Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Guest firetotheworks

From the outside looking in, I think Spurs can afford to lose Kyle Walker, like. [emoji38] Being kind, there's nothing irreplaceable about his game, especially with a coach as good as Pochettino.

:anguish:

To be fair, Spurs should be expecting to pay top 3-4 wages now if they're to keep those. Why should they hang around on £60-70k there when they could be getting double that at a club in the same bracket for doing the same job?

Guest neesy111

:anguish:

To be fair, Spurs should be expecting to pay top 3-4 wages now if they're to keep those. Why should they hang around on £60-70k there when they could be getting double that at a club in the same bracket for doing the same job?

Agree with this.  Also they need to start winning trophies soon imo, if they want to keep some of their star players.

Guest firetotheworks

It would be interesting to see what our resident Spurs fans think, but for me Dier's another one they could afford to lose and improve upon.

It would be interesting to see what our resident Spurs fans think, but for me Dier's another one they could afford to lose and improve upon.

Yes and no, Dier's adaptability is fantastic and he can play them all well. In a team he's probably replaceable but in a squad and over a season he's invaluable.........or at least more important than he may appear at first sight.

Talk of Dier wanting out as well as he wants to play in midfield.

He does most of the time, if Alderweireld and Vertonghen are fit and they play 4 at the back. Unless he means further forward than as a DM where he generally plays now.

From the outside looking in, I think Spurs can afford to lose Kyle Walker, like. [emoji38] Being kind, there's nothing irreplaceable about his game, especially with a coach as good as Pochettino.

It's being discussed quite a bit this week on our boards. On the one hand you don't want to break up a good thing, but if one player had to get his head turned then Walker wouldn't be a bad choice. Strong and fast, but not as natural a footballer as Trippier, and we have a kid coming through who might make the grade. Walker's somebody we might be able to get a shit-ton of cash for from somebody like City.

Agree with this.  Also they need to start winning trophies soon imo, if they want to keep some of their star players.

Yes, but it's not fair, is it? That's precisely the fucking point.

Man U are now paying Lingard 100K a week. Liverpool are now paying Lovren 100K a week. How the fuck do we compete with that? Supposedly the only Spurs players getting six figures are Lloris and Kane, with Aldeweireld trying to get a raise. Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Arsenal, and to an extent Liverpool, all pay their players more than we can afford. I cannot believe that there are still thoughtful, intelligent football fans that keep saying "Oh, well it's the going rate, they should be paying them that much". Well we fucking can't. What is it that you're not getting :lol:?

As for the trophies, well, yeah, I agree.

Yes and no, Dier's adaptability is fantastic and he can play them all well. In a team he's probably replaceable but in a squad and over a season he's invaluable.........or at least more important than he may appear at first sight.

Yeah, he's not the best in the world, but he's extremely useful to the team as a whole. Some Spurs fans do say we could afford to lose and improve upon these players, but it's a risk. We're good enough now that the players who would improve us are likely to be out of our financial reach. Who would you buy instead of Dier? He's been with us for some time, he's well-integrated to the team and culture, and he's part of a team that has won 16 out of 19.

I have trouble believing Spurs couldn't pay those type of wages, they just don't want to.

You'd know more than me Leffe but considering who the owner is I have trouble believing it.

Although this is the price of success, if you want to be a consistent contender for trophies you'll going to have to find a way.

I'm guessing the new stadium is what is holding them back a bit financially. Otherwise it doesn't make sense - they're raking it in with the Premiership TV deal, will have CL income yet again, and I imagine Son being such a big star for them this season is amplifying income from the Far East too. On top of this they've barely spent anything looking at the transfer dealings, their net spend over the past 5 years is roughly nil.

I'm guessing the new stadium is what is holding them back a bit financially. Otherwise it doesn't make sense - they're raking it in with the Premiership TV deal, will have CL income yet again, and I imagine Son being such a big star for them this season is amplifying income from the Far East too. On top of this they've barely spent anything looking at the transfer dealings, their net spend over the past 5 years is roughly nil.

The numbers have been plain to see for years though. Our revenue is about 200M, Liverpool's is 300M, the other London clubs 350M, Man City's now 400M, and Man U somewhere over 500M. It's not a mystery. The other big clubs have just got more money available, for a variety of reasons. Hopefully the new stadium will increase matchday income, and we can sustain this period of success to build commercial income. Joe Lewis isn't about to come up with some magic Etihad-type sponsorship deal to bypass FFP etc.