Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

55 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Will be some good games at that level with Blyth Spartans, Morpeth, Hebburn, Whitby...hopefully one of Dunston and Stockton.

Absolutely class how the NE sides have kicked on since the old guard retired from the Northern League. That lot kept sides back 10-15 years while others around the country were growing and improving.

Need to see what happens with regards to Rushall's ground. Zero chance they will have the required work done by the deadline, so it's a case of the National League / FA judgment. If they fail, Blyth would actually stay up as the highest points of the relegated Step 2 sides.

Didn't realise old Championship manager legend Michael Dunwell was Stockton's manager. If Stokcton lose their semi final and Dunston win, do Dunston get home advantage in the final?

So just saw that Dunston and Stockton have their semi finals on Tuesday at 7.45pm and the final (where the highest placed team plays at home) is at 3pm on Saturday. I'd prefer Dunston to get promoted, but would like Stockton to if Dunston didn't, but if Dunston got to the final and played at home, I might look to go, so not really sure what I'm hoping for.

It was a fairly similar situation last year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Northern_Premier_League#Division_One_East

Stockton finished 2nd and Hebburn finished 3rd, so both north east sides had home advantage in their semi finals, but Long Eaton ended up beating both (away from home) on penalties. Stockton also lost in the final in 21/22 season (to Marske), so they do kind of deserve to go up, especially after missing out to Hebburn by only one point.

Long Eaton ended up joining the equivalent Southern League Premier for this season, but I see they have got relegated.

Edited by Paullow

11 hours ago, Disco said:

Stan finished third. Buzzing for Thursday.

They've had an incredible end to the season, despite a gruelling fixture list.

I'm definitely getting a ST next season, regardless what happens.

How does promotion between NL D1 and D2 work? Looking on wiki, admittedly not the best source, D1 currently has 20 teams, with seemingly only Sunderland RCA dropping, and in D2 Blyth promoted and then one of 4 to join them from the playoffs - will there be 21 teams in D1 next year, or will Marske be going straight into that league to make it 22 and an even number meaning every team can play each game week?

I forgot about the 2 teams getting promoted, so surely it can't be a 19 team league next year?

Gutted I wasn’t there but a great win for Hebburn to clinch the title! 

Some scenes in the bar later on mind! 

Liam Noble has made a huge difference - would love to see him there again next season!  

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Gutted I wasn’t there but a great win for Hebburn to clinch the title! 

Some scenes in the bar later on mind! 

Liam Noble has made a huge difference - would love to see him there again next season!  

How far up are they aiming? One more step?

On 27/04/2024 at 18:14, Matt said:

Absolutely class how the NE sides have kicked on since the old guard retired from the Northern League. That lot kept sides back 10-15 years while others around the country were growing and improving.

Need to see what happens with regards to Rushall's ground. Zero chance they will have the required work done by the deadline, so it's a case of the National League / FA judgment. If they fail, Blyth would actually stay up as the highest points of the relegated Step 2 sides.

When is the deadline for Rushall? I bet they will still get promoted regardless, due to Blyth being too far north.

On 29/04/2024 at 19:36, OpenC said:

Percy Main tonight with Alnwick, 0-1 at the break. Great crowd for the league and the day, must be getting on for 200 in

145 there. Superb crowd for a Monday night Northern Alliance fixture!

6 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

If you go you will see my u11 lads walking the team onto the pitch as mascots.

I sorted it today. 

Going to be a great match. 

Barring absolutely catastrophic weather conditions I’ll be there, aye. Saw they’d even managed to get a tractor onto the pitch to cut it so might be half playable for the first time in a few months.

29 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Dunston currently 2-0 up in their Play-Off Semi Final. Just under 700 there. 

Won 2-0, and so did Stockton, so it's Stockton vs Dunston in the final and another NE team in the NPL Premier Division next season, so good news for Blyth, Morpeth, and Hebburn.

Morpeth were pretty much on their own this season, bar Whitby at an absolute push, but they have 3 new local, intriguing fixtures to look forward to next season.

There is a direct train from Hexham to Stockton, but nothing like as convenient as to Dunston, so don't think I'll look to go (if there even was a chance to get in).

14 hours ago, Disco said:

Shildon at home beaten by West Auckland in the first NL1 playoff.

Fucking hell, they've had a catastrophic end to the season. Top to blowing the playoffs in a matter of weeks.

Big chance for Stan mind......

8 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Fucking hell, they've had a catastrophic end to the season. Top to blowing the playoffs in a matter of weeks.

The league was never in their hands though. Think the best they had was 3 clear with Bishops having 2 games in hand, but aye, a disappointing end for them. Mind, they did struggle last season in the NPL, so perhaps they'd rather just remain in this league for now, although no idea of their intentions, ambitions, or how the match played out last night.

1 hour ago, UncleBingo said:

West scored in the last minute n all to win.