Benitez's Transfer Record, Hit or Miss?

Delima

Guest spike spiegel

Reina had a shit defense at Villareal and was one of the most important reasons they got into the CL that season, and they were not scrapping about at hte bottom of the table like Newcastle and Given.

Hope this helps.

Reina had a shit defense at Villareal and was one of the most important reasons they got into the CL that season, and they were not scrapping about at hte bottom of the table like Newcastle and Given.

Hope this helps.

Man City are scrapping away at the bottom of the table, does that mean Micah Richards is shit?

Charlton are scrapping away at the bottom of the table, does that mean Darren Bent and Scott Carson are shit?

Manchester United are at the top of the league, does that mean John O'Shea is world class?

Answer to all 3 = No.

Hope this helps.

Sorin, Rodriguez et al... yeah they really had a shit defense.

I don't know why people are bothering with them.  The "streets ahead" comment made it totally impossible for me to take anything they say seriously anymore.  As I said before, I'm all for them thinking Reina may well be better, but the way they're making Given out to be shit and/or overrated, when he's blatently underrated as it's only us that rate him, is rather comical. 

Good on you lot though, showing your true colours.  Rafa's about the only one that's made a reasoned half decent argument, the rest have shown nothing but sheer stupidity. 

The basis of the whole arguement has been the fact that Given has never been behind a top top class defence where he would make vey few saves.

Given's concentration has never been fully tested as he will have to make at least 4,5,6 saves in a match, whereas Reina might make 1 or 2.

Come on, now. No mass Scouser abuse!

In all seriousness though, I think Given is a top class keeper.

Probably has the edge on Reina currently with reliability, the thing Pepe has on his side is age.

Probably has the edge on Reina currently with reliability, the thing Pepe has on his side is age.

A much more reasoned comment.

Guest Trizone

At our current state, I'd take Given over Reina any day. But if (may God forbid) was a Liverpool  fan I think I'd rather have Reina as he's good enuogh to be the keeper in a side challenging for the title as well as solving their keeper problems for the next decade. I'd place them both in the division right below Buffon, but on par with other top class keepers (Couper, Casillias, Cech, Kahn and the likes)

Top keepers are a rare commodity, and as far as buying an established, top class keeper goes, I think Benitez got it spot on. At the time he brought in Reina it was the best keeper money could buy (simply because most great keepers aren't for sale), and I haven't seen a better, available, keeper since.

I would say they are almost the same ability wise with Reina being slightly better in the air and shay being more adept at the reflex saves. Nothing between the two if you ask me but I would still want shay over reina (my opinion only!).

:thup:

Thats how to put a point across and not look like a tit!

Guest alexharrisonnufc

:thup:

Thats how to put a point across and not look like a tit!

logical comment i agree with him as well

• 1 month later...

Ooooh so that's what being a sewpa sweepa keepa involves! Coming out to clear your lines, kicking it straight against the opposition centre forward and giving him an open goal.

Better than Given! He can't sweep up in that manner!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooooh so that's what being a sewpa sweepa keepa involves! Coming out to clear your lines, kicking it straight against the opposition centre forward and giving him an open goal.

That's like saying Ameobi is the answer when he scores a goal.  ^-^

If anyone is looking for the reason behind Liverpools disappointing season so far, they should look at Spain rather than Merseyside. There they will see Daniel Alves enjoying a fantastic season on the right hand side of Seville FC, immediately realising why Rafael Benitez was so eager to take the Brazilian to Anfield.

That transfer never came off, largely because Seville constantly upped the asking price eventually exasperating Benitez and pushing him out of Liverpools reach.

Instead, they turned to Jermaine Pennant, a cheaper option yet one which so far has let Benitez down: he has failed to play with the consistency or quality that is needed by a side to challenge for the title.

It is futile to speculate what would have been if they had managed to sign Alves instead of Pennant. Yet one possible benefit of the rumoured take-over by Dubai International Consortium is that Liverpool will never have to live with such doubts again.

For, whilst Liverpool still wont be able to pay stupid money, it is unlikely that Benitez would be deprived of any player he feels is necessary to improve his squad.

Benitezs Transfers

To his credit, chairman David Moores has always tried to back Benitez up with adequate transfer funds. How the Spanish manager has opted to use those funds hasnt pleased everyone notably the former director Noel White who expressed the opinion that a number of mediocre players had been brought in an examination of each transfer reveals that there have been more successes than failures, even if plenty are still in the balance.

Daniel Agger

After just a couple of appearances in the second half of the season last there were those eager to write him off. Yet this season the Danish defender has come into his own, being perhaps the most impressive player so far. A definite hit.

Xabi Alonso

The composed central midfielder is already an Anfield legend if nothing because of the goals from within his own half. Few players can live with his composure and passing rage and despite a poor season so far, the class is there for everyone. A hit.

Paul Anderson

The great hope from last years youth cup winning side, Anderson was signed from Hull for a fee of around £1 million, he has struggled this season to make an impact. Given his age, he is a maybe.

Godwin Antwi

Massively built Ghanaian central defender who has already won the Youth cup, he might find it hard to press for the first team. maybe

Antonio Barragan

A highly rated young right-back who, ironically, was snapped up from Sevilles reserve side, Barragan failed to settle in England and decided to return home to Deportivo La Coruna last summer. Liverpool still made a profit of £500,000 on his transfer, making this a hit.

Craig Bellamy

Another player who probably wouldnt be at Anfield if it werent for the relative lack of funds, his start hasnt been the best although he is now showing signs of settling in. The talent is there but he needs to show it consistently. For now, he is simply a maybe.

Scott Carson

Young keeper snapped up from Leeds for a mere £750,000, he has already made it into the England squad despite the lack of first team experience. Enjoyed an excellent period on loan at Sheffield Wednesday last season and is doing fine at Charlton this year. Whether he manages to oust Reina as number one at Liverpool remains to be seen yet, even if he doesnt, his valuation has risen dramatically since joining, which makes him a hit.

Peter Crouch

In his first season in charge, Benitez realised that he needed a tall centre forward if he was to succeed in English football. Crouch was his choice, a controversial one which resulted in severe criticism. Despite a shaky start, Crouch has now settle in well and has cemented his place as an England regular. Hit.

Nabil El Zahr

Moroccon forward who was snapped up from St. Etienne during the summer, he has already impressed for the reserves and surprisingly made his first team debut against Portsmouth. It is fair to say that it wasnt the best of introductions to senior football as he struggled to get a touch, yet it is still too early to judge him. Maybe.

Robbie Fowler

Last seasons surprise move for Fowler ensured that Liverpool had adequate cover up front whilst boosting the managers reputation by bringing in a club legend. Again it is doubtful whether Fowler would have been brought it if more funds were available yet he has done reasonably well and, considering that he came for free, Fowler is a hit.

Luis Garcia

Often frustrating, Garcia is a typical flair player with the skill to do amazing things. Has a knack for scoring brilliant goals and can play anywhere across midfield and even as a forward. Benitez insisted on signing him in his first summer, and although not widely appreciated, Garcia hasnt disappointed. Hit.

Mark Gonzales

Speedy Chilean winger for whom Liverpool tried over a year to get the work permit, he had a fantastic six months on loan at Real Sociedad last season during which he was credited for virtually single handedly saving the club from relegation. Much was expected of him as a result, yet he has struggled to adapt to English football. A maybe.

Jack Hobbs

Highly rated central defender signed from Lincoln yet who was largely used in midfield for the reserves, a ploy intended to improve his passing abilities. Hobbs played a prominent role in the side that won the FA Youth Cup last season and was expected to make the step up this term. A couple of disastrous showings in pre-season friendlies have however set him back, although his season has been hampered by injury. He is still highly though of, yet it is hard to mark him out as anything other than a maybe.

Besjan Idrizaj

Austrian U21 international striker, Idrizaj has struggled to impose himself in reserve team football and it is extremely hard to see him making the grade. A miss.

Josemi

One of Benitezs first signings, he started brightly but soon got found out as a mediocre player. A series of injuries didnt help but the truth was that Josemi wasnt good enough. A miss.

Jan Kromkamp

Dutch international right-back who was signed as part of the deal which took Josemi to Villareal, Kromkamp was a useful enough player and a good deputy for Steve Finnan. Homesickness, however, apparently got the better of him and he decided to go back to Holland with PSV. The fact that Liverpool got a good half-season out of him as well as making a profit means that this must go down as a hit although a qualified one.

Dirk Kuyt

The biggest transfer of last summer for Liverpool, Kuyt is a hard working forward with a talent for scoring. Has immediately adapted to life at Anfield yet it is still to early to decide whether the transfer fee is justified, meaning that for now it is best to mark him out as a maybe.

David Martin

Young keeper signed from MK Dons, he is currently third choice and has largely been restricted to reserve team duty. It is too early to tell whether he will make it, so its better to mark this one as a maybe.

Fernando Morientes

Probably Benitezs biggest miss. Signed for £6 million from Real Madrid, Morientes was considered a class act who had done well everywhere hed played. Sadly, he failed to settle in English football and at the end became a liability rather than the asset he should have been.

Antonio Nunez

A makeweight in the Michael Owen transfer, Nunez was desperately unlucky to suffer injury in his first training session. Life was decidedly uphill from then on and, despite being a trier, Nunez was never good enough. Miss.

Gabriel Paletta

Young Argentine defender who is built like a unit and who relished going into tackles hard, Paletta is a promising player yet one who still needs to develop. Early signs are promising, yet he is still is a maybe.

Mauricio Pellegrino

Signed on a free from Benitezs old club Valencia, where Pellegrino had been a mainstay of the defence, his lack of pace quickly got exposed in English football and the Argentine endured a torrid six months before being released. Another miss.

Jermaine Pennant

Much was expected from Pennant and, although he has occasionally show his skill, so far he has been largely disappointing. And that is being kind. As with all other players brought in this summer, it is too early to judge whether he will be a success so it is fair to mark him out as a maybe, although on recent evidence hes rapidly heading for the miss section.

Pepe Reina

Because of his looks, there is a tendency to forget just how young Reina is for a goalkeeper. At 24 he has all the time to mature and improve on his weaknesses, yet even as it stands he is a formidable keeper. Criticised at the start of the season for a couple of mistakes, he still deserves to be considered a hit.

Miki Roque

A young Spanish central defender who was spotted at Lleida and who has been something of a revelation since joining. Handed his debut against Galatasaray, there is still a long way to go for him yet it is hard not to consider him a hit.

Mohammed Sissoko

Snapped from under the noses of neighbours Everton, Sissoko has been a revelation in central midfield and is bound to get better. If the £5.6 million they spent to get him from Valencia initially looked inflated, now it is definitely considered a bargain. Hit.

Impressive list of transfer I have to say.

Transfer Involving Established Players

Xabi Alonso - £11 million - Hit

Mohammad Sissoko - £6 million - Hit

Pepe Reina - £6 million - Hit

Daniel Agger - £6 million - Hit

Craig Bellamy - £6 million - Potentially Hit

Peter Crouch - £7 million - Hit

Dirk Kuyt - £9 million - Hit

Jan Kromkamp - Free - Hit

Robbie Fowler - Free - Hit

Bolo Zenden - Free - Hit

Mark Gonzalez - £4.5 million - Miss, so far.

Jermaine Pennant - £8 million - Miss, so far.

Fernando Morientes - £ 6 million - Miss

Josemi - £2 million - Miss

Mauricio Pellegrino - Free - Miss

Antonio Nunez - Free - Miss

Transfer Involving Relatively Unknown Youngsters

Scott Carson - Massive Hit

Miki Roque

Gabriel Paletta

David Martin

Besjan Idrizaj

Jack Hobbs

Paul Anderson

Godwin Antwi

I admire Benitez's transfer policy. He too makes mistakes (no one is excempted), but no one can fault him for buying Morientes at £6 million. Pellegrino is free, nunez is free, and Josemi cost a meagre £2m. His biggest mistake could be Jermaine Pennant, yet he is still young, decent and has the potential. Gonzales hasn't done anything of note so far, yet he has every ingredient to be a success here.

Glenn Roeder, could you please do the same to Newcastle United? I certainly think that you have the potential, but you are over-cautious and can be too stubborn for your (or our club's) own good. Also, please address the positions in need, instead of buying someone we do not need.

Oba Martins - £10 millions - Hit.

Antonio Sibierski - Free - Hit

Pavel Srníček - Free - Unused

Olivier Bernard - Miss

Duff - £5 million + Huge Signing On Fee - Miss

apart from the fact that this is a NUFC message board, not Liverpool, I wonder if you will realise that about 87 other clubs share the thought that they would like to be as successful as Liverpool. Ourselves being the closest over the last decade in terms of european qualification than all of them.

Still, "lack of planning"........ LOL

apart from the fact that this is a NUFC message board, not Liverpool, I wonder if you will realise that about 87 other clubs share the thought that they would like to be as successful as Liverpool. Ourselves being the closest over the last decade in terms of european qualification than all of them.

Just when I think you can't get any more boring you prove me wrong, you really take some beating. :indi:

Just when I think you can't get any more boring you prove me wrong, you really take some beating. :indi:

aye, all these anti NUFC posts are rather tedious aren't they

aye, all these anti NUFC posts are rather tedious aren't they

I'll take it back then, I'm on the edge of my seat after reading that one.

If anyone is looking for the reason behind Liverpool?s disappointing season so far, they should look at Spain rather than Merseyside. There they will see Daniel Alves enjoying a fantastic season on the right hand side of Seville FC, immediately realising why Rafael Benitez was so eager to take the Brazilian to Anfield.

That transfer never came off, largely because Seville constantly upped the asking price eventually exasperating Benitez and pushing him out of Liverpool?s reach.

Instead, they turned to Jermaine Pennant, a cheaper option yet one which so far has let Benitez down: he has failed to play with the consistency or quality that is needed by a side to challenge for the title.

It is futile to speculate what would have been if they had managed to sign Alves instead of Pennant. Yet one possible benefit of the rumoured take-over by Dubai International Consortium is that Liverpool will never have to live with such doubts again.

For, whilst Liverpool still won?t be able to pay stupid money, it is unlikely that Benitez would be deprived of any player he feels is necessary to improve his squad.

Benitez?s Transfers

To his credit, chairman David Moores has always tried to back Benitez up with adequate transfer funds. How the Spanish manager has opted to use those funds hasn?t pleased everyone ? notably the former director Noel White who expressed the opinion that a number of mediocre players had been brought in ? an examination of each transfer reveals that there have been more successes than failures, even if plenty are still in the balance.

Daniel Agger

After just a couple of appearances in the second half of the season last there were those eager to write him off. Yet this season the Danish defender has come into his own, being perhaps the most impressive player so far. A definite hit.

Xabi Alonso

The composed central midfielder is already an Anfield legend if nothing because of the goals from within his own half. Few players can live with his composure and passing rage and despite a poor season so far, the class is there for everyone. A hit.

Paul Anderson

The great hope from last year?s youth cup winning side, Anderson was signed from Hull for a fee of around £1 million, he has struggled this season to make an impact. Given his age, he is a maybe.

Godwin Antwi

Massively built Ghanaian central defender who has already won the Youth cup, he might find it hard to press for the first team. maybe

Antonio Barragan

A highly rated young right-back who, ironically, was snapped up from Seville?s reserve side, Barragan failed to settle in England and decided to return home to Deportivo La Coruna last summer. Liverpool still made a profit of £500,000 on his transfer, making this a hit.

Craig Bellamy

Another player who probably wouldn?t be at Anfield if it weren?t for the relative lack of funds, his start hasn?t been the best although he is now showing signs of settling in. The talent is there but he needs to show it consistently. For now, he is simply a maybe.

Scott Carson

Young keeper snapped up from Leeds for a mere £750,000, he has already made it into the England squad despite the lack of first team experience. Enjoyed an excellent period on loan at Sheffield Wednesday last season and is doing fine at Charlton this year. Whether he manages to oust Reina as number one at Liverpool remains to be seen yet, even if he doesn?t, his valuation has risen dramatically since joining, which makes him a hit.

Peter Crouch

In his first season in charge, Benitez realised that he needed a tall centre forward if he was to succeed in English football. Crouch was his choice, a controversial one which resulted in severe criticism. Despite a shaky start, Crouch has now settle in well and has cemented his place as an England regular. Hit.

Nabil El Zahr

Moroccon forward who was snapped up from St. Etienne during the summer, he has already impressed for the reserves and surprisingly made his first team debut against Portsmouth. It is fair to say that it wasn?t the best of introductions to senior football as he struggled to get a touch, yet it is still too early to judge him. Maybe.

Robbie Fowler

Last season?s surprise move for Fowler ensured that Liverpool had adequate cover up front whilst boosting the manager?s reputation by bringing in a club legend. Again it is doubtful whether Fowler would have been brought it if more funds were available yet he has done reasonably well and, considering that he came for free, Fowler is a hit.

Luis Garcia

Often frustrating, Garcia is a typical flair player with the skill to do amazing things. Has a knack for scoring brilliant goals and can play anywhere across midfield and even as a forward. Benitez insisted on signing him in his first summer, and although not widely appreciated, Garcia hasn?t disappointed. Hit.

Mark Gonzales

Speedy Chilean winger for whom Liverpool tried over a year to get the work permit, he had a fantastic six months on loan at Real Sociedad last season during which he was credited for virtually single handedly saving the club from relegation. Much was expected of him as a result, yet he has struggled to adapt to English football. A maybe.

Jack Hobbs

Highly rated central defender signed from Lincoln yet who was largely used in midfield for the reserves, a ploy intended to improve his passing abilities. Hobbs played a prominent role in the side that won the FA Youth Cup last season and was expected to make the step up this term. A couple of disastrous showings in pre-season friendlies have however set him back, although his season has been hampered by injury. He is still highly though of, yet it is hard to mark him out as anything other than a maybe.

Besjan Idrizaj

Austrian U21 international striker, Idrizaj has struggled to impose himself in reserve team football and it is extremely hard to see him making the grade. A miss.

Josemi

One of Benitez?s first signings, he started brightly but soon got found out as a mediocre player. A series of injuries didn?t help but the truth was that Josemi wasn?t good enough. A miss.

Jan Kromkamp

Dutch international right-back who was signed as part of the deal which took Josemi to Villareal, Kromkamp was a useful enough player and a good deputy for Steve Finnan. Homesickness, however, apparently got the better of him and he decided to go back to Holland with PSV. The fact that Liverpool got a good half-season out of him as well as making a profit means that this must go down as a hit although a qualified one.

Dirk Kuyt

The biggest transfer of last summer for Liverpool, Kuyt is a hard working forward with a talent for scoring. Has immediately adapted to life at Anfield yet it is still to early to decide whether the transfer fee is justified, meaning that for now it is best to mark him out as a maybe.

David Martin

Young keeper signed from MK Dons, he is currently third choice and has largely been restricted to reserve team duty. It is too early to tell whether he will make it, so it?s better to mark this one as a maybe.

Fernando Morientes

Probably Benitez?s biggest miss. Signed for £6 million from Real Madrid, Morientes was considered a class act who had done well everywhere he?d played. Sadly, he failed to settle in English football and at the end became a liability rather than the asset he should have been.

Antonio Nunez

A makeweight in the Michael Owen transfer, Nunez was desperately unlucky to suffer injury in his first training session. Life was decidedly uphill from then on and, despite being a trier, Nunez was never good enough. Miss.

Gabriel Paletta

Young Argentine defender who is built like a unit and who relished going into tackles hard, Paletta is a promising player yet one who still needs to develop. Early signs are promising, yet he is still is a maybe.

Mauricio Pellegrino

Signed on a free from Benitez?s old club Valencia, where Pellegrino had been a mainstay of the defence, his lack of pace quickly got exposed in English football and the Argentine endured a torrid six months before being released. Another miss.

Jermaine Pennant

Much was expected from Pennant and, although he has occasionally show his skill, so far he has been largely disappointing. And that is being kind. As with all other players brought in this summer, it is too early to judge whether he will be a success so it is fair to mark him out as a maybe, although on recent evidence he?s rapidly heading for the miss section.

Pepe Reina

Because of his looks, there is a tendency to forget just how young Reina is for a goalkeeper. At 24 he has all the time to mature and improve on his weaknesses, yet even as it stands he is a formidable keeper. Criticised at the start of the season for a couple of mistakes, he still deserves to be considered a hit.

Miki Roque

A young Spanish central defender who was spotted at Lleida and who has been something of a revelation since joining. Handed his debut against Galatasaray, there is still a long way to go for him yet it is hard not to consider him a hit.

Mohammed Sissoko

Snapped from under the noses of neighbours Everton, Sissoko has been a revelation in central midfield and is bound to get better. If the £5.6 million they spent to get him from Valencia initially looked inflated, now it is definitely considered a bargain. Hit.

Impressive list of transfer I have to say.

Transfer Involving Established Players

Xabi Alonso - £11 million - Settled well. Good player.

Mohammad Sissoko - £6 million - Miss so far.

Pepe Reina - £6 million - Average keeper not as good as the top 3 in the PL

Daniel Agger - £6 million - Average

Craig Bellamy - £6 million - Potentially Hit

Peter Crouch - £7 million - Lanky streak of piss will never be a tier one goal scorer.

Dirk Kuyt - £9 million - Jury out.

Jan Kromkamp - Free - Complete disaster.

Robbie Fowler - Free - Has he played??

Bolo Zenden - Free - Hit........Are you joking? He is dreadful, still overweight and will never get back in the Dutch side ever.

Mark Gonzalez - £4.5 million - Miss, so far, or more accureately utter shite.

Jermaine Pennant - £8 million - Overcharged by £4m...Rubbish imo and that is why Wenger let him go.

Fernando Morientes - £ 6 million - Miss

Josemi - £2 million - Miss

Mauricio Pellegrino - Free - Miss

Antonio Nunez - Free - Miss

Transfer Involving Relatively Unknown Youngsters

Scott Carson - Massive Hit

Miki Roque

Gabriel Paletta

David Martin

Besjan Idrizaj

Jack Hobbs

Paul Anderson

Godwin Antwi

I admire Benitez's transfer policy. He too makes mistakes (no one is excempted), but no one can fault him for buying Morientes at £6 million. Pellegrino is free, nunez is free, and Josemi cost a meagre £2m. His biggest mistake could be Jermaine Pennant, yet he is still young, decent and has the potential. Gonzales hasn't done anything of note so far, yet he has every ingredient to be a success here.

Glenn Roeder, could you please do the same to Newcastle United? I certainly think that you have the potential, but you are over-cautious and can be too stubborn for your (or our club's) own good. Also, please address the positions in need, instead of buying someone we do not need.

Oba Martins - £10 millions - Hit.

Antonio Sibierski - Free - Hit

Pavel Srní?ek - Free - Unused

Olivier Bernard - Miss

Duff - £5 million + Huge Signing On Fee - Miss

To be fair to Reina, his broom slipped out of his hand just as he went to kick the ball.

Guest Knightrider

Reina is no better than the likes of Paul Robinson, 'keepers who are a class below Shay Given. As for this sweeper crap, outside of shotstopping that is Shay's biggest strength, he's saved our arses many a time by coming off his line and out from his box to head the ball to safety, clear or pass to a team-mate. He does this regularly in games, but we don't make a big song and dance about it because he's been doing it for years. I've never seen him do a Reina mind  :lol:

Given has his weaknesses of course but they are superficial or trivial weaknesses, when it comes to the business end of what he does however, there are not many better, i.e. 'keeping the ball out of the net on a consistent basis. He's as safe as houses and worth to us at least 12 points a season. I wouldn't swap him for any 'keeper, flaws and all as he is so consistent and doesn't suffer mad spells or dips in form.

Reina has a long way to go to reach Given's standards, he needs to cut out the mistakes, the rashness, the hesitation and confidence wise, he needs to improve mentaly. He's the Spanish David James to be honest, top 'keeper on his day but very much a liability on his day too, which is something you could never ever level at Shay Given.

"Sweeper 'Keeper" FFS  mackems.gif

PS Carson has good potential, even at his age and playing in front of a shite defence he makes less mistakes than Reina.