Newcastle United 2 - 2 Liverpool - 19/10/13 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Beren

Under the current rules, it was definitely a penalty and a red.

It frustrates me though that this rule has lasted so long without being re-considered. Personally, I'd give a penalty and a yellow for a foul in a goalscoring position, whether or not it's in the area. That way you'd get more consistency and a more appropriate punishment. I'd only give a red if it was violent conduct, as per usual.

I know this breaks with the tradition of only giving penalties for fouls in the penalty area, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Refs are already discriminating between ordinary fouls and fouls in a goalscoring position. It's just a matter of changing the punishment.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I'm just going on the rules of the game. :thup:

Anyway, now Don has cropped up I may concentrate on watching Milan more.

I didn't think it was relevant in any case, tbh. Not any more.

aye err what ?

The 'last man' rule. I thought it didn't exist any more.

it does in "goal scoring opportunity" type speak, is the player going to be through on goal as opposed to having to take someone on to get there.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I'm just going on the rules of the game. :thup:

He was last man so it's a red card.

You're not, though.

Right - the terminology has changed but the rules haven't.

But you're still an absolute bell end. :thup:

Guest Haris Vuckic

Yeah I do.

Semantics and Leeds fans are your only friend.

Anyway - Can't be arsed with yee Revie. Plenty of decent lads on here but you're not one of them.

You don't even know which rule you're on about, man.

I know which rule i'm on about, not so sure about which one you are on about though.

I'll assume you've had too much as per and you think I was referring to your post. I wasn't.

You don't even know which rule you're on about, man.

I know which rule i'm on about, not so sure about which one you are on about though.

I'll assume you've had too much as per and you think I was referring to your post. I wasn't.

look up

Cracker of a game from the highlights I've seen, so fucking chuffed for Dummett. Looks such a propsect. Would be fantastic if he got a starting berth next week.

How was HBA up top? Imagine he didn't get much of a chance second-half?

It's no longer last man, it's classed as preventing a goal scoring opportunity. Not that it makes much difference like.

This is where the wording could interpret these things as a yellow...is it denying a goal scoring opportunity when as a result of it, the other team get a free shot at goal from 12 yards anyway?

I know what the rules are, but I think it should be a yellow in these situations.

It's no longer last man, it's classed as preventing a goal scoring opportunity. Not that it makes much difference like.

I think the term is 'clear goal scoring opportunity', he still had Krule to beat and at a tight angle, I'm unsure if you can consider that a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I think the term is 'clear goal scoring opportunity', he still had Krule to beat and at a tight angle, I'm unsure if you can consider that a clear goalscoring opportunity.

tight angle ?

you aren't talking about todays with mapou ?

Guest bimpy474

This is where the wording could interpret these things as a yellow...is it denying a goal scoring opportunity when as a result of it, the other team get a free shot at goal from 12 yards anyway?

I know what the rules are, but I think it should be a yellow in these situations.

I actually think this is where it'll never be right or make everyone happy. My personal opinion is Mapou's today was red as he deliberately fouled, whereas you see player sent off for a genuine challenge that wasn't a blatant act, which are harsher imo.

The problem with this is the penalty as it seems like a double punishment. Which it is tbf.

Just my opinion but i would go with, Mapou's today. I would wait until the penalty is taken, if it's scored he stays on and it's yellow, if it's missed it's red and he goes off. Even then it's still a double punishment in a way. Like i said there's nothing anyone can come up with that'll make everyone happy.

Guest bimpy474

One on one with the GK is classed as a 'clear goal scoring opportunity'. I guess that's fair enough tbh.

Am I the only one who thinks MYM hardly touched Suarez today? Does placing a hand on a shoulder warrant a foul? I hate modern football where Suarez is in the right for going down to win a penalty when he could easily have stayed on his feet. It probably is a foul by the letter of the law but it's a sad state of affairs  :(

Guest bimpy474

Am I the only one who thinks MYM hardly touched Suarez today? Does placing a hand on a shoulder warrant a foul? I hate modern football where Suarez is in the right for going down to win a penalty when he could easily have stayed on his feet. It probably is a foul by the letter of the law but it's a sad state of affairs  :(

Aye and that's why it's so hard to ref. So much over acting, play acting and making things out to be worse than they are.

That said it was a penalty 100% imo.