Sammy - never going to make it, expendable.

Gosling - never going to make it, expendable.

Those are the only four I would be looking to move on.

Likely sales:

Tiote - an idiot who has been completely found out, could potentially recoup double what we paid.

Obertan - never good enough, could potentially recoup what we paid and try another orthodox winger.

Anita - can't see him ever working under Pardew, could potentially recoup what we paid.

If we got reasonable offers for any of those three, I wouldn't cry into my pillow if they left. Ideally I'd keep everyone besides them four listed above, but those three appear likely candidates for sale.

As for incomings:

An orthodox winger.

A striker.

A centre-back, whether Colo leaves or not.

Obertan is the only out-and-out winger in the squad, so whether or not someone was daft enough to come in for him, we need another one. Ben Arfa, Jonas, Marveaux and Gouffran are the others who've occupied positions on the wing - but it's not their best position for anyone. Even if it just meant a squaddie, I'd like to see an orthodox winger come in.

It goes without saying that we need a striker. Cisse, Gouffran, Shola, Campbell and Carroll (for eg) would be a reasonable pool of strikers.

Centre-back's the obvious one, especially if Colo goes. I can't see us going out and spending megabucks to replace him, though.

Will be interesting to see how we rate our fringe players. Given Pardew's previous damning statement in January about younger and fringe players not being up to scratch, we shall see how much back tracking he does or if he lives up to his word with strengthening the squad. Already looks like backtracking is the route, having spoken last week about how the younger players will be better from this years experience.

So how do we rate the youngsters coming up to fill the "underbelly" of the squad.

Inman - a revelation on loan but maybe closer to his eventual level? Or maybe a better bet than Gosling/attacking central mid we are lacking.

Sameobi - Replacement for Obertan in the squad or another loan spell? Looked initially good a Boro then fizzled out, much like with us.

Fergie - Personally love this guy, should be part of the squad permanently, but needs game time. Loan?

Bigi - Still raw and error prone but looked no worse than much of the midfield. A sure squad player but needs minutes.

Dummett - Apparently well love in Scotland from his loan spell, looked nervous but not severely out of depth when he played for us. Loan spell in the championship surely.

Good - Great loan spell for Bradford, probably more of the same with a championship club next year.

Vuckic - Was part of our squad before injury - looks slow as f*** but doesnt help he has never been fully fit. Another loan spell or squad place? Surely his last chance to prove his many fans in the scouting business right or he will surely be on the scrap heap here.

Newton - a year contract on the table but an exciting loan spell. Like Dummett will probably end up in the championship for the year if he stays.

Tavernier - With Simpson out, surely the chance to push himself in the picture is his. I don't think we will strengthen at RB with Debuchy, Santon, Tavs, Anita all capable of playing there.

Abeid - A good loan spell and he wants to go back next year. Wouldnt begrudge him the experience but maybe in the Championship instead.

Campbell - looks bright but hasn't had a proper chance to shine in the first team. As of now he offers pace up front which we are lacking a little. Depending on what we bring in surely a squad place or championship loan beckons.

Richardson - Like Dummett, Inman and Newton probably a make or break season.

Mbabu - Still settling into English life, but highly rated, will be interesting to see what happens.

I'd agree with most of that.  It'd be good to see Vuckic have a prolonged spell injury free and get a bit of game time. 

Campbell I wouldn't send out on loan though.  If we bring in one more striker then i'd rather see AC take Shola's place on the bench as 3rd choice.

Depends what we do with Sammy and where we want to use him. We are "supposed" to be looking for two strikers this summer. Hopefully an out and out striker and a Winger/Striker for the left side.

Cisse, New Striker, Gouffran, Sammy, New Striker, Shola  Gives us plenty of options, hopefully we don't need to use the last one as he is a bloody certain squad place filler.

A new striker (Bony for me) would be enough. Instead we should bring in 2 wingers. We bloody need some natural wingers as both HBA and Gouffran are not real wingers.

In addition, a new right back, a new CB, another one if Colo leaves, a new defensive midfielder if Tiote leaves. That would be ok. A new GK backup would be more than welcomed too. Elliot is just fine. So in total 5-6 new players.

Krul (New Backup)

Debuchy (New Backup)

Colo (Mbiwa)

Taylor (New Backup / Williamson)

Santon (Haidara)

Tiote (Perch)

Cabaye (Anita)

Sissoko (Vuckic)

HBA (Marveaux)

New Winger (New Winger)

Cisse (Bony, Gouffran)

Disposal:

Harper, Simpson, Jonas, Amalfitano, Gosling, Shola, Obertan (if we sign 2 wingers, or else I'd rather keep him)

Loan Out:

Tavernier, Sammy, Shane, Bigi, Abeid, Campbell