away days.......metz

madras

I remember reading the account by Billy Furious about Leicester away. Look forward to it Madras.  :thup:

Mick get some long stories up too. I remember you and madras in the Trent, 'during the war'. You've got s*** loads to tell.

"During the war."  :lol:

It's even funnier if you imagine :whistle: whistling the tune to the great escape. :lol:

Is this where I'm supposed to throw the toys out of the pram and say I'm not Scottish I wasn't around during the war? :lol:

Cockend. :lol:

I'm not Scottish. :lol:

I remember Metz away. Never been so cold at a match in my life.

I'd gone to the match  by coach , some travel agents in the toon had organised a coach trip which involved an overnight stop at a hotel nr the train station.

We arrived the day before the game, think we left about 11pm on the Sunday , and that night and the morning of the game there was really bad snow and from what I remember the game was in doubt.

Was weird walking round town the afternoon of the game, seeing all the toon fans who had flown in walking round in just their toon tops!

To top it all , on the way back we were supposed to go via the eurotunnel but there had been a fire the night before and it was closed. Loads of ferry companies refused to carry us, in the end i think the bus company had to pay some sort of deposit

Did the trip by coach as well but no hotel, just overnight on the coach and ferry, got there about 11 am. Locals were great, had a few drinks in the bar at the ground during the day swapping songs and scarves with the Metz fans. Well pissed for the game and the coach trip back was neverending.  Swore I would always fly after that trip.

I can honestly say that i've never been as cold watching a game of football as that day/night in Metz.  4 of us drove there but is was a mistake letting Steva do the driving, he's got to be the worst driver in the world anyway but driving in France was a nightmare, i saw my life flash before me at least 6 times on that trip.  Bizarely it didn't put us off that much as he drove us to Monaco a few months later and had the local police entering our hotel room 5 mins after or arrival,  i just slumped on the bed but he followed me in and slammed shut the window only for the window pane to fall out and crash onto the pavement below,  could've caused some damage coming down from 3 floors up, following a few screams and raised french voices, there were police galore on the street.  For some strange reason me, Mickly and Danny pretended to be asleep and Steva jumped in the shower,  getting back out the shower stark naked to answer the door to the police while me and others pretended to be asleep thru the whole incident and we somehow blagged our way out of it despite the owner of the hotel wanting to chuck us out there and then.

i do miss the Euro away trips!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...