John Beresford

nufcjb

But Beresford being similar to the best English left back of all time you find perfectly reasonable.

In style of play, I think he's very similar to Ashley Cole. Yes.

But I'm sure you're just being deliberately contrary here and are intelligent enough to know that there's a massive difference between comparing styles of play (which I was clearly doing) with quality of play (which I was clearly not doing).

Pearce was fucking immense in his time. Real class all round.

Came to this party too late.. but Wor Bez..  he and Barton were always questionable defensively but coming forward offered a lot. Gave us tons coming forward though which was of course the staple of the Keegan days. Agree that there was never much protection for the full backs which stacked against him. Scored an absolute screamer vs Villa the first time I got up to Newcastle to watch a game. Batty got a red too, good memories!

Surprised by the Domi references. Thought Distin was better. Neither were as good as Bernard or Bez though. Enrique was really classy. Tough pick between them. Bernard on form was very good in defence and a real threat coming forward. Shame we got Pearce too late, he was solid for us still.

Love the Peacock references, bloody loved `Gipsy` true cult hero for me and I was proper gutted when he left. Not convinced he was ever that good tbf had some true bramble shocker moments. Cracking in the air and a goal line clearance god though.

Domi going forward is the best left-back I've seen here.

You only need to watch the Shearer DVD for a snippet of why.

Left backs are in the side foremost to defend and Domi wasn't very good at it. Plus his attitude knocks points off for me , certainly rather have Bez in the trenches beside me than Domi, who we all know what unforgivable thing that he did.

I didn't think that Bez was all that good defensively either tbh, the only proper defender we had in the premier under Keegan was probably Peacock. Barton, Bersford and Albert were more about being good on the ball, although Venison was probably better in both respects even though he got bombed out by Keegan for indiscipline before Barton arrived.

What's this? I didn't know about that.

I remember thinking Peacock was s*** when I was a kid. I think I need to go back and rewatch some matches because it was probably because he was an out-and-out defender. Howey was a good defender as well tbh, he just seemed to be constantly injured.

Peacock was a decent defender, nowt special but could do a job......yeah he did get the blame at times but what would you expect when Albert, Beresford and Barton bombing up the the pitch with only him left at the back to try and stem the tide :lol:

Enrique, Bernard and Domi were better.

Nothing against Beresford though.  Happy Birthday John.....

No way were Bernard and Domi better than Beresford like. Fair enough Enrique probably was although he was hopeless when he first arrived and practically downed tools when he decided he wanted to leave so although i'd accept Enrique being the better player I think we got a lot more out of John Beresford.

I said in post #2 on here that Beresford was supposed to be opening the new Wall's End pub on Saturday. Turned out he couldn't make it so mackem fan Steve Howey turned up instead much to most peoples disappointment. On a side note Steve Wraith was there with him and I know he gets a lot of stick but I had a bit crack with him for a good 10 minutes or so (first time i've ever met the bloke) and I have to say what a smashing fella he is.

Domi not a patch on Bez and Bernard not as good either. For me, only Enrique comes close as he was a better defender.

In fact, had he not had so many injuries I reckon Robbie Elliot would have been the best LB since Kennedy and he certainly was the best local LB in years.

Guest Howaythetoon

Domi was arguably the best all-rounder at LB we've had in the PL years. Beresford is without doubt the biggest success though, although he wasn't the best either defensively or in attack. He did link up well down that flank though and never stopped running.

Enrique is the best defender we've had at LB and Bernard the best in attack. I've yet to see a better LB performance than his at the San Siro. He was immense that night.

Elliott could have been the best, as Merlin says. Distin played well for us at times there under Sir Bobby but was clearly better in the centre!

There was of course Pearce, a great LB in his day and although he did well for us, his best days were behind him. We've actually had some good full-backs down the years, especially at LB.

No way could Robbie Elliott have been the best left back of recent times.  Not nearly quick enough.

You obviously don't remember him before he left the first time. He had decent pace. Had everything, really.

Well... I do remember him - I just don't agree that he was quick enough.

It was the last 7-8 games where for the most part we saw Tino, Shearer & Ferdinand in the same team that really did it.Elliott came in for Ginola, and we won games, scored goals, kept clean sheets....Elliott was a key part of that and got some crucial goals (scored in the 4-3 v Leicester, the only goal at Highbury, etc).