Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That doesn't matter. If I go into a job and keep the things that worked well previously and achieve comparable results that were seen as a success - I would have done a decent job.

You're letting your personal bias cloud your judgement. 

Obviously Rafa did a better job. He built that foundation and he managed the fans much better.

It's not personal bias, I just don't agree Bruce did a good job. As @Chris_R has shown quite graphically, the only thing Bruce did a good job of was taking us on a downward trajectory.

I think John Carver or one of the three Steves could have done the same job when they weren't stuffing their faces with all day breakfasts at the training ground caf. Is that doing a good job? Not by my definition.

Bruce’s idea of having a go was bringing every attacking player off the bench on for defensive players when we were getting beat and completely ruining the shape of the team, not that there was much of a coordinated plan in the first place like. 

Doesn’t work on Football Manager or real life, that.

Edited by Danh1

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Bruce’s idea of having a go was bringing every attacking player off the bench on for defensive players when we were getting beat and completely ruining the shape of the team, not that there was much of a coordinated plan in the first place like. 

Doesn’t work on Football Manager or real life, that.

Aye he was gung-ho many a time but I call it having a go regardless and his track record is favourable with Rafa's but overall better football for games played excluding Rafa's championship season.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Yeah Bruce couldn't get the best out of him. He also had ASM and Wilson as well mind.

Aye. Wilson was always injured and Maxi was the one carrying us forward and did a great job doing so but neglected to track back or chase the ball once lost.

However the football was much more enjoyable under Bruce for most part. As far as I'm concerned anyway.

Just now, magvicar said:

Aye. Wilson was always injured and Maxi was the one carrying us forward and did a great job doing so but neglected to track back or chase the ball once lost.

However the football was much more enjoyable under Bruce for most part. As far as I'm concerned anyway.

So if we had Rondon instead of Wilson do you think we'd have scored more than we did under Benitez?

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

So if we had Rondon instead of Wilson do you think we'd have scored more than we did under Benitez?

If we had a regular strong Wilson we would've, I'm fairly confident of that.

As for Rondon. He fitted Rafa's style, not Bruce's.

Just now, magvicar said:

If we had a regular strong Wilson we would've, I'm fairly confident of that.

As for Rondon. He fitted Rafa's style, not Bruce's.

God MagVicar I just wanna pinch your cheeks and ruffle your hair and tell you how adorable you are.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

God MagVicar I just wanna pinch your cheeks and ruffle your hair and tell you how adorable you are.

I'm bald but I won't take away your enthusiasm, so fill your boots. :lol:

Edited by magvicar

3 hours ago, magvicar said:

You're obviously entitled to your opinion as are other, as I am. We aren't all going to like some opinions but then again it's all about what one person sees of something against another.

It’s not though. It’s ‘about’ effective analysis and ineffective analysis. ‘It’s all about opinions’ is the hallmark of someone with shit opinions. You don’t like him, fine. That’s a feeling, based on who knows what. You’re trying to dress it up as analysis.

2 minutes ago, magvicar said:

Aye he was gung-ho many a time but I call it having a go regardless and his track record is favourable with Rafa's but overall better football for games played excluding Rafa's championship season.

Utter nonsense.

The football we played in the second half of 18-19 pissed all over anything seen under Bruce.

Have-a-go football ??

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

It’s not though. It’s ‘about’ effective analysis and ineffective analysis. ‘It’s all about opinions’ is the hallmark of someone with shit opinions. You don’t like him, fine. That’s a feeling, based on who knows what. You’re trying to dress it up as analysis.

You're entitled to your opinion on what you think I dress it up as but that's my opinion and I won't be wavering on it anymore than you will on what you think.

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

Utter nonsense.

The football we played in the second half of 18-19 pissed all over anything seen under Bruce.

Have-a-go football ??

So a portion of a season. I'll let you have that.

We were in one hell of a state until that change happened. In relegation danger until Rafa went for it. He should've done it at the start.

Just now, magvicar said:

So a portion of a season. I'll let you have that.

We were in one hell of a state until that change happened. In relegation danger until Rafa went for it. He should've done it at the start.

We came one hell of a lot closer to going down under Bruce than we did under Rafa once we came back up!!

Neither Rafa nor Bruce had us playing good football. We were just getting men behind the ball and hoping for something on the break or from a set piece. We had no press at all. 

Apart from the turnaround in results, it's a major achievement of Eddie's that he's been able to coach a much more positive and attacking performance out of the squad. The usual strategy for getting out of a relegation scrap is to shore up the defence, but he achieved it with the opposite strategy.