2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Been in Rio before Greg? For me hands down the most beautiful city in the world. When you stand at the Arpoador looking over the Ipanema and Leblon beach you see what Rio is really about.

I've never been to Brasil.

I only have 2 days in Rio!

And then you feel the cold steel in your kidneys as your wallet slips from your pocket.

:thup:

Yeah don't walk around with wallets and stuff of value. I mean there's no need to. Money and possibly a credit card in the pocket is great as long as you remember to . Leave the watch at home, obviously iPhones exists everywhere so no problem walking around with them either. It's common sense in the end.

Been in Rio before Greg? For me hands down the most beautiful city in the world. When you stand at the Arpoador looking over the Ipanema and Leblon beach you see what Rio is really about.

Looks like thaey have plenty unfinished buildings from that video

You're in for a treat in Rio then. Best beach hands down is Ipanema and Leblon. Skip Posto 9s northern parts (every don't know how many meters of the beach have a station (posto)) which is numbered. Think 9s northern parts is purely for men who like men so unless your into that kind of stuff be careful not to walk into the middle of that crowd as they're ruthless predators when it comes to good looking men :lol: It's better to take the street to Arpoador.

Anyways no doubt you'll enjoy Brazil although Sao Paulo has nothing of worth to look at unless you want to shop expensive stuff or look at bunch of buildings.

Looks like thaey have plenty unfinished buildings from that video

In a way yes, it's a lot left to be done, but on the other hand Brazil have always been under constant construction so that video doesn't tell anything new.

Flipper will know better than me but from a tourist POV Rio is spot on, even given peoples mediocre concerns it felt way safer this time (December) I went than 2009 plus it'll be on lockdown for the WC.

Chopp and a bolinho de bacalau, Tuda bom.

You're in for a treat in Rio then. Best beach hands down is Ipanema and Leblon. Skip Posto 9s northern parts (every don't know how many meters of the beach have a station (posto)) which is numbered. Think 9s northern parts is purely for men who like men so unless your into that kind of stuff be careful not to walk into the middle of that crowd as they're ruthless predators when it comes to good looking men :lol: It's better to take the street to Arpoador.

Anyways no doubt you'll enjoy Brazil although Sao Paulo has nothing of worth to look at unless you want to shop expensive stuff or look at bunch of buildings.

Haha what are the must see things in Rio then if I only have 2 and a half days?

As for Sao Paulo, I am sure I will enjoy it, it is a mega city and I'm an urban planner.

Flipper will know better than me but from a tourist POV Rio is spot on, even given peoples mediocre concerns it felt way safer this time (December) I went than 2009 plus it'll be on lockdown for the WC.

Chopp and a bolinho de bacalau, Tuda bom.

:thup: It just feels much safer and I mean I've never been robbed or anything. Might be luck on my side but haven't heard complains much and there's always police patrolling. Just be careful with cab drivers as they're bunch of dicks, since the demand is bigger than the supply they can tell you they don't feel like driving you to that place since they'll pick up a passenger in the next five minutes that will go somewhere they're willing to drive too.

Haha what are the must see things in Rio then if I only have 2 and a half days?

As for Sao Paulo, I am sure I will enjoy it, it is a mega city and I'm an urban planner.

I mean for two days you obviously have to try and go into one of the touristic traps of the Christ or Sugarloaf just so you get the view and touristic images. Otherwise I'd spend a day around Ipanema/Leblon. Leblon is a bit more upperclass (well the neighbourhood not the beach as it's basically the same beach) and just enjoy the day and maybe watch some of the games in nice bars and walking around. It's just a perfect city to just stroll around doing nothing but enjoying the beach and restaurants. If you have time Lapa (never been there tbf) is a great place for live music and a locals nightlife with a lot of tourists.

The beaches basically begins from Barra to Sao Conrado to Leblon/Ipanema to Copacabana and only worth really seeing is Leblon/Ipanema. At the end of Ipanema there is arpoador which for sunset is magical, and you'll have the best view from below of Rio.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C61Cmb2gZSc/UDwRdk5PdMI/AAAAAAAALIE/VuMTHpqSae4/s640/por_do_sol_arpoador.jpg

Really, not been to Lapa?

Lapa as a whole on a Friday night is the best night out I've had in Rio, if not most cities, even it is sketchy, Lapa on Rua do Lavradio/Av Mem do Sa is chocker with cracking bars with decent local bait n all for any night though.

Find it hard to imagine anywhere won't be packed during the WC so it'll make for a different experience to what I've had but when in Brazil make sure to go for a good feijoada, churasscaria can wait 'til you're down Puerto Alegre way since it's Gaucho country down there.

Lapa as a whole on a Friday night is the best night out I've had in Rio, if not most cities, even it is sketchy, Lapa on Rua do Lavradio/Av Mem do Sa is chocker with cracking bars with decent local bait n all for any night though.

Find it hard to imagine anywhere won't be packed during the WC so it'll make for a different experience to what I've had but when in Brazil make sure to go for a good feijoada, churasscaria can wait 'til you're down Puerto Alegre way since it's Gaucho country down there.

I'm going to be slaughtering and then cooking and eating a lamb in Porto Alegre!

I'm not that much in Rio, spend all my holidays lately in Salvador so when I'm in Rio I'm mostly spending time with family that I haven't seen for a while. When I get a real chance I'll go to Lapa.

Yeah was going to recommend Fogo de Chao in Rio for Churrascaria, but knowing you'll be in meat coutry there's no need to eat meat in Rio. Do enjoy the meat in Porto Alegre, they say you won't find better in a big city, not even in Argentina. In Rio for restaurants try getting some sushi, some really good fish going on there and we have sushi ''rodizio'' basically as much sushi as you can eat and it's not buffet so the fish don't rot it's made at the time that you order it. (basically pay a fix price and order the amount of sushi you're going to eat, in as many rounds as you want. Just make sure to eat it all as every piece left they'll charge you extra). That's if you like sushi obviously :lol: Otherwise feijoada on a sunday is a must or seafood. In Sao Paulo you have to get some pizza. Best pizzas in Brazil. Food will be quite expensive so don't look for the cheap places for good food, pay up and eat well :thup: ;)

I'm going to be slaughtering and then cooking and eating a lamb in Porto Alegre!

If you like lamb this is a must:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,36191.20200.html

Mint jelly with lamb man, it's gorgeous. Don't know how they do it in Porto Alegre but in Sao Paulo, Rio and Salvador they usually have mint jelly so you just have to ask for it when eating lamb in churrascaria.

If you like lamb this is a must:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,36191.20200.html

Mint jelly with lamb man, it's gorgeous. Don't know how they do it in Porto Alegre but in Sao Paulo, Rio and Salvador they usually have mint jelly so you just have to ask for it when eating lamb in churrascaria.

I'm staying with family friends in Porto Alegre, and they live in the city but also have a small holding / farm with animals etc about 100km drive away where they go for the weekend, which is where I will be slaughtering my own lamb.

Yeah I read that post the other day, looks great! Mint and lamb is always good.

I'm not that much in Rio, spend all my holidays lately in Salvador so when I'm in Rio I'm mostly spending time with family that I haven't seen for a while. When I get a real chance I'll go to Lapa.

If (when) I go back to Brazil it'll be Salvador and the NE i'll be going to like. Looks ace and most Brazilians I've spoken to always say you've not been to Brazil properly 'til you've been there albiet most were from Bahia.

If (when) I go back to Brazil it'll be Salvador and the NE i'll be going to like. Looks ace and most Brazilians I've spoken to always say you've not been to Brazil properly 'til you've been there albiet most were from Bahia.

Bahia is great, friendly people (although if you want high service you're screwed, lazier people is hard to find), beautiful scenery and very cultural. Salvador was the first capital of Brazil and also where the slaves came from Africa, so there's an enormous amount of african influence so the food you get is excellent with 2000 different spices. (this is becoming more like a food thread I noticed) :lol:

It's jarring and unnerving seeing a thread where Flip is an authority.

:lol:

Luca. I like you, but fuck you.

@themichaelowen 3m

Really enjoyed recording my solo piece today. Struggled a bit initially with the high notes but think I nailed it! #srworldcup

Going to be the worst World Cup song ever.