Ched Evans - Not Guilty

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How can you go into police witness protection 5 times and keep being found out who you are? Either there is very poor organisation in police protection or this lass is blabbing about who she is.

If Evans is or isn't guilty of rape at the end of the day he has served the time handed out to him. I firmly believe in rehabilitation, to me if he's done the time sentenced to him then why should he not be able to go back to work? So he makes more money than others, does that mean everyone who comes out of prison should stick to NMW jobs? Hardly rehabilitation is it?, that's just survival. Some say as a footballer he's a role model, I don't agree with footballers being classed as role models but it doesn't matter what profession you are going to say is a profession full of role models, in all of them your going to find good and bad people.

How can a convicted criminal who won't admit any fault have been rehabilitated?

He's in a line of work where due to it's very nature he's supposed to be a role model. Whether you think he's guilty or not bottom line is the man is a convicted rapist and sex offender and until proven otherwise should be treat accordingly. I for one would be very uncomfortable with restoring him to his former position.

How can you go into police witness protection 5 times and keep being found out who you are? Either there is very poor organisation in police protection or this lass is blabbing about who she is.

If Evans is or isn't guilty of rape at the end of the day he has served the time handed out to him. I firmly believe in rehabilitation, to me if he's done the time sentenced to him then why should he not be able to go back to work? So he makes more money than others, does that mean everyone who comes out of prison should stick to NMW jobs? Hardly rehabilitation is it?, that's just survival. Some say as a footballer he's a role model, I don't agree with footballers being classed as role models but it doesn't matter what profession you are going to say is a profession full of role models, in all of them your going to find good and bad people.

How can a convicted criminal who won't admit any fault have been rehabilitated?

He's in a line of work where due to it's very nature he's supposed to be a role model. Whether you think he's guilty or not bottom line is the man is a convicted rapist and sex offender and until proven otherwise should be treat accordingly. I for one would be very uncomfortable with restoring him to his former position.

I do get that pov (I'm rather on the fence about the whole thing) but when other guys have resumed their career, Lee Hughes being the go to example, convicted for causing death by dangerous driving, fled the scene of the accident and vanished for 36 hours (conveniently avoiding a breath test) and resumed his career without this much of a media witch hunt

well if we're going to get technical he's not served his time, he's out on probation and is on it for another 30 months.

Still served time inside required, isn't prohibition all about the final part of rehabilitation?

http://www.geekbinge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BWE-4.12-Nucky-gun.jpg

well if we're going to get technical he's not served his time, he's out on probation and is on it for another 30 months.

Still served time inside required, isn't prohibition all about the final part of rehabilitation?

Probation is more about making room in prison for the next lot than rehabilitation, if the truth be known. Prohibition is the banning of something, i.e alcohol in America :)

Probation is more about making room in prison for the next lot than rehabilitation, if the truth be known. Prohibition is the banning of something, i.e alcohol in America :)

:lol:

The victim has had to change identities 5 times since it happened.

Down to dickheads on twitter and that though, not Evans fault really is it? Not like he's doing a Michael Myers and pursuing her or owt.

His website and family haven't helped like.

Yeah I'll concede the point there. Hardly been the classiest of advocates for "justice" it must be said.

That is exactly the problem.

I have seen him interviewed and he still refers to the rape as "my infidelity"

Now, the whole , "maybe he was innocent" thing is an understandable argument, at least from him, but as things stand, right now, Ched Evans is a convicted rapist.

He's also a convicted rapist who not only hasn't expressed any remorse, he continues to act as if what he did is comparable with getting a bit p*ssed one night and cheating on your girlfriend.

All the "yeah but what if he's not guilty" stuff is totally irrelevant - if we are going to look for mitigating factors here, then they are not going to come from arguments along the line of "maybe he's not guilty".

The most depressing thing about this whole situation now is seeing football clubs who are just looking for any little opportunity to find a way they can employ someone like Evans and get away with it. Sheffield United shat themselves because Jessica Ennis threatened to take her name off the stand, Charlie Webster threatened to resign, those sort of things, but Oldham are clearly thinking they can find a way to make it happen without taking too much flack.

I'd be absolutely f***ing mortified if my club acted like that.

This is where I am with the whole thing. The whole scenario has more subtleties and grey areas than people on both sides seem to want to acknowledge, I'm just shitting myself in case Ashley suddenly spots a striker he will (wrongly) see as being competent, available for free and another chance to trample the club's name further into the ground to boot. Whatever the rights or wrongs I don't want us having anything to do with him- taking advantage of a situation where someone has been convicted of rape to get a bargain in the transfer market is seedy as fuck imo.

It's the blogger Jean Hackett whom appears to be at the forefront of all this,clearly has an axe to grind and surely this person using this personna should also be identified.

As has been previously a lot of the public dont fully understand the issue's here and I believe the guy should be given the chance until the review is done,

if it then becomes clear that the initial sentence was wrong then the "Jean Hatchet's" of this world should be prepared to be sued and also be made to account for for the trouble caused.

The telegraph ran an article in which it states:

During the trial in 2012 Evans admitted having sex with the victim in a hotel room in Rhyl, North Wales, straight after his friend and former Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, but denied rape.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11149731/Rapist-Ched-Evans-thousands-call-for-him-not-to-be-allowed-to-rejoin-Sheffield-United.html

If you genuinely believe you are innocent I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to say so, even after conviction.

He could issue some sort of 'I apologise for the harm caused inadvertently', but I doubt many people would welcome that.

This is it for me. As for the idea that he's being hounded from every job opportunity because of how he phrases things is fucking ludicrous tbh. Saying "my infidelity" is stupid but it's not the reason he's being hunted down at every opportunity.  He's at the centre of a massive witch hunt, there's nothing else to it.

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/rexbanner.jpg

"I'll find you Rape Baron"

"No you won't"

"Yes I will"

"......Won't"

I haven't took much attention to this case at all but a friend told me that he was found guilty because she was too drunk to consent. If that is the case then most of the under 30 population would be locked up every weekend.

If that's the case, then when the law changes to reflect that, Ched's in the clear.

If you are not capable of consenting and someone takes advantage of your condition, it is rape.

What is required for consent though? If she was passed out drunk or force was involved then obviously that should constitute rape, but I don't think the law should extend to protecting people who make decisions they regret whilst p*ssed. It's all very dodgy ground especially when someone is going to serve time and  be labeled as a rapist for the rest of their life, giving the connotations surrounding the term.

I have a genuine question on this (not trying to be provocative, honest.) My understanding is that it is a man's responsibility to judge whether the woman in his hotel room- or wherever- is too drunk to be making a sound judgement about what she is doing and stop things from progressing if so. Does this still apply if the man is also extremely intoxicated and too drunk to either get this judgement right, or more likely not to think of stopping to think that a judgement needs to be made before carrying on with what they are doing? It seems possible that there could be a situation where two people get equally wasted, have drunken sex and one of them is open to being convicted of rape if the other later decides they regret it? That seems pretty worrying to me.

I'm not saying that's what happened in the room, and not particularly pro or anti Evans' position in this whole scenario (as a person he comes across as an absolute knob mind), just wondered if anyone on here knows what the legal position on this is?

People's reaction to the law is that they usually want to overpunish people who've committed crimes that they would never be in a position to commit, and underpunish people who've committed crimes that they could see themselves doing on a bad day.

The reaction to Ched Evans is a textbook example of this, unfortunately. I do think he should be allowed to play football, but casting doubts upon a jury verdict based on hearsay and conjecture is rarely useful. The mongs going a step further and harassing the victim are just beyond help.

I haven't took much attention to this case at all but a friend told me that he was found guilty because she was too drunk to consent. If that is the case then most of the under 30 population would be locked up every weekend.

If that's the case, then when the law changes to reflect that, Ched's in the clear.

If you are not capable of consenting and someone takes advantage of your condition, it is rape.

What is required for consent though? If she was passed out drunk or force was involved then obviously that should constitute rape, but I don't think the law should extend to protecting people who make decisions they regret whilst p*ssed. It's all very dodgy ground especially when someone is going to serve time and  be labeled as a rapist for the rest of their life, giving the connotations surrounding the term.

I have a genuine question on this (not trying to be provocative, honest.) My understanding is that it is a man's responsibility to judge whether the woman in his hotel room- or wherever- is too drunk to be making a sound judgement about what she is doing and stop things from progressing if so. Does this still apply if the man is also extremely intoxicated and too drunk to either get this judgement right, or more likely not to think of stopping to think that a judgement needs to be made before carrying on with what they are doing? It seems possible that there could be a situation where two people get equally wasted, have drunken sex and one of them is open to being convicted of rape if the other later decides they regret it? That seems pretty worrying to me.

I'm not saying that's what happened in the room, and not particularly pro or anti Evans' position in this whole scenario (as a person he comes across as an absolute knob mind), just wondered if anyone on here knows what the legal position on this is?

The conviction was diabolical tbh, to be calling the lad a rapist on the basis of the evidence is harsh beyond measure imo.

It's fucked really. Imagine you met some person on a night out, you were utterly slaughtered and decided to give them 200 quid. You wake up in the morning with no recollection of what happened at all so go to the police due to the missing money. There is no evidence to say you were robbed but someone decides that the person you gave the money to should have known how drunk you were and not taken it therefore he goes down for robbery or something.

I know the example is not comparable and I'm not belittling rape and the emotional aspect or anything but the lad was totally fucked over from what I can see based on evidence presented publicly. According to his website there was nothing else we've not seen that was presented during the trial either. They can't really lie about that I'd imagine either.

But aye, he doesn't speak in a contrite way about it so let's continue to ruin his life :lol:

If you genuinely believe you are innocent I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to say so, even after conviction.

He could issue some sort of 'I apologise for the harm caused inadvertently', but I doubt many people would welcome that.

This is it for me. As for the idea that he's being hounded from every job opportunity because of how he phrases things is fucking ludicrous tbh. Saying "my infidelity" is stupid but it's not the reason he's being hunted down at every opportunity.  He's at the centre of a massive witch hunt, there's nothing else to it.

Every single interview I hear about the case involving someone from a group that campaigns against rape and violence against women etc specifically refers to the fact that he's shown no remorse or made any sort of apology. It's almost always the first thing they say in response to the question about whether he should be given a second chance. Like it or not, there are clearly a lot of emotions riding on what he has said since being convicted.

Every single interview I hear about the case involving someone from a group that campaigns against rape and violence against women etc specifically refers to the fact that he's shown no remorse or made any sort of apology. It's almost always the first thing they say in response to the question about whether he should be given a second chance. Like it or not, there are clearly a lot of emotions riding on what he has said since being convicted.

It's just wrong man. If he did come out and say something about how sorry he was that would instantly be used against him too. I'm firmly on the lads side like, imo he has been and continues to be utterly shafted.

Really hope it gets overturned.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the people who are trying to stop him from playing football. The law has established a sentence to fit the crime: if a person has served his time, that should be the end of it.

I don't want to live in a society where certain crimes force people to become "untouchables" living on the margins of society for the rest of their lives. If he wants to claim that he was innocent, that's his right. If he wants to act like a complete knobhead, that's his right as well.

If anyone should have a say in whether he gets to sign for Oldham or not, it should probably be the Oldham fans.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the people who are trying to stop him from playing football. The law has established a sentence to fit the crime: if a person has served his time, that should be the end of it.

I don't want to live in a society where certain crimes force people to become "untouchables" living on the margins of society for the rest of their lives. If he wants to claim that he was innocent, that's his right. If he wants to act like a complete knobhead, that's his right as well.

If anyone should have a say in whether he gets to sign for Oldham or not, it should probably be the Oldham fans.

:thup:

This is it for me. As for the idea that he's being hounded from every job opportunity because of how he phrases things is f***ing ludicrous tbh. Saying "my infidelity" is stupid but it's not the reason he's being hunted down at every opportunity.  He's at the centre of a massive witch hunt, there's nothing else to it.

Michael Shields was convicted of murder in Bulgaria but all along he wanted to prove his innocence. During his time in prison I didn't hear him apologising or showing any remorse for the murder simply because he didn't do it. If Ched Evans believes he didn't rape the lass then there is no reason for him to apologise or show remorse.

This is it for me. As for the idea that he's being hounded from every job opportunity because of how he phrases things is f***ing ludicrous tbh. Saying "my infidelity" is stupid but it's not the reason he's being hunted down at every opportunity.  He's at the centre of a massive witch hunt, there's nothing else to it.

One of the big problems I have with the anti-Evans arguments is that I don't want to live in a society where the way a person is treated is based on media perceptions/ what pressure groups or the most popular-est celebrities have to say on the matter and that is what is happening at the moment. He was tried under a court of law and, whether some like it or not, convicted under a court of law which is the first thing his detractors (rightly) point to. He has served, and is continuing to serve, his sentence as laid down by that same legal system. The terms of his sentence allow him to legally resume his career now and, whether others like it or not, he should probably be allowed to do so.

He does have the right to act like a knobhead, just as I have the right to (and do) consider him to be a knobhead. That shouldn't mean me (or anyone else) has the right to stop him resuming his career just because they don't like him. It's why we have a legal system.

Hypocrite alert: If it was NUFC, I would feel an awful lot stronger about it.

One of the big problems I have with the anti-Evans arguments is that I don't want to live in a society where the way a person is treated is based on media perceptions/ what pressure groups or the most popular-est celebrities have to say on the matter and that is what is happening at the moment. He was tried under a court of law and, whether some like it or not, convicted under a court of law which is the first thing his detractors (rightly) point to. He has served, and is continuing to serve, his sentence as laid down by that same legal system. The terms of his sentence allow him to legally resume his career now and, whether others like it or not, he should probably be allowed to do so.

He does have the right to act like a knobhead, just as I have the right to (and do) consider him to be a knobhead. That shouldn't mean me (or anyone else) has the right to stop him resuming his career just because they don't like him. It's why we have a legal system.

Yeah, as a fan I wouldn't want him in my colors. But that's the supporters' decision to make.  If they're willing to accept it they shouldn't be forced to do otherwise by political pressure.

The mongs going a step further and harassing the victim are just beyond help.

I'd like to know what these people are thinking/what they hope to achieve?!?

She's not going to turn around and retract her allegations (I doubt she could anyway seeing as the trial is over.) All it's doing is adding to negative public perceptions of the man and his "campaign" for innocence. Apart from the increased publicity I can only imagine in the end it'll make it harder for him to move on within himself as well.

Doesn't seem to be any logic?!?  :dontknow:

The victim has had to change identities 5 times since it happened.

Down to dickheads on twitter and that though, not Evans fault really is it? Not like he's doing a Michael Myers and pursuing her or owt.

His website and family haven't helped like.

Yeah I'll concede the point there. Hardly been the classiest of advocates for "justice" it must be said.

That is exactly the problem.

I have seen him interviewed and he still refers to the rape as "my infidelity"

Now, the whole , "maybe he was innocent" thing is an understandable argument, at least from him, but as things stand, right now, Ched Evans is a convicted rapist.

He's also a convicted rapist who not only hasn't expressed any remorse, he continues to act as if what he did is comparable with getting a bit p*ssed one night and cheating on your girlfriend.

All the "yeah but what if he's not guilty" stuff is totally irrelevant - if we are going to look for mitigating factors here, then they are not going to come from arguments along the line of "maybe he's not guilty".

The most depressing thing about this whole situation now is seeing football clubs who are just looking for any little opportunity to find a way they can employ someone like Evans and get away with it. Sheffield United shat themselves because Jessica Ennis threatened to take her name off the stand, Charlie Webster threatened to resign, those sort of things, but Oldham are clearly thinking they can find a way to make it happen without taking too much flack.

I'd be absolutely f***ing mortified if my club acted like that.

This is where I am with the whole thing. The whole scenario has more subtleties and grey areas than people on both sides seem to want to acknowledge, I'm just shitting myself in case Ashley suddenly spots a striker he will (wrongly) see as being competent, available for free and another chance to trample the club's name further into the ground to boot. Whatever the rights or wrongs I don't want us having anything to do with him- taking advantage of a situation where someone has been convicted of rape to get a bargain in the transfer market is seedy as f*** imo.

I'm amazed that he hasn't what with publicity Sports Direct would get! I know they have had a little due to Oldham (coincidence?!) but it would be humongous if he was about to sign for us!

It's a fair point actually, if it was NUFC and he was a better player then I probably wouldn't want us to sign him. I've been the same with other players in the past due to their off-field discretions, then they signed them anyway.

Michael Shields was convicted of murder in Bulgaria but all along he wanted to prove his innocence. During his time in prison I didn't hear him apologising or showing any remorse for the murder simply because he didn't do it. If Ched Evans believes he didn't rape the lass then there is no reason for him to apologise or show remorse.

You're missing my point. I don't think he should apologise for something he believes he didn't do. But there are ways and means of currying favour with the public and IMO he and his family and friends have done the complete opposite.

Lee Hughes is often cited as a player who was also convicted of a heinous crime yet was allowed to continue his career. Well the difference is he showed remorse.