Preparing for the Premier League

Altamullan

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd rather we spent 15m + elsewhere basically... They are top championship players, but average PL players. Shelvey is an average PL player and is better than both IMO.

Hypothetically speaking, would folk prefer it if we went for Mooy or Cairney? Cairney looks the more accomplished passer from what little I've seen, whereas Mooy is a bit more robust, better tackler etc - perhaps a bit  more well-rounded.

Cairney is what Rafa thought he was getting with Diame. An AM who knows how to get on the end of stuff, a better Nolan.

He's not going to dictate play imo.

If we're talking CM's we need a box to box CM who is physical and basic as a priority. Shelvey can be our playmaker at the level we will be at...especially with dangerous wingers. A better version of Tiote...like a Kante but someone more realistic.

Hypothetically speaking, would folk prefer it if we went for Mooy or Cairney? Cairney looks the more accomplished passer from what little I've seen, whereas Mooy is a bit more robust, better tackler etc - perhaps a bit  more well-rounded.

Both shite. Mooy moreso.

I would take either, have liked both of them this season, age is decent so will probably improve also... The alternative is mccarthy from everton who I am underwhelmed by!

Whilst I like Shelvey and rate Hayden extremely highly (more to come from him) my recent YouTube research (ahem) makes me think that Mooy and Cairney would be a better pairing. If it had to be one, then Cairney looks like a Premier League player (stats best in Championship by some distance) but also concerned that with him and Shelvey as a pairing we won't have the ball winning potential we will need. Guess these are the decisions where top managers earn their big bucks.

Done a wee thing on Squawka comparing Shelvey, Mooy and Cairney: https://tinyurl.com/m4y4ut5

Some observations (obviously taking the fact that Shelvey has played 3 less games into account):

Cairney is well ahead of Shelvey and Mooy in almost every passing statistic (key passes, pass completion, total passes). Mooy has more key passes and chances created than Shelvey on average, albeit marginally so. Shelvey attempts the least amount of passes per game out of the 3.

Cairney's also the most prolific by a considerable margin - 12 goals and 10 assists compared to 5 and 8 (Shelvey) and 4 and 7 (Mooy).

Shelvey is the more ambitious passer of the 3, with a higher % of total passes going forward and a higher average pass length. You might also point to his lower pass completion rate here too. Around 43% of Cairney's passes go backwards, compared to 36% for Shelvey and 38% for Mooy.

Interestingly, Shelvey makes considerably more interceptions than the other two. Mooy makes significantly more tackles and has a better won-to-lost ratio than Shelvey or Cairney.

Cairney shoots more on average than Shelvey but is less accurate. Mooy is a fair way behind the other two in this regard.

Cairney is what Rafa thought he was getting with Diame. An AM who knows how to get on the end of stuff, a better Nolan.

He's not going to dictate play imo.

I strongly disagree with this based on the above and on what little I've seen of Fulham this season - a lot of their play goes through Cairney. Jokanovic also noted that Cairney 'made them tick' earlier in the season. He'll surely be competing with Shelvey for one of the CM spots if he signs. Mooy, by contrast, is more combative than the other two while less ambitious going forward. I'd see him as a replacement for Colback/competition for Hayden if he were to sign. 

Done a wee thing on Squawka comparing Shelvey, Mooy and Cairney: https://tinyurl.com/m4y4ut5

Some observations (obviously taking the fact that Shelvey has played 3 less games into account):

Cairney is well ahead of Shelvey and Mooy in almost every passing statistic (key passes, pass completion, total passes). Mooy has more key passes and chances created than Shelvey on average, albeit marginally so. Shelvey attempts the least amount of passes per game out of the 3.

Cairney's also the most prolific by a considerable margin - 12 goals and 10 assists compared to 5 and 8 (Shelvey) and 4 and 7 (Mooy).

Shelvey is the more ambitious passer of the 3, with a higher % of total passes going forward and a higher average pass length. You might also point to his lower pass completion rate here too. Around 43% of Cairney's passes go backwards, compared to 36% for Shelvey and 38% for Mooy.

Interestingly, Shelvey makes considerably more interceptions than the other two. Mooy makes significantly more tackles and has a better won-to-lost ratio than Shelvey or Cairney.

Cairney shoots more on average than Shelvey but is less accurate. Mooy is a fair way behind the other two in this regard.

:thup:

Shelvey playing behind Cairney, who was the best No10 I saw at St James' this season. Would be pleasing to the eye.

He played in conventional central midfield that day.

Shelvey playing behind Cairney, who was the best No10 I saw at St James' this season. Would be pleasing to the eye.

He played in conventional central midfield that day.

I was going to say that, seen people say he's a no 10 though.  :mystery:

I've only seen him play twice but I'd definitely take Mooy. Always seems to make the right decision on the ball. Shouldn't be as expensive as Cairney either coming from Man City

Cheers Parsley  O0

Just off numbers, but Cairney has 70 goals and assists in 180 games' worth of minutes in the Championship. His biggest production was in this past season. 20M does not strike me as unfair, because he is a proven top 10 Championship player. While the Championship is not a strong league, you'd think 10 players at least out of the 500 or so could make the step up (!)

I suppose we'll be playing 4-2-3-1 again with the bias on keeping it tight against better opposition, so the "3" will all have to contribute.

• 3 weeks later...

Possible first team squad: would that number of replacements be good enough? Even if not the exact players, similar quality?

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Caballero (Chelsea) :hmm: or Hart (West Ham) :hmm:

Reina

Ciaran Clark

Jamaal Lascelles

Mbemba

Semedo (Villareal) :hmm:

Lejeune  :smug: 

Mangala

Chambers

Jansson

Paul Dummett

Massadio Haidara

DeAndre Yedlin

Malone (Huddersfield):hmm:

Gibbs

Willems

Veltman?

Manquillo ( :dontknow: )

Cairney (new contract) :hmm:

Fuckus-Cheek (Palace)  :huff:

Clucas (Swansea) :hmm:

Murphy J. :smug:

Merino:angel: )

Kenedy

Isaac Hayden

Matt Ritchie

Jonjo Shelvey

Christian Atsu

Aarons

Sarr (Rennes) :hmm:

Samaris

Sam Larsson

Pires

Boudebouz

Holtby

Perez

Abrahams (Swansea) :hmm: or Onyekuru (Everton):hmm:

Bas Dost

Hernandez (West Ham) :hmm:

Joselu  ( :dontknow:

Dwight Gayle

Mitrovic

LOAN

Sterry

Toney (Wigan)

Armstrong (Bolton)

Woodman

SOLD/released

Vurnon Anita

Ameobi

Mbabu

Guoffran

Murphy D.

Hanley

Gamez

Colback

Diame

Siem de Jong

Rivière

Saivet

Sels (loaned to Anderlecht)

Krul (loaned to BHA)

Lazaar (loaned to Benevento)

• 2 months later...

The 25...

Possible first team squad: would that number of replacements be good enough? Even if not the exact players, similar quality?

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Caballero (Chelsea) :hmm: or Hart (West Ham) :hmm:

Reina

Ciaran Clark

Jamaal Lascelles

Mbemba

Semedo (Villareal) :hmm:

Lejeune  :smug: 

Mangala

Chambers

Jansson