Group F - Hungary (Q), Iceland (Q), Port (Q), Aus - Hun 3-3 Por | Ice 2-1 Aus

Wullie

Both central midfielders though aren't they? And kids who have yet to prove anything outside of the Portuguese league, however talented they might be.

There's no way you're convincing me those are better bets than Ronaldo / Nani because they beat a second rate Norway side.

Both central midfielders though aren't they? And kids who have yet to prove anything outside of the Portuguese league, however talented they might be.

There's no way you're convincing me those are better bets than Ronaldo / Nani because they beat a second rate Norway side.

Have you ever heard of the Ewing theory? Not saying its definitely the case that they would be better without them but there are certain elements of Ronaldo's play that are severely detrimental to his team

It's simple really. Well functioning team > Ronaldo. Ronaldo is an amazing player, no doubt about it. But him being there is bad for the team performance because he doesn't care about the team, the team exist only to serve him. That isn't a good way to win things. It works at Real because they're all world beaters around him, but whilst talented, the entire Portugal squad are not world beaters. They need to rely on being able to function as a cohesive unit.

Last time Portugal played without him they had 0 shots on goal. He created the best chance of the game for Nani yesterday as well. Their best striker is Eder ffs and they hardly have the quality to play without a forward. Renato or Adrien Silva for Moutinho and they will look a lot better.

I think the part where we disagree is your view that Portugal without Ronaldo would instantly become a well functioning machine. Lots of players with a decent technical skill but fuck all end product.

I think the part where we disagree is your view that Portugal without Ronaldo would instantly become a well functioning machine. Lots of players with a decent technical skill but fuck all end product.

I'm not saying they'd instantly better themselves on the spot, but over time the team would function better as a unit - which is the important thing here because they're not filled with world class players. At the moment they're literally just feeding the ball to Ronaldo hoping for "a bit if magic". That might win them some matches, but no trophies. Need a team for that.

Last time Portugal played without him they had 0 shots on goal. He created the best chance of the game for Nani yesterday as well. Their best striker is Eder ffs and they hardly have the quality to play without a forward. Renato or Adrien Silva for Moutinho and they will look a lot better.

Last time they played without him was against Norway before the Euros, no? Won that 3-0.

I think the part where we disagree is your view that Portugal without Ronaldo would instantly become a well functioning machine. Lots of players with a decent technical skill but f*** all end product.

I'm not saying they'd instantly better themselves on the spot, but over time the team would function better as a unit - which is the important thing here because they're not filled with world class players. At the moment they're literally just feeding the ball to Ronaldo hoping for "a bit if magic". That might win them some matches, but no trophies. Need a team for that.

Last time they played without him was against Norway before the Euros, no? Won that 3-0.

Nah against us when Alves tried to decapitate Harry Kane, so they did play with 10 men a fair bit but I'd think you'd see the exact same agaisnt another well organised side.

They only took one out and out striker because their options are so bad. You'd have to drop Ronaldo and play someone else out of position with no goalscoring experience at International level. Moutinho is the only midfielder they have who's scored for them and his record in 4 in 85.

Kaiz is high like. :lol: Drop the man who scored 51 goals this season, and is arguably the best/second best/third best footballer of all time. :lol:

I agreed right upon that last part. FFS :lol: Would be fun to see your top 5 of all times. Would probably involve Robbie Keane, CRonaldo and Giggs.

Kaiz is high like. :lol: Drop the man who scored 51 goals this season, and is arguably the best/second best/third best footballer of all time. :lol:

Because he clearly makes Portugal as a unit worse just because of that fact. If he'd play like a team player for them it'd be something else entirely (See Bale; Wales and Zlatan; Sweden for examples). Seemingly jotenko agrees, and says Portuguese people share this opinion, so I'll take that :aww:

Flip everyone on the planet puts Cristiano Ronaldo in the top 5 ever, for the simple fact that it's undeniable.

My top 5 is probably Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and Maradona. Haven't seen enough of your boy to put him up there.

Flip everyone on the planet puts Cristiano Ronaldo in the top 5 ever, for the simple fact that it's undeniable.

My top 5 is probably Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and Maradona. Haven't seen enough of your boy to put him up there.

:lol: I love how convincing you are whenever you post things. Everyone on the planet  :iamatwat:

Top 20 for sure, top 5 not so sure.

Top 20 for sure, top 5 not so sure.

He is not in the top 3 for the simple fact that it's undeniable.

Top 20. :lol: He's a 3 time world player of the year, winning it in the same era as the guy who the majority see as the greatest ever. He's scored 487 goals in his career and will have plenty more to come. More goals per games since he joined Real Madrid too. :lol: Most caps and most goals for his country. 3 time Champions League winner. Do I need to go on?

If Ronaldo wasn't a bit of a dick people would be licking his balls. He's top 5 of all time with relative ease.

I'd like to see Flips top 10. Probably Pele, Ronaldo, Garrincha, Ronaldinho, Romario, Zico, Jairzinho, Socrates, Cafu and Neymar.

It's hard. CRonaldo isn't a top three of the ones I've seen live consistently, and going by what I've heard about Maradona, Pele, Cruyff and others he wouldn't be a top 5.

Zidane, Messi and the real Ronaldo were all better footballers than CRonaldo, imo. If we go purely on goals scored than that's another debate. But won't destroy this thread. As long as he is the top scorer of the tournament and takes Portugal to semi-finals I'll be happy and probably enjoy him a bit more.

I'd like to see Flips top 10. Probably Pele, Ronaldo, Garrincha, Ronaldinho, Romario, Zico, Jairzinho, Socrates, Cafu and Neymar.

That is a fantastic list, put Rivaldo for Neymar/Jairzinho/Cafu and you have a pretty solid top 10 :lol: Man, why can't we produce those type of players anymore?