Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach - FT

Nobody

There was a moment in the first-half where Haidara made a run behind the full-back when Colback on the ball. Would have taken a good pass to make it, one which a good Premier League player you'd have fancy to have made 7 or 8 time out of 10, but instead, he turned back and passed it to Anita.

And there lies the problem with Colback for me. We might be a solid mid-table side with someone like him, but no more. He's arguably the most important player in the side in that he is meant to set the tone, the pace of our passing, etc. But instead of trying to make something happen, he's happy just to keep the ball. We will do nothing as long as Colback is a Newcastle player.

Why can't we try Sissoko in the middle again. Watching him play wide is too f***ing awkward.

There's no place for him really unless you drop De Jong or go with your idea of playing him alongside Wijnaldum and whether you like that or not McClaren won't do it.

I'm with Kaka tbh, if playing him on the wing means no Aarons or Perez i would rather see him sold.

:thup:

Haven't seen any pre-season games but the reports have been poor - that doesn't mean we are going to have a bad season but the main problem is surely that the new players have not been signed quickly enough. Pre-season is all about working up an understanding between the players, especially when a new manager and coaching team are in place and there had not been enough time for the 3 additions to get on the same wavelength as their new colleagues. All this is down to the grindingly-slow negotiations being held by the board, doubtlessly aimed at keeping costs down until income starts coming in.

If people think back to 1995, we signed players like Ferdinand, Barton and Ginola quickly and all the new signings that came in had plenty of time to gel...we hit the ground running and almost won the league - that is never going to happen under this owner but we are STILL short of a decent CB and striker.

I am not too worried about Mitrovic yet as he is young and will improve - he also has a decent record at a high level but will need PL experience ; crazy decision to play Mbemba at RB when we desperately need a decent CB pairing - he will be really tested next week and experiments with only one friendly left were not the way to go....he also will need to adjust to the PL quickly and it aint easy in the first season. Wijnaldum obviously has a proven pedigree and will be an asset when he adjusts to the pace but it seems to me that Aarons and Perez are going to be crucial to forward success. Aarons' injury record is a worry and we have to hope he stays fit - also that if he does, nobody comes in with a bid in Jan.....

Once the real action starts, we will have a better idea of what is going to happen but with the current side it is hard to see a finish above 10th-12th place...the addition of a PROVEN CB and Striker may make a big difference to that - we shall see....

De Jong's our main hope of the team having some creativity rather than just goal scorers up top, albeit he seems more of a goal scoring no 10 anyway so bleh. I want to see if he plays very much as a no 10 who plays high up or if he drops deeper and helps in the build up (which we need imo, too much of our passing in the final third goes completely astray and we need more players very good on the ball like De Jong and Perez