Forward

Gayle - Keep squad player

Mitrovic - Sell

Murphy - Sell

Perez - Keep squad player

de Jong - Sell

Rivière - Sell

Armstrong - Loan out

I'd like priority signings to be a first team LB, CB, DM, LM, and ST (In no particular order). Also going to need a few decent squad players in various positions. Still undecided on Atsu.

:lol:

General consensus seems to be that we need at least 5-6 first team signings in the summer. Seems a tall order. What is the average for a newly promoted team?

I'd like to know this as well. Some on here mentioning a 'new spine' to the team which all sounds very, very unlikely and probably irresponsible. I highly doubt Rafa wants to bring in 5-6 new starters to the team and thereby dismantling the team he's trying to build. Two or three for the starting XI at best would be my guess. A centre back to challenge Lascelles' spot, a left winger for Gouffran and a no10 instead of Diame. Of course I would love to see the likes of Dummett replaced but I wouldn't be too hopeful and I'm not too confident either that the club brings in direct replacements for Hayden and Gayle.

Guest neesy111

General consensus seems to be that we need at least 5-6 first team signings in the summer. Seems a tall order. What is the average for a newly promoted team?

I'd like to know this as well. Some on here mentioning a 'new spine' to the team which all sounds very, very unlikely and probably irresponsible. I highly doubt Rafa wants to bring in 5-6 new starters to the team and thereby dismantling the team he's trying to build. Two or three for the starting XI at best would be my guess. A centre back to challenge Lascelles' spot, a left winger for Gouffran and a no10 instead of Diame. Of course I would love to see the likes of Dummett replaced but I wouldn't be too hopeful and I'm not too confident either that the club brings in direct replacements for Hayden and Gayle.

Are you sure about that?  He was happy to chop and change his squad all the time at Liverpool.  They made 79 signings during his tenure (not all are 1st team).

Are you sure about that?  He was happy to chop and change his squad all the time at Liverpool.  They made 79 signings during his tenure (not all are 1st team).

Now that you mention it - not a 100% sure! Maybe I'm just trying to temper my expectations. At the very least I want to see competition for places as the likes of Lazaar, Gámez, Colback, Perez and Mitrovic are providing very little to nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about who we might be able to get, who could play 'Rafa's way', and would improve what we have now. Priorities, for me, are no.10, striker, left wing, centre mid, centre back, left back. But also versatility, i.e. Cover for more than one position.

No.10/left wing: Marcus Coco (24, Guingamp). Appears to have everything to make a top class no.10. Can play left, right and forward. Presume he's right footed but seen good goals and passes with both feet (latter a good sign). Rafa to Coco, as Wenger to Henry?? what a thought....

Centre mid: Tom Cairney (26, Fulham). Looks a class act, stats have him as most effective central midfielder this season (meant to be from Toon supporting family, which might help). Doubt Delph (27) is available now, given recent resurgence in 1st team, but would have him from Man City if he was.

Centre back: Ben Gibson (24, 'Boro). Recent taste of senior international football might trigger a move after relegation. It might also appeal to get out from under his uncle's shadow and not to have to uproot his home/family. Or, Pontus Jansson (26, Torino on loan at Leeds). Big lad who has been solid this season and can see him forming an effective partnership with Clark.

Left back: Enda Stevens (26, Portsmouth) a late bloomer, solid, committed who could provide needed competition with Paul Dummett.

Striker: can't see anyone who is a good fit. Thought the Spanish second tier might have a couple of interesting options, but the three top scorers (Roger, Levante; Joselu, Lugo; Angel, Zaragoza) as far as I can tell, don't look the part.

Of the above, I would be most excited by Coco, Cairney, and Gibson.

There was likely a crossover period, yeah. Begovic used to be Stoke's number 1, then moved to Chelsea to sit on the bench. Only 29.

Cairney could be an option if Sigurdsson is deemed too old, or Swansea stay up.

Guest firetotheworks

Ideal world

GK

Darlow - Keep squad player

Sels - Sell

Elliot - Sell

Krul - Keep squad player

Woodman - Loan out

Defence

Yedlin - Keep squad player

Anita - Keep squad player

Gamez - Sell

Mbemba - Sell

Lascelles - Sell

Clark - Keep squad player

Hanley - Sell

Haïdara - Sell

Dummett - Keep squad player/first team

Lazaar - Sell

Sterry - Loan out

Mbabu - Loan out

Midfield

Ritchie - Keep first team/squad player

Shelvey - Keep first team/squad player

Colback - Sell

Hayden - Keep squad player

Diame - Sell

Aarons - Loan out

Gouffran - Release

Saivet - Sell

Ameobi - Sell

Forward

Gayle - Keep first team/squad player

Mitrovic - Sell

Murphy - Sell

Perez - Sell

de Jong - Sell

Rivière - Sell

Armstrong - Loan out

More realistic

GK

Darlow - Keep squad player

Sels - Sell

Elliot - Sell

Krul - Keep first team

Woodman - Loan out

Defence

Yedlin - Keep squad player/first team

Anita - Keep squad player/first team

Gamez - Sell

Mbemba - Sell

Lascelles - Keep squad player

Clark - Keep first team/squad player

Hanley - Sell

Haïdara - Sell

Dummett - Keep squad player/first team player

Lazaar - Keep squad player

Sterry - Loan out

Mbabu - Loan out

Midfield

Ritchie - Keep first team

Shelvey - Keep first team

Colback - Sell

Hayden - Keep squad player

Diame - Sell

Aarons - Loan out

Gouffran - Release

Saivet - Sell

Ameobi - Sell

Forward

Gayle - Keep first team

Mitrovic - Sell

Murphy - Sell

Perez - Keep squad player

de Jong - Keep squad player

Rivière - Sell

Armstrong - Loan out

I dunno KI. You're saying it's more realistic that you will retain 14 players (so probably needing to buy at least 10) and sell/release 14 others? Seems a bit insane.

What are the comparable numbers for a team like, say, Boro last year?

£29m outlay on five players, with four free transfers and two loans. According to:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/middlesbrough-fc/transfers/verein/641/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=s

Also like the look of Traore as a wing option from them. Very powerful and saw him leave Aguero standing (no slouch) in a flat out sprint for the ball when they played at the Etihad.

Dummett is a canny centre half

no body ever plays him there, its happened a handful of time, i admit he is, but hes played as a fullback, a very bad one

why wouldn't we keep him? ..he's shite, and was shite in the PL we deserve so much better than him, its about time we replaced him.

Guest chopey

I would keep him and get rid of someone else personally, apparently he's a great lad and him and his dad are currently buying loads of houses and renting them out like Robbie Fowler.