Summer shake-up

Tiresias

I think I'd be happy to keep Jonas as a back up defensive midfielder

You are clearly in the "I like pardew" minority.  As much as I like the guy (Jonas) he has been one of the reasons we have been so shite this season, more so because our wanker of a manager could never see it.

Except what joeyt said is completely correct and understandable. And your first sentence is trash.

I think I'd be happy to keep Jonas as a back up defensive midfielder

You are clearly in the "I like pardew" minority.  As much as I like the guy (Jonas) he has been one of the reasons we have been so s**** this season, more so because our w***** of a manager could never see it.

He's been largely fine in the middle of the park

Contracts expiring 2014 - Perch, Gosling, Ameobi.

Decisions will have to be made regarding these players in the summer anyway. In addition to an obvious Harper departure, I think Gosling will be sold too. Ameobi to be blatantly given an extension if Pardew stays of course.

I'd be ok with Jonas staying if a new manager came in and saw what he can do, which is hold up the ball and keep him as a backup DM and never played him on the wing. While Pardew is manager he will always be first choice left winger

Another consideration for any summer activity:

Taking league squad registration into consideration.

September's List (-Ba, 21 20 players):

Romain Amalfitano, Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Demba Ba, Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Robert Elliot, Dan Gosling, Stephen Harper, Jonas Gutierrez, Timothy Krul, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Daniel Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Mike Williamson, Xisco.

January additions (4):

Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Sissoko, Gouffran, Haidara (U21, need not be registered)

So we've filled the available slots for Febuary's squad registration.

Possible summer departures (4 3):

Simpson, Xisco, Coloccini, Harper

Turning 22 next season, needs registration (3 2):

Santon, Ranger, Ferguson

So one two available slots pending any departures. If we follow up on PEA, that's the final slot filled. I can see a few departures besides the usual suspects, especially in areas we are well-stocked in, such as central midfield.

Afaik, any players we loan out are included in the 25-man list (Xisco was included while at Deportivo) and if there is available slot(s), all over-21 players have to be registered and can't be left out (Owen at Stoke).

Edit: 8 home-grown players as per PL rules too.

Updated the numbers a bit.

The biggest thing we can do is sack Pardew and it'd be nice to give Ben Arfa a new contract. As well as Simpson, Gosling and Obertan, I think I'd sell Tiote for a decent price. I like Anita but Pardew doesn't so maybe replace him with someone like Diame or James McCarthy. Coloccini probably goes to San Lorenzo, so I think we need a backup GK, a centre back, a winger/striker and another striker.

Not a lot needs doing tbh.

I'll probably get slated for this, but if we do try get Carroll back, we may as well make inquiries about Milner. English, knows the club, possibly surplus to requirements if they change their manager and can whip a ball in. Miles better option than Jonas. Doubt he'd cost a fortune too

I'll probably get slated for this, but if we do try get Carroll back, we may as well make inquiries about Milner. English, knows the club, possibly surplus to requirements if they change their manager and can whip a ball in. Miles better option than Jonas. Doubt he'd cost a fortune too

That's crazy... ...but it might just work.

As much as I hate Simpson, he isn't a bad player to have on the squad. Jonas and Willo have their uses as well AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T PLAYING ALL OF OUR GAMES.

The only players I'd get rid of at the moment is Obertan and possibly Gosling, if only to make room for Sammy, Vuckic, Ferguson and Campbell.

I'm actually really optimistic about next season. With a new manager and a full offseason for the frenchies to gel... we could be pushing for europa again I think.

But we really, REALLY, need to sign a striker. Preferably two. This whole "Cisse or nothing" approach is fucked.

If we kept all of our players and Pardew was sacked in favour of a better manager (not going to happen, I know) I think we maybe only need one major addition (a wide forward/Striker a la Remy/PEA). Pardew's talk yesterday of lacking in squad depth after the way he was backed in January was ridiculous.

If we lose both Cabaye and Ben Arfa, that is all of our creativity gone. Id say that would allow us to completely change our style. Fuck it, sign Mcmanaman, Mcarthy, Mcarthur, Maloney from Wigan....

In all seriousness though, not that the players leaving are the problem, but lets just get a team of players who can pass it around for fun. If we add a good defence to it, as well as a good striker, then we can have a cheap but nice playing squad. Jonas going would free up alot of wages for a squad player. Tiote going would just be good transfer fee.

If we lose both Cabaye and Ben Arfa, that is all of our creativity gone. Id say that would allow us to completely change our style. Fuck it, sign Mcmanaman, Mcarthy, Mcarthur, Maloney from Wigan....

In all seriousness though, not that the players leaving are the problem, but lets just get a team of players who can pass it around for fun. If we add a good defence to it, as well as a good striker, then we can have a cheap but nice playing squad. Jonas going would free up alot of wages for a squad player. Tiote going would just be good transfer fee.

Well I'd sign McCarthy anyway quality player

Would be typically ironic for this club if Pardew is sacked and we get a manager who is more suited for our players, with Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Colo leaving so the new manager is suddenly left with players more suited for Pardews style.

We need 5 players really.

Another GK - to replace Harper

Another CB - to replace Colo

Another RW - we need someone in the Ben Arfa mould for the right wing

2x Strikers - A target man and a pacy skillful striker - Remy and Aubermayeng would be immense and totally unlikely.

RB - I don't think Simpson is staying but I don't mind him as back up. He needs competition. I think that Tavernier or Santon could cover well enough there too.

CB - Really persuading Colo to stay should be top of the list. Either way we could do with one more to replace Williamson. Tavernier, Good and Streete arent ready yet.

LB - Covered with Haidara, Santon, Ferguson, Anita and even Guti if needed

DM - Could be argued we need more here but I think we are covered

CM - we have talent here if utilized correctly. I also think Marveaux could be our secret weapon through the middle.

LW/RW - We dont have a huge amount of talent for the wings Ben Arfa aside.

ST - We need to replace Ameobi and add two more classy strikers.

Wouldn't actively be pushing anyone out the door other than:

Gosling

Harper

Simpson

Gosling hasn't shown anything to demonstrate he can do a job for us, and is holding back the development of better players beneath him in the pecking order.

Harper has been a good servant and Simpson's contract looks like it won't be renewed.

Apart from that, unless we're getting upgrades I wouldn't push anyone out.

We've got craploads of central midfielders and very few who play naturally on the flanks (wingers or solano types).  Definitely need at least one more striker aswell, better two unless we think Campbell is ready to be our third choice.