Other clubs' transfers

Greg

I was talking about the media/pundits :thup:

Anyway where do you think big spending Aston Villa will finish next season Brummie?

Better than big spending Fulham did or?

I think we'll stay up.

The Fulham thing is nonsense, like.

As if the sensible thing to do would be not to sign new players.

Frankfurt forward Sébastien Haller is refusing a move to West Ham, despite the Hammers being willing to pay €40m to sign him - Frenchman would only move to a Champions' League club, according to BILD.

Better than Gomez please don’t happen :weep:

Gianluca di Marzio’s French correspondent

@Guillaumemp

Reporting that West Ham United approached Juventus today for Gonzalo Higuain, envisaging a loan with option to buy. Juve asked for €40m.

Jesus :lol:

Must be great knowing you’ve got £40million to blow on a Striker.

Anyway where do you think big spending Aston Villa will finish next season Brummie?

I think we'll stay up.

Better than big-spending Fulham and worse than big-spending Wolves.

I think we'll stay up.

Only sensible if the manager is right.

Will Dean Smith get Top 10 first season up like Rafa Benitez(Without money) and Nuno Santo did? Nope.

I think Aston Villa will be more in the Fulham and Brighton category = underachieving PL big spenders.

I think we'll stay up.

Will Dean Smith get Top 10 first season up like Rafa Benitez(Without money) and Nuno Santo did? Nope.

I think Aston Villa will be more in the Fulham and Brighton category = underachieving PL big spenders.

I think they might be in the Brighton category - teams who spend the TV money and achieve exactly what they aim to - Premier League survival. The big advantage they have over Brighton and Fulham is ground capacity and potential support, which means they will be more likely to push on, backed by owners who are willing to spend.

Do you really think Brighton are underachieving?

I think we'll stay up.

I think they might be in the Brighton category - teams who spend the TV money and achieve exactly what they aim to - Premier League survival. The big advantage they have over Brighton and Fulham is ground capacity and potential support, which means they will be more likely to push on, backed by owners who are willing to spend.

Massively have you not seen their net spend? :lol:

Reason why they’ve underachieved in relation to their net spend = The manager.

Aston Villa will have the same issue.

I think we'll stay up.

Net spend is kinda irrelevant - what matters is whether they are making a profit/breaking even, and whether they stay up. Don't know this year's figures yet, but here are last year's:

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2018/12/11/brighton-and-hove-albion-post-11m-profit/

They made a profit and they stayed up. Isn't that the bottom line?

I think we'll stay up.

Net spend is kinda irrelevant - what matters is whether they are making a profit/breaking even, and whether they stay up. Don't know this year's figures yet, but here are last year's:

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2018/12/11/brighton-and-hove-albion-post-11m-profit/

Just go look at their net spend :laugh:

You’ll be surprised.

They took a side that came second in the Championship and survived two PL campaigns - how can you transform a squad like that without spending squillions unless you have a manager like Rafa Benitez?

Leffe was generous - net spend is almost entirely irrelevant in Brighton’s context.

I think we'll stay up.

You’ll be surprised.

I did. Like I say, it doesn't mean much on its own because you have to factor in the enormous amount of money available from the TV deal. Their TV income went up from 7.7M to 110M when they got promoted. If they can argue that a net spend of 60M or whatever it was this year kept them in the Premier League then good luck to them. I'd be surprised if they broke even this year because presumably their wages went up again, but they stayed up, and that's the key achievement.

I think we'll stay up.

You’ll be surprised.

I did. Like I say, it doesn't mean much on its own because you have to factor in the enormous amount of money available from the TV deal. Their TV income went up from 7.7M to 110M when they got promoted. If they can argue that a net spend of 60M or whatever it was this year kept them in the Premier League then good luck to them. I'd be surprised if they broke even this year because presumably their wages went up again, but they stayed up, and that's the key achievement.

Rafa Benitez and Nuno Santo would have them Top 10 with their net spend.

I think we'll stay up.

You’ll be surprised.

Please stop saying "net spend".

I think there's a fair chance that Aston Villa get 44pts next season, which is what got you 10th. As to where that will get them, who knows? 44pts would have been 15th last year, and if you offered Villa that now they'd bite your arm off.

I think we'll stay up.

You’ll be surprised.

I think there's a fair chance that Aston Villa get 44pts next season, which is what got you 10th. As to where that will get them, who knows? 44pts would have been 15th last year, and if you offered Villa that now they'd bite your arm off.

Will Aston Villa get 10th first season up like Rafa Benitez did?

Will they even get between 10th-13th.

I’m predicting bottom 5 just like big spenders Fulham and Brighton could only manage despite spending big.

I think we'll stay up.

It’s not the spending, it’s who you’re buying. I know fees are inflated but I’d have expected a better standard of player coming in than what you’ve signed. They may turn out great but I’m not convinced.

I think we'll stay up.

You’ll be surprised.

Will Aston Villa get 10th first season up like Rafa Benitez did?

Will they even get between 10th-13th.

I’m predicting bottom 5 just like big spenders Fulham and Brighton could only manage despite spending big.

Do you understand that teams who are coming up from the championship have to spend money to even try and catch up with botton half premiership teams? You really can't use Newcastle as a comparison given our owner and the genius of Rafa.

"Will Villa get 10th like Rafa achieved?" No. Because they haven't got Rafa. It's of no shock to any of us that our world class manager was the difference. Are you saying that rather than buying players they should have just sacked their manager and approached Rafa?

GFFN

Aston Villa are in advanced negotiations to sign 24-year-old Belgian central defender Björn Engels from Reims.

Aston Villa signing another player :laugh:

Will they outspend Fulham as the team that has spent the most from a promoted side ever?

Probably.

GFFN

Aston Villa are in advanced negotiations to sign 24-year-old Belgian central defender Björn Engels from Reims.

Will they outspend Fulham as the team that has spent the most from a promoted side ever?

Probably.

I'm interested, I don't know why.

Should they not be signing players? Are you actually claiming that staying in the league is 100% based on who the manager is?

GFFN

Probably.

I almost hope they finish top four now just so you stop with this weirdness.

GFFN

Probably.

I almost hope they finish top four now just so you stop with this weirdness.

Bottom 5 more likely.