England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Shoehorning Rooney into the side will be England's undoing.

I've been on the fence about it but aye. Up front with Kane or not at all.

So sick of waste-of-time friendlies.

Will Hodgson's job be in danger if we don't have a decent tournament? He's overseen a transitional period with a pretty phenomenal qualifying record, but we'll have massively underachieved if we don't get past the quarters again. There's some good players in great form going into this tournament, as there was before WC2014.

Kane    Vardy

Sterling      Ali      Dier      Townsend

Would make our attacking threat 100x better.

I do think it's madness that Townsend isn't even in the squad. What on earth is someone like Barkley really offering by being there? He has no attributes that aren't covered by the other centre-mids. Meanwhile we've got one player in the entire squad who really hugs the touchline, and he's a fullback.

Feel like England have been trying to play a diamond formation in midfield for about twenty years. Never seem to hear of any other team on Earth trying it.

And aside from trying to shoehorn as many favourite names in to our first team, we also play rigid and outdated tactics. Can't imagine Woy having a clue about doing it any other way.

'The Portugal back four that started tonight's game were 30, 38, 34 and 32 years old. Yet Roy Hodgson, an international football manager, didn't have the foresight or the gumption to give Jamie Vardy license to run at them and their old legs. I give up'

:frantic: that true

Kane    Vardy

Sterling      Ali      Dier      Townsend

Would make our attacking threat 100x better.

I do think it's madness that Townsend isn't even in the squad. What on earth is someone like Barkley really offering by being there? He has no attributes that aren't covered by the other centre-mids. Meanwhile we've got one player in the entire squad who really hugs the touchline, and he's a fullback.

I was probably one of the most vocal for not wanting him to join us half a year ago but I agree, he just offer something different. Barkley, Alli, Lallana all offer same thing, from a tactical perspective, you're not changing a game by switching Alli out for Lallana.

'The Portugal back four that started tonight's game were 30, 38, 34 and 32 years old. Yet Roy Hodgson, an international football manager, didn't have the foresight or the gumption to give Jamie Vardy license to run at them and their old legs. I give up'

Too busy worrying about how to fit in his favourites before thinking about how they could hurt the opposition.

Look at Germany and Low, we totally f***ed up.

What England need is a relatively obscure but highly rated young coach from deep within the football education system to take over managing the first team. Wasting some of the English talent of the past 15 or 20 years has been a footballing crime. The whole thing needs a major overhaul.

The first hour was like watching England of old. Playing in rigid lines, no improvisation and predictable.

For the last half hour, we loosened up and looked a lot better, so there is hope, providing Hodgson learns his lesson. Okay, we may then be more vulnerable defensively, but we were so hopeless up till that point, that it feels we've got no choice but to take the chance.

The diamond was really bad. Mostly because Hodgson had the two strikers track the opposition's full backs when England didn't have the ball, which defeated the whole purpose of having Kane and Vardy playing striker really.

Milner and Alli should have been tracking the fullbacks when the team was defending, with Rooney then dropping in alongside Dier in midfield. Leaving Kane and Vardy upfront for potential counter attack opportunities.

Hodgson is going to waste this bunch of players, so many of whom are in great form and have had fantastic seasons. He is terrible.

The diamond was really bad. Mostly because Hodgson had the two strikers track the opposition's full backs when England didn't have the ball, which defeated the whole purpose of having Kane and Vardy playing striker really.

I've seen Nice do this effectively week after week.  If your system is smart, you can have 2 strikers who can be effective in helping defend from time to time but not suffer in their attacking play.  England just need Plea and Valère Germain to switch nationality asap :smitten:

The first hour was like watching England of old. Playing in rigid lines, no improvisation and predictable.

For the last half hour, we loosened up and looked a lot better, so there is hope, providing Hodgson learns his lesson. Okay, we may then be more vulnerable defensively, but we were so hopeless up till that point, that it feels we've got no choice but to take the chance.

I swear you don't actually say anything in particular when you post about football Cronky.  :lol: :lol:

Sums it up really. I like Roy (who doesn't...he's a very nice bloke) but as someone else said earlier in the thread, what is the actual gameplan? What are we looking to achieve? The only discernible tactic for me is when we don't have the ball, where we invite teams to pass through us, in a kind of half-court press.

The lack of width is criminal, and for an international manager in this day & age to rely solely on the fullbacks to spread the pitch is laughable.  The squad he's picked doesn't allow us to change it up at all, it's not like our Plan A is that solid.

I am hopeful still, simply because it's tournament football at the end of the day, but tactically we look unproductive and a bit random to be honest.