Starting Over - Splinter Club

Tiresias

This is something ive long called for and is easy to do in theory.

A club on the league ladder, in or around the city can be bought out and the name changed.  A location for a ground that has building potential is also something to consider.  Next and most importantly (or first depending on business plan), get a famous name eg Shearer, Keegan etc to form a consortium with their sole aim to provide a club that fits the criteria of the city of Newcastle.

The motif or slogan for the club is already written in that we dont demand a team that wins but a club that tries.

The higher up the league we go, the more the ground needs to expand with merchandise etc available from day one.

The team name can be available to vote on from the start but will have to have Newcastle in it.    Fan owned with yearly elections a must as well with rolling contracts for elected board members instead of long term deals

Would be a bit hypocritical :lol:

Aside from that, good post.

I was always very sceptical of the motives of those behind FC United but as time has went on I've really begun to see the merits in this. I think the problem with this idea is the non-league scene in the region, with many of our supporters already having a second Northern League team.

Northumberland County FC

Newcastle City Rangers

Byker Rovers

Heaton Villa

Giggs FC

Cruddas Park Radgies FC

As I said in the Schteve thread, simply Newcastle Football Club is sufficient, using the city coat of arms as abadge.

Dreams about getting high profile legends on board is a discussion to be had at a later date, you need to walk before you run.

It is unlikely any shortcuts getting up the league is sensible, the Northern League is a good place to start and there are plenty grounds you can groundshare initially. Sam Smith's Park in Walkergate I think is the only one within the city. North Tyneside has a few new options with Coach Lane (Team Northumbria), also North Shields and Whitley Bay grounds.

If it takes off then hundreds of fans turn into thousands then Kingston Park is the next obvious stepping stone (Newcastle Thunder crowds have only been in the hundreds there).

I doubt it is cheap though. Celtic Nation have just folded from the Northern League due to finances. It needs quick action because if you do not have it in place for season start otherwise its another year lost.

You would need publicity to raise capital. Maybe the AshkeyOut boys would back a breakaway until real change at NUFC is obtained. It offers an alternative for fans to attend as well to keep people away from SJP.

Is there enough of us to make this a serious prospect or are we going to spend a few pages talking stupid names before it fizzles out?

As I said in the Schteve thread, simply Newcastle Football Club is sufficient, using the city coat of arms as abadge.

Dreams about getting high profile legends on board is a discussion to be had at a later date, you need to walk before you run.

It is unlikely any shortcuts getting up the league is sensible, the Northern League is a good place to start and there are plenty grounds you can groundshare initially. Sam Smith's Park in Walkergate I think is the only one within the city. North Tyneside has a few new options with Coach Lane (Team Northumbria), also North Shields and Whitley Bay grounds.

If it takes off then hundreds of fans turn into thousands then Kingston Park is the next obvious stepping stone (Newcastle Thunder crowds have only been in the hundreds there).

I doubt it is cheap though. Celtic Nation have just folded from the Northern League due to finances. It needs quick action because if you do not have it in place for season start otherwise its another year lost.

You would need publicity to raise capital. Maybe the AshkeyOut boys would back a breakaway until real change at NUFC is obtained. It offers an alternative for fans to attend as well to keep people away from SJP.

Is there enough of us to make this a serious prospect or are we going to spend a few pages talking stupid names before it fizzles out?

Before people would trust to crowd fund the thing they'd have to be sure that we could feasibly do it, and that's why it would be nice to have some experienced businessman or something on board. I could say I want to set up the club send me the money but quite frankly why would anyone, I'm a fairly lowly 27 year old admin guy at a small charity. If there is first steps it should be trying to just gauge interest from a wider audience. It may be worth reaching out the the AshleyOut guys who are decent at getting the message out, though they'd probably not want to admit defeat in their campaign so soon.

Before people would trust to crowd fund the thing they'd have to be sure that we could feasibly do it, and that's why it would be nice to have some experienced businessman or something on board. I could say I want to set up the club send me the money but quite frankly why would anyone, I'm a fairly lowly 27 year old admin guy at a small charity. If there is first steps it should be trying to just gauge interest from a wider audience. It may be worth reaching out the the AshleyOut guys who are decent at getting the message out, though they'd probably not want to admit defeat in their campaign so soon.

The commercial reality is a businessman is not just going to throw money at this imo.

Partnership with Ashleyout.com and NUST to publicise is more sensible with a good social media strategy. If it fails any monies to go to the SBR foundation.

But you are right i  terms of experience. If there is a group who help these starter clubs then they are first port of call

I don't want a business man to throw money at this, I am confident we could get some crowdfunded stuff to begin with, just someone people would trust to give their money to helping to run it is all. If there's anyone on this board who reckons they have the knowhow then feel free to come forward :p

I don't want a business man to throw money at this, I am confident we could get some crowdfunded stuff to begin with, just someone people would trust to give their money to helping to run it is all. If there's anyone on this board who reckons they have the knowhow then feel free to come forward :p

needs a wider audience than just this board imo. You first need to guage the actual appetite for this.

Getting someone on board who has helped run a northern league club would be the way to go.

needs a wider audience than just this board imo. You first need to guage the actual appetite for this.

Getting someone on board who has helped run a northern league club would be the way to go.

What about elections for place in board? Members of club will vote.

AFC Wimbledon (who many on here know that I despise) didn't have a huge financial backer when they started out. What they did have though was a large fan base of around 5,000 people who donated money and who came along to watch the matches (and the trials FWIW). If you have 3,000 coming to watch your games and everyone else is getting 200 then you have a significant advantage and can afford to pay for the best players at your level.

There is absolutely no doubt that a team started by NUFC fans and run by NUFC fans, playing in simple black and white stripes, would attract both a large number of supporters and talented local non-league players. It would absolutely be a success as it would have a huge media profile much the same as FCUM and AFCW.

One thing would happen though. You would be despised by all the local non-league teams. AFCW were hated round here, part jealousy I'll admit, but also because they came with a huge arrogance and their fans caused a lot of trouble. Frankly the only good thing about them was that you got one game a season where your gate and bar receipts went through the roof and helped many small teams stay afloat.

I'd be behind it obviously if it happened. A simple name like Newcastle FC, Newcastle City FC or City of Newcastle FC would work.

What about elections for place in board? Members of club will vote.

Like the Real/Barce approach. I would hope eventually votes on a president/md to make decisions and stand by them. If you loads of votes, firstly people would get fed up amd the few who vote hold power and secondly you would never get anything done unless someone is allowed to get on with it. I would also be scepitical on annual elections as one year is not enough time and you just end up with short term populist policies.

that though is way down the line. Getting started is the hard part. Getting the likes of NUST, AshleyOut.com, other boards involved to see interest and get the fjnding started. Like I said, if nothing happens money to SBR foundation to inspire confidence in the funding system.

It should be fan owned with members getting votes on important decisions, and it should always be, no being bought out by a businessman who turns out to be an awful cunt ever ever ever again.

Other rule is fast attacking football keegan style forever.

It should be fan owned with members getting votes on important decisions, and it should always be, no being bought out by a businessman who turns out to be an awful c*** ever ever ever again.

Other rule is fast attacking football keegan style forever.

:thup:

Would using the coat of arms not be too close to the toon badge tho? Also, would that mean the strips would be red and white?

well, given the toon badge is a take on the city coat of arms yes. Having red not a problem for me, the retro kits with red numbers are the best imo

However topics like this detract from constructive talk about the hard part. Getting started!

Would using the coat of arms not be too close to the toon badge tho? Also, would that mean the strips would be red and white?

well, given the toon badge is a take on the city coat of arms yes. Having red not a problem for me, the retro kits with red numbers are the best imo

However topics like this detract from constructive talk about the hard part. Getting started!

Exactly. Should be black and white stripes though ;)

Exactly. Should be black and white stripes though ;)

haha, and the only other 'non constructive' comment I would make is to avoid City in a title. Our fans are from more than just the city, its a region....

right I am off out, by the time I am back I expect the revelution to have started and a campaign group going lol

http://www.thefa.com/my-football/football-volunteers/runningaclub/settingupaclub/settingupaclub

Here's the FAs checklist -

Select club name and colours

Appoint club officials

Write club constitution and organise Annual General Meeting

Affiliate with your local County Football Association and the league you wish to enter

Produce a list of running costs

Understand the rules of competitions you wish to enter

Familiarise yourself with Safeguarding Children rules if running a team including under-18s or vulnerable adults

Obtain adequate insurance

Purchase suitable kit and equipment

Hire pitches for matches and training Raise fund and set up a club bank account

Notify members of fixtures and liaise with opposition

Who knew, apparently selecting the name and colours does come before all the other stuff  :lol:

Tbh it should be Newcastle FC, but I kinda like silly ones :p Sporting Newcastle.

Guest chicken little

get in touch with the football supporters federation. or anybody who has been involved with afc wimbledon/fc united/enfield town/darlington etc.

kris stewart (founding chairman of afc wimbledon) has been making noise on twtitter in support of a fan-owned club in newcastle, fwiw

Guest chicken little

Sporting Newcastle  :lol:

fuck that man, make it polideportivo newcastle and make the sir john hall dream come true.