Worst Newcastle XI?

Guest TruToon94

Director of Football: Souness

JFK, surely.

To be fair to Joe now he didn't actually sign anybody. Anybody who payed 8 Mil for Boumsong, 18 Mil for Owen and 9 Mil for Luque is pretty s****. Can't remember us ever paying so much, for so many with so little talent.

Hindsight is 20/20, but those two were great coups at the time, imho.

Babyaro            Boumsong    Bramble      Carr

This back 4 (along with Ramage, Taylor & Moore, and managed by Souness & Roeder) conceded 42 league goals in 05-06.

Last season we conceded 59 & the one before 68.

That I've seen in my lifetime and off the top of my head -

---------------------Elliott-----------------------

Carr-------Ramage------Cacapa----Huntington

Geremi-----Smith--------Butt--------- Obertan

------------Ameobi-------Luque-----------------

Cacapa needs to be team captain mind, easily the worst player I've ever seen for us.

Guest Number 37

Luuk de Jong worth a mention? And another Dalglish signing, a pensionable Ian Rush! I'd have Dalglish as manager, ripping apart a team that nearly won the league and replacing quality with awful signings. Didn't he take us from second down to 13th in one year? Although we did beat Barca  :undecided:

Director of Football: Souness

JFK, surely.

To be fair to Joe now he didn't actually sign anybody. Anybody who payed 8 Mil for Boumsong, 18 Mil for Owen and 9 Mil for Luque is pretty s****. Can't remember us ever paying so much, for so many with so little talent.

Hindsight is 20/20, but those two were great coups at the time, imho.

According to Souness those signings were made by Shepard he wanted Anelka and Boa morte

Babyaro            Boumsong    Bramble      Carr

This back 4 (along with Ramage, Taylor & Moore, and managed by Souness & Roeder) conceded 42 league goals in 05-06.

Last season we conceded 59 & the one before 68.

Not to mention the fact the most solid I've seen our defence was 03-04 with Woodgate and Bramble.

Luuk de Jong worth a mention? And another Dalglish signing, a pensionable Ian Rush! I'd have Dalglish as manager, ripping apart a team that nearly won the league and replacing quality with awful signings. Didn't he take us from second down to 13th in one year? Although we did beat Barca  :undecided:

He also took us to 2nd in his first half season with us. He did a great job initially. He also signed Gary Speed and Nolberto Solano, so he wasn't all bad. I love KK to bits but KK bought for the now, not the future and there was a need to replace and renew, however the way Dalglish went about it was a little heavy handed but at the end of the day what killed it all for Dalglish was Shearer's injury, selling Les looked on paper like an awful move (even though we got 6million for a 30 year old, who went on to have a lot of injuries himself at Spuds). Ian Rush was a desperate move to cover this situation, if Shearer had not got injured, John Dahl Thomasson I'm pretty sure would not have been the flop he was with us and who knows how good that partnership would have been.

He did buy a lot of crap too, like Andres Anderson and such but I always thought John Barnes did I good job for us and Stuart Pearce was another veteran signing that was not all that bad, I think one of his last signings was Dietmar Hamman, who in his short time with us I thought was our best player.

People turned against Dalglish for two things, the selling of Les (they seem to bottle this up as replacing great with old crap like Rush but it was really only one sale, Les's replacement was JDT but Shearer's injury disrupted it all),  and the style of play, and that was huge, we went from swashbuckling attacking football, to trudged Pardewesq negative football. That swing was massive, coupled with lack of success in the league and he was a dead man walking after we lost the cup final.

In fact the appointment of Guillet was sold to us on the back of retunring to those days, who would bring with him "sexy football".