Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Up there with one of the worst games of football I've ever watched. Would be astounded if Scunny don't sack their manager soon (if they can afford it).

Thanks to the ridiculous promotion system then only have playoffs to play for really and their form is tragic, not a good sign but plenty time left i suppose.

He must have had some capital to buy the club. I maybe's can't see the whole lot going for less than £250k? Will see what's said in the meeting when it comes out, later.

Edited by Big Geordie

Club was sold for £1- someone said Tony Platten wrote off £700k notionally owed to him also.

Lots of red flags with this new guy IMO but the outgoing owners can be critisized for a lot of things but a lack of caution isn’t one of them.

Actions speak louder than words - let's see what unfolds, the meeting went well (handled some of the more challenging questions well) 

Attendance should be over the 1,000 mark on Saturday versus Boston, especially with Newcastle kicking off in the evening.  

You’d assume they’ve had people looking into him and them but even if he’s just the front man it’s not a great start despite the rhetoric. Especially as this is all publicly available stuff and doesn’t take that much digging into. 

Always think with the lower non league clubs using some sort of deposit scheme where cash needs to be physically proven that you can run a club should be in place a when clubs are effectively worth next to nowt. 

Was at Heaton Stan 3-1 Redcar Athletic yesterday afternoon. Proper long ball fest which is unlike Stan but the pitch is absolutely diabolical so needs must. Referee utterly terrible as per. 

11 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Heed right up with a chance of second, not that it matters with the idiotic playoffs

The National League should be a part of League Two, with a North South split.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

Weren't they toying with a similar idea about 10 years ago? Seem to remember making a league 1,2 and 3 of 20 teams being mentioned

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

Heed right up with a chance of second, not that it matters with the idiotic playoffs

Higher up you finish does give you more favourable chance in the play offs tbf. Finishing 3rd a lot better than 4th.

I think top 3 is a massive reach anyway, they're too inconsistent and rely on away form to prop up the home form. Getting in the play offs in any way would be an amazing effort given the turnover of manager and players midseason.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Nah, it shouldn't to be honest. The National League is a broad church. While there are big clubs at the top end there's also some tiny clubs like Oxford City who are not fit to be Football League sides. You also are putting NLN and NLS sides one step away from Football League.

There should probably be more movement between L2 and National League these days though. 3 promotion places has made sense for a while.

Edited by ponsaelius

On 25/02/2024 at 12:54, Stifler said:

I think League 3 since the majority of the league are fully pro anyway. I know it'd still be the 5th tier, but should have the same criteria as the rest of the Football League with 3 or 4 up & down.