Benitez's Transfer Record, Hit or Miss?

Delima

It's not easy, no. But he is a good manager - Who knows a lot more about who is out there than me - I think he could have managed better. 

Looking at the 3 big summer signings:

Kuyt = £10m

Bellamy = £6m

Pennant = £7m

£23m available - He's spent it on one player who is hardly going to get off the bench unless there is an injury crisis (Like at the moment, granted) as well as two forwards when you already have a decent one. Why not go for someone who could make a real difference - I presume Alves (Don't know much about him) for £12m or so, then you have £11m for the two forwards that you apparently needed. You could have still signed Bellamy - Would it have been that bad to have been left with Alves and another forward of similar calibre and someone who cost a similar fee instead of Kuyt and Pennant? Or Alves and a better forward (Perhaps Kuyt) and someone very much in the backup category, and play Crouch. When you have that much money to spend (Which is a LOT for everyone bar Chelsea) there is a lot of room to maneuver, I don't think he has done as well as he could. Too much squad building, not enough 11 improving.

Alves is going to cost a lot. Market evaluation of Alves is at about 10m £, but Sevilla has a rich chairman who has no intention to sell unless crazy money is on offer. Cetainly Sevilla won't accpet 10m£ for Alves. Anyway Finnan isn't a bad right back! Pennant is a mistake, possibly down to the manager's over evaluation of the player's ability, in my opinion.

Reina has had one dodgy spell (which was as much to do with the poor defending in front of him from players who should know better!), I dont know what people are thinking of :D He's had 8 clean sheets in his last 9 games or summet now, and making key saves all along the way, and is looking just as he did last year. He's a superb young goalie. Only Cech and Van Der Sar would give him a run for his money in this league. Given is good, but you wont find a flock of Liverpool fans wanting him here. 

Anyway, time for me to go now, speak to you good folks soon  bluecool.gif

Im not being funny but have you seen OUR defence? Its not a dodgy spell they have its a dodgy century! Shay saves our arsed with world class saves pretty much every game where as your Chelsea's, Liverpools, Arsenals, Man Utds have defences which contribute to the clean sheets, Shay gets clean sheets DESPITE the defence.

Kromkamp, Zenden and Fowler are all shit players. The fact they cost nothing is irrelevant.

Zenden is 4th choice in midfield behind Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko.  Fowler is 4th choice behind Kuyt, Bellamy and Crouch.  Are you really surprised they're "shit players"?  They're part of a squad who play over 50 games a season, players who are experienced and can come in and do a job when needed. 

Who is Newcastle's 4th choice center midfielder and 4th choice striker?  I will guarantee that they're "shit players" too, because there is no way in hell any decent player who is capable of being a regular at a PL club be satisfied as a 4th choice on any team. Well except SWP who needs to grow some testicles and get the hell out of Chelsea.

Guest kingdawson

I like Given, he's a good goalie, but I prefer sweeper keepers, which Reina is more of.

Mind you, both Given and Reina are significantly better goalies than that fat lump Paul Robinson :D

Think Benitez has done a very good job in the transfer market but i do not rate Reina at all.

Given >>>>>>>> robinson>>>>>>>>>>>> Reina IMHO

Kromkamp, Zenden and Fowler are all shit players. The fact they cost nothing is irrelevant.

Zenden is 4th choice in midfield behind Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko.  Fowler is 4th choice behind Kuyt, Bellamy and Crouch.  Are you really surprised they're "shit players"?  They're part of a squad who play over 50 games a season, players who are experienced and can come in and do a job when needed. 

Who is Newcastle's 4th choice center midfielder and 4th choice striker?  I will guarantee that they're "shit players" too, because there is no way in hell any decent player who is capable of being a regular at a PL club be satisfied as a 4th choice on any team. Well except SWP who needs to grow some testicles and get the hell out of Chelsea.

Playing shit is not doing a job in my book. Therefore they are not good squad members. It's quite simple.

The point of the article was which players he signed were good and which were bad. Those three weren't good signings because they are not good players, simple as. I don't see what your problem is with that fact.

All managers sign bad players. But don't worry, the rafalution is still on. The Sheikh is the final piece of the jigsaw, the corner has been turned, just one more player and all that jazz. 

He's streets ahead of Given as a keeper.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fucking hell.

:lol:

I can sort of accept maybe thinking he might be better than Given not that I'd agree, I can meet half-way though, but streets ahead?  Talk about head up your arse.

Fucking hell.

I can sort of accept maybe thinking he might be better than Given not that I'd agree, I can meet half-way though, but streets ahead?  Talk about head up your arse.

I nearly wet myself that day in the Union Rooms when we were watching the derby and he patted a tame shot straight to Johnson two yards out who headed it past him.

"Streets ahead" :lol:

Fucking hell.

I can sort of accept maybe thinking he might be better than Given not that I'd agree, I can meet half-way though, but streets ahead?  Talk about head up your arse.

I nearly wet myself that day in the Union Rooms when we were watching the derby and he patted a tame shot straight to Johnson two yards out who headed it past him.

"Streets ahead" :lol:

Christ, I'd forgotten all about that little gem. 

Sometimes I feel really sorry for Given.  It gets more blatent to me every year that if he was at one of the "top" teams, he quite obviously would be getting raved about by so many more people.

It would be nice of Rushian to elaborate on what makes Reina streets ahead, but I won't hold my breath.  I mean, there's plenty of evidence Given is a top class keeper, but I've not seen much, let alone plenty of, evidence that Reina is what Rushian claims he is.

I've never seen Reina put in a performance like Given did at the Emirates this season, for example, and that's not even a rarity, it'll happen ten times a season, where we get absolutely shat on and come away with a point thanks to Shay, particularly away from home.

He's not perfect (his distribution is shite for a start) but he very rarely makes a mistake and I personally don't believe there's a better shot stopper in the Premiership. People cite Van der Sar as one of the top men (in this thread for example), but they would never have said that when he played for Fulham. I remember him making a total hash of a kick at SJP, straight to Solano, who then chipped him from 25 yards.

I wouldn't pick any keeper in the Premiership over Given. Some people say "in Europe" but I've not seen every keeper in Europe, so I can't comment. I've seen the Premiership goalkeepers, and when Petr Cech has to save as many shots to haul his side out of utter shite as many times as Wor Seamus (without making complete cock-ups like he has done a couple of times), then he can say he's the best. Until then, I'll stick with Given, thanks very much.

Guest Rushian

Reina doesn't need to put on a performance like Given's at the Emirates because we so rarely get thrashed like that. Given for me is a good reaction shot stopper who, because of his stature, is weak in the air and also has poor distribution. He's the perfect keeper for a team with a weaker defence in that he gets a chance to show off his hollywood saves on a regular basis. If he was as good as everyone in Geordieland says he'd have been off like a shot years ago.

Reina's a modern sweeper keeper - allows the defence to play a higher line, good shot stopper, excellent distribution and clears the ball by punching. Conceded the fewest goals from set pieces in the league last year and has already set numerous club records in terms of clean sheets and minutes without conceding a goal. Like most young keepers he went through a less confident spell at the start of this season but he's come back in sparkling form.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Given, after all he's far better than Robinson ;)

Reina doesn't need to put on a performance like Given's at the Emirates because we so rarely get thrashed like that. Given for me is a good reaction shot stopper who, because of his stature, is weak in the air and also has poor distribution. He's the perfect keeper for a team with a weaker defence in that he gets a chance to show off his hollywood saves on a regular basis. If he was as good as everyone in Geordieland says he'd have been off like a shot years ago.

Reina's a modern sweeper keeper - allows the defence to play a higher line, good shot stopper, excellent distribution and clears the ball by punching. Conceded the fewest goals from set pieces in the league last year and has already set numerous club records in terms of clean sheets and minutes without conceding a goal. Like most young keepers he went through a less confident spell at the start of this season but he's come back in sparkling form.

Eh?

Eh?

Apparently it means he can make "hollywood" saves, or as I prefer to call it numerous world class blocks which most keepers wouldn't get near.

Eh?

Apparently it means he can make "hollywood" saves, or as I prefer to call it numerous world class blocks which most keepers wouldn't get near.

Oh, how I wish we had a super modern "sweeper-keeper" like Liverpool's who can clear the ball by punching so effectively:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71830790.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6557BF42AEDFBEB34A55A1E4F32AD3138

WHOOPS! :lol:

I hear he dropped it deliberately cos he's not a keeper who makes saves, too "Hollywood".

Pepe Reina - £6 million - Hit

have to disagree there, he is not one of the best premiership keepers

Fucking hell, deluded as fuck, don't turn into Spurs

A big talking point in the season occurred on 5th February 2006 in a league game against Chelsea. Reina, having made a clumsy challenge on Eidur Gudjohnsen moments earlier, was controversially sent off for putting his hand on Arjen Robben's face, who fell down somewhat easily and theatrically. Liverpool ended up losing the game 2-0 and Reina was given a three match ban.

In the final domestic game of the season — the FA Cup final on 13 May 2006 — Reina was both a villain and a hero as Liverpool defeated West Ham United. During the normal time Reina made a number of errors to allow the Hammers to lead 3-2. The match ended 3-3 and went to penalties, where Reina lived up to his penalty saving reputation as he saved three out of four penalties.

Early 2006/07 season saw Reina being in the center of series of blunders and shakey Liverpool defence. This is contrast to the strong defence being put forward by Liverpool side the season before. Most notable one happened on the 9th of September 2006 in the Merseyside Derby at Goodison Park, Reina had a torrid time, but it was in the final minute of the game that he decided to 'drop' the ball onto the head of Everton striker Andy Johnson, Johnson scored with his head and it summed up Reina's day, this laughable mistake cost Liverpool and Everton won 3-0 in a historic win.

----------------

aye best keeper in the league  :roll:

Guest sittingontheball

Benny's bought some great individuals, and as a team they should be doing better in the league.

Maybe if he didn't switch them around so much, it wouldn't matter who the 4th striker is. I don't recall who ManUre or Chelski's are.

As a neutral, it would also be nice to see Liverpool put their talents to playing more entertaining football. Even Titus Bramble and Peter Ramage could lob it over the top for Bellamy to chase. You don't need someone of Alonso's talent to do that.

Pellegrino wasnt a miss, he was a hit. He was nothing but a short time signing. He was their and helped their younger players + helped the team learning benitez defensive structur. Zonal marking on corners and stuff like that. Didnt they win the CL with him in the team ?

Guest kingdawson

you didnt have to go there :lol:

you didnt have to go there :lol:

Paul "Slow-Mo" Robinson