The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Brighton appoint Fabian Hurzeler / Ten Hag to stay at Man Utd

cp40

Guest neesy111

I picked a best Wenger XI on BBC and all the players are now retired.

It has been over 5 years since any of them even played for Arsenal.

For all the money they earned from the CL they repeatedly sold players on for a profit without properly replacing them. Each iteration slightly worse than the last.

Wenger wasn’t the problem. It is a board that have sucked up all the spare money. Don’t let a couple of record transfers paper over the cracks here.

Arsenal will drop down the league because of the board. Wenger is their latest casualty, him leaving was not the solution to their woes

In hindsight moving to the Emirates stadium was possibly a huge mistake.

:dowie:

I love when he got sent to the stands at Old Trafford and couldn't get out of the dug out. So he just stood on the gantry above the tunnel, arms aloft :lol:

http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/177515_wengo5_516x350_55190a_jpgeec59c284da18065033cd7d54000396c

200.gif

I picked a best Wenger XI on BBC and all the players are now retired.

It has been over 5 years since any of them even played for Arsenal.

For all the money they earned from the CL they repeatedly sold players on for a profit without properly replacing them. Each iteration slightly worse than the last.

Wenger wasn’t the problem. It is a board that have sucked up all the spare money. Don’t let a couple of record transfers paper over the cracks here.

Arsenal will drop down the league because of the board. Wenger is their latest casualty, him leaving was not the solution to their woes

Superbly put.

Guest Howaythetoon

They won’t drop down the league man, they may finish 7th or something or even tenth but this isn’t the end of them. Get the right man in and they will be fine.

Guest Howaythetoon

They won’t drop down the league man, they may finish 7th or something or even tenth but this isn’t the end of them. Get the right man in and they will be fine.

7th - 10th is dropping down, like.

Aye but it will be a one off! Just like Man Utd under Moyes.

Unless they change their transfer policy, as James said, it wouldn’t be a one off.

Man Utd spent a fuckload of money to get out of that situation, will Arsenal?

Unless they change their transfer policy, as James said, it wouldn’t be a one off.

Which teams do you think are consistently going to finish above Arsenal and push them down to 7th-10th?

Guest Howaythetoon

One or two astute signings can make all the difference even with their poor (for them) squad. Again if they appoint the right man they will be fine and if they don’t they will keep looking until they do. They are too big a draw as a club to just drop off like we did after KK and then after Sir Bobby and even that had Sir Bobby took over from KK we would have been fine.

Which teams do you think are consistently going to finish above Arsenal and push them down to 7th-10th?

If we were bought out and ran properly, us.

Teams like Leicester, West Ham, Everton all have potential to - but again it’d depend on their dealings.

Arsenal are currently 6th. To finish 7th they’d only need one more team to finish above them, it’s hardly unrealistic. They’re only just about keeping Burnley at arms length this season :lol:

It’s a daft question really because it’s all ifs and buts at this stage, although the main point is that if they continue to sell their best players and replace them with lesser quality - it’s only going to go one way.

It's not unrealistic but Arsenal have been bad this season and not won an away game this year yet they're still 6th. I think it would be very unlikely to see them consistently in the 7-10th places for the next few years

Guest Howaythetoon

Currently watching the Premiear League years Wenger’s double. Forgot how many points Man Utd were ahead, more than we were ahead of them when we failed to win it. Arsenal they were sensational that year towards the second half of the season and in the FA Cup Final against us, it was so easy for them, we were bad, but they were far too good. They had the perfect blend of everything really.

I think when Fergie retired, a little of Wenger died inside. They had such an intense long lasting rivalry which spurred each manager and club on to do better.

Anyway, even today, Arsenal can be a joy to watch and Wenger will be a huge miss. In my lifetime there have been probably 3 managers in our league that have resonated with me in terms of how the game should be played and that’s KK who obviously instilled it into me in the first place, Wenger and now Klopp. Purists.

Guardiola is obviously a purist, but of the football I’ve seen since I started getting into football, KK, Wenger and Klopp have served up the best football or rather the kind of football I admire, want to see and prefer.

It may sound strange, but I’m not as daughnted at the prospect of facing Man City as I was against the Arsenal invincables. I have seen teams keep it tight against City to keep them back, being unlucky to lose in the end, and another team who have played them at their own game and beat them 3 times this season. That Arsenal team were something else, no matter what you did you just couldn’t hold them back. Henry was the World best forward at the time, he did things only Brazilians did before him. Their midfield was lethal, and their defence solid.

Guest chopey

Wenger has been fantastic and he had one great team, he also deserves massive credit for keeping them afloat during the stadium move and he deserves a great send off but it should have been 5 years ago and his pure stubbornness has held Arsenal back and I can totally understand the fans frustrations, I think Brendan Rodgers is the man to get them back to a top 4 challenge.

Don’t get the critisismof Arsenalfans at all like. I love the bloke but he’s underachieved for years now.

We of all fans can't call other fans for their hatred of their current manager to the dismay of the rest of the fans and pundits.

:thup:

He was getting death threats for finishing in the top 4 ffs :lol: Cant believe people are comparing him to Pardew and the situation here. Wenger showed great loyalty to Arsenal, kept them in the champions league every year during the transitional period where they moved stadiums and he was really limited with his spending compared to the teams he was expected to compete against. Even last season he was prepared to go out on a high after winning the FA cup but stayed on because there was no proper plan in place. He’s always wanted the best for the club at times to the detriment of his own reputation. Yes, he’s not delivered recently and should have been gone already but in no way does he deserve the humiliation and level of abuse he’s received. I don’t know, there must be a middle ground where you can want the manager gone but be respectful about it.

Guest firetotheworks

Don’t get the critisismof Arsenalfans at all like. I love the bloke but he’s underachieved for years now.

We of all fans can't call other fans for their hatred of their current manager to the dismay of the rest of the fans and pundits.

:thup:

He was getting death threats for finishing in the top 4 ffs [emoji38] Cant believe people are comparing him to Pardew and the situation here. Wenger showed great loyalty to Arsenal, kept them in the champions league every year during the transitional period where they moved stadiums and he was really limited with his spending compared to the teams he was expected to compete against. Even last season he was prepared to go out on a high after winning the FA cup but stayed on because there was no proper plan in place. He’s always wanted the best for the club at times to the detriment of his own reputation. Yes, he’s not delivered recently and should have been gone already but in no way does he deserve the humiliation and level of abuse he’s received. I don’t know, there must be a middle ground where you can want the manager gone but be respectful about it.

It should go without saying that agreeing that Arsenal have underachieved doesn't equate to agreeing with death threats, like. Likewise it should go without saying that I wouldn't equate 'Arsenal fans' with whoever sent the threats either, if they did.

Guest Howaythetoon

It may sound strange, but I’m not as daughnted at the prospect of facing Man City as I was against the Arsenal invincables. I have seen teams keep it tight against City to keep them back, being unlucky to lose in the end, and another team who have played them at their own game and beat them 3 times this season. That Arsenal team were something else, no matter what you did you just couldn’t hold them back. Henry was the World best forward at the time, he did things only Brazilians did before him. Their midfield was lethal, and their defence solid.

I feared them and a Man Utd massively at the time, even when we had a good team under Sir Bobby. Not fearing a hammering even though they were both capable, but they were so strong physically, mentally, tactically and of course ability wise. When Man Utd beat us 6-2 at SJP I didn’t think we played that badly, defensively we were awful, but going forward we created chances and had chances.

They were ruthless and just squatted us away. That Arsenal team from that era was for me the best I’ve seen, not as fluid as Barca or as precise as they were or Man City today, but they could play any way. Long and direct, not a problem. Toe to toe physically? Not a problem. Counter attack when under the cosh? Not a problem. Home and away, Saturday, Wednesday, after European football. They were both machine like.

I preferred Wenger’s Arsenal prime over Man Utd prime. When we beat them 3-1 away at Highbury man, that was amazing. We went top and I was disappointed Sir Bobby laughed off our title chances. Yes he was arguably being a realist, but KK would have said something like it’s ours to lose and laid down a challenge to the rest.

Those were good days. Man Utd and Arsenal were the top 2. Chelsea flirted as did Leeds and us and then Liverpool under Houllier. We got rid of Bobby and they brought in Rafa (our Rafa, how mad is that saying that) and went on to create a top 4 with Chelsea. That was the PL at its best. The games between the top 4 even if they weren’t exactly football feast were always hard fought and interesting and often explosive.

Today it’s all changed. I look at the league and I ask where is a Sir Bobby NUFC? Spurs today are akin to Liverpool under Rafa. Chelsea are Chelsea post Mourinho. Man Utd are like Liverpool back then under Rafa and similar to Spurs today and City, well, they are streets ahead it’s frightening really and that’s down to Pep who I admire and love in terms of style and philosophy, but it feels kind of false given the huge spending. Or rather inevitable. Style aside of course which to be fair he deserves massive praise and credit as it’s all him or down to him on that front.

Arsenal should be the Sir Bobby NUFC equiverent today, but they are a poor poor Arsenal. I think we beat them fairly comfortably last week. Not in terms of the scoreline I just felt we were comfortabl and felt we would never lose the game even when they went 1 up and when we went 2-1 up I thought this is ours. That’s testament to Rafa of course and how we now play. Not quite 1-0 to the Arsenal, but defensively today I don’t fear us getting turned over badly.

Anyway Wenger man, fucking hell, he’s past his sell by date, but it’s sad because it’s the end of not so much his era and legacy at Arsenal, but the end of the PL as it used to be, especially with Fergie now long retired. They spent money and paid massive wages, but they developed players, built teams from the bottom up and for me went about it all the right way. Fergie would never hoover up talent like Chelsea do and Wenger would spend just as much on a host of players for the academy than he would a certain position like goalkeeper.

Too long didn't read I know...

Guest Howaythetoon

My Wenger Arsenal XI

Seaman

Lauren Adams Campbell Cole

Ljunberg Vieira Gilberto Pirez

Henry Bergkamp

Petit was great for them, Fabregas as well who was arguably better than Gilberto as a footballer but he and Vieira were everything. They could go from box to box, tackle, pass, were leaders and despite not scoring many goals, always a threat from set pieces or coming from deep into the opposition box which people forget helps the strikers or forwards massively.

That team would push City all the way.

Man Utd

Schmeichel

G.Neville Ferdinand Stam Evra

Ronaldo Keane Scholes Giggs

Van Nistelrooy Rooney

Again that team would push Man City all the way.

Best XI aside, I think both in their pomp would push City close.

Guest firetotheworks

Possibly get what you mean though.

Lehmann>Wenger era Seaman

rather than just

Lehmann>Seaman

Aye?

Guest Howaythetoon

Lehmann > Seaman

In terms of years under Wenger aye, but Seaman looking back was a vastly underrated ‘keeper IMO. Put him between our sticks 95-96 for example and we win the league IMO.