Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach - FT

Nobody

The lack of goals is a worry for me.  It's hard to turn it on, in terms of converting your chances.

Would be worried if we had failed to create anything, but we created more than enough to win the game.

Didn't see the first half, what did we create?

Guest neesy111

The lack of goals is a worry for me.  It's hard to turn it on, in terms of converting your chances.

Would be worried if we had failed to create anything, but we created more than enough to win the game.

I said converting chances, it's something we were poor at last season and pre-season has been no different.

Guest palnese

Wijnaldum missed a sitter. Obertan had a decent chance. Hmm, we probabloy had a few more.

I said converting chances, it's something we were poor at last season and pre-season has been no different.

Yeah but in the past we have hardly created any to begin with, time will tell whether we will or not but the brunt of the problem has been we don't create anything to begin with.

We did force one good chance in the first half. Low cross in from Sissoko to Cisse who was unmarked on the edge of the box, but completely fluffed it. Then Sissoko off the bar. Then Mitrovic open goal. A draw would've been fair imo, but we weren't creating chances left, right and centre by any means.

I thought Mbemba did well at right back. McClaren probably felt it would have been a bit unfair on him to pitch him in at CB, with no chance to develop any prior understanding with Taylor or Willo.

Yeah, they could do with having a bit of time in a preseason friendly match or something of that ilk.

You've missed the point. If you have a player that's barely had any chance to play with any of his team mates, do you put him into the more exposed position of centre back, or do you give him the simpler and less vulnerable role of a full back?

I thought Mbemba did well at right back. McClaren probably felt it would have been a bit unfair on him to pitch him in at CB, with no chance to develop any prior understanding with Taylor or Willo.

Yeah, they could do with having a bit of time in a preseason friendly match or something of that ilk.

You've missed the point. If you have a player that's barely had any chance to play with any of his team mates, do you put him into the more exposed position of centre back, or do you give him the simpler and less vulnerable role of a full back?

It was a meaningless friendly, as many are keen to point out. Who gives a fuck if he's exposed? It would be a start. And if he's that exposed it says a lot about the team in front of him anyway.

He'll now go into a competitive match against a very good opponent with no match time with either partner whatsoever. Ideal.

We did force one good chance in the first half. Low cross in from Sissoko to Cisse who was unmarked on the edge of the box, but completely fluffed it. Then Sissoko off the bar. Then Mitrovic open goal. A draw would've been fair imo, but we weren't creating chances left, right and centre by any means.

That seemed the biggest disconnect for me. There was a lack of fluency and ideas in the final third. There was some good movement but a lack of cohesion, can only hope it improves and it should do.

It was a meaningless friendly, as many are keen to point out. Who gives a f*** if he's exposed? It would be a start. And if he's that exposed it says a lot about the team in front of him anyway.

He'll now go into a competitive match against a very good opponent with no match time with either partner whatsoever. Ideal.

Exactly. Why not ease him into it in a "meaningless friendly", rather than pushing him into the deep end against Southampton when the pressure is on to perform well?

That seemed the biggest disconnect for me. There was a lack of fluency and ideas in the final third. There was some good movement but a lack of cohesion, can only hope it improves and it should do.

It's been that way since August 2012, so we're just going to have to afford McClaren a bit of time to de-Pardew them. There's no Remy, Ben Arfa or Ba there to conjure something out of nothing any more, so we're going to have to form some kind of coherent attacking unit, but it'll take time.

Before anyone starts crying about me moaning, I don't really give a shite because I think we'll be soundly beaten in that match anyway.

I just didn't see the point of putting our new star centre half in at a position he'll hopefully never play. Might as well put him on the left wing in place of Obertan. :lol:

It was a meaningless friendly, as many are keen to point out. Who gives a f*** if he's exposed? It would be a start. And if he's that exposed it says a lot about the team in front of him anyway.

Exactly. Why not ease him into it in a "meaningless friendly", rather than pushing him into the deep end against Southampton when the pressure is on to perform well?

Doubt he'll start, to be honest. Pretty sure we'll see the same back 4 as today. :anguish:

Wijnaldum was outstanding. Anita shows some decent touches, but I don't think he's up to the job of protecting the back four.

Dat logic  :sweetjesus:

Straight from the Pardew school of "management".

He's not going to start anyway

He's not going to start anyway

That would be even worse. :lol: