Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Yeah, still bemused that some people are continuing with the horse s*** as well. I put it down to an emotional overreaction, but some have battened down like my dad's brother who voted for Trump.

No overreaction at all just telling it how it is. As for far superior teams as some on here keep saying maybe Bristol City should have played the same way the other week then with a team assembled for pennies if they had I don’t think they would be in the semi final right now. That performance until the subs come on was shocking and in 46 years of watching football I have never seen any Newcastle team play in that fashion what happened for the first half. You’re not going to change my mind or others and vice versa and I accept that it’s football and footballs always been about opinions but it damn well certainly wasn’t a overreaction.

Well football's moved on from 46 years ago, it's a shame in many ways, but we can't really turn the clock back unfortunately.

I’m talking about the whole 46 years and not actually 46 years ago. Never seen any team play like that formation in my life with no attempt to even try and combat the threat.

This suggest you don't understand our tactics against Man City and that you don't understand how tactical shape, positioning, discipline etc. works.

Watch the Man City game less than two years ago and you will see how tactical shape, positioning, discipline and with a counter threat should be. So yes I fully understand what it takes to play against a superior team. What I saw on Wednesday is a team that was able to practically walk the ball into the last third of the pitch, no challenges and players losing their markers at will resulting in chances and shots on goal happening every few minutes. When the subs were made I saw the team then press city ensuring space and chances were kept to a minimum and we then started to push city back, which was like the full 90 minutes of the last city game. I understand fully I certainly don’t think you do though.

Yeah, still bemused that some people are continuing with the horse s*** as well. I put it down to an emotional overreaction, but some have battened down like my dad's brother who voted for Trump.

No overreaction at all just telling it how it is. As for far superior teams as some on here keep saying maybe Bristol City should have played the same way the other week then with a team assembled for pennies if they had I don’t think they would be in the semi final right now. That performance until the subs come on was shocking and in 46 years of watching football I have never seen any Newcastle team play in that fashion what happened for the first half. You’re not going to change my mind or others and vice versa and I accept that it’s football and footballs always been about opinions but it damn well certainly wasn’t a overreaction.

Well football's moved on from 46 years ago, it's a shame in many ways, but we can't really turn the clock back unfortunately.

I’m talking about the whole 46 years and not actually 46 years ago. Never seen any team play like that formation in my life with no attempt to even try and combat the threat.

This suggest you don't understand our tactics against Man City and that you don't understand how tactical shape, positioning, discipline etc. works.

Watch the Man City game less than two years ago and you will see how tactical shape, positioning, discipline and with a counter threat should be. So yes I fully understand what it takes to play against a superior team. What I saw on Wednesday is a team that was able to practically walk the ball into the last third of the pitch, no challenges and players losing their markers at will resulting in chances and shots on goal happening every few minutes. When the subs were made I saw the team then press city ensuring space and chances were kept to a minimum and we then started to push city back, which was like the full 90 minutes of the last city game. I understand fully I certainly don’t think you do though.

City have 58 points at the moment. That City team finished on 66 points

Again, you don't understand the tactics we employed. If we went man or man, toe to toe with this Man City side we let in 4+.

We had a squad with much more quality then, a lot less heart and desire but without doubt more ability. We were also up against a half decent City side, not the world class one we were up against earlier this week.

You said we did nothing to combat them, that's just bollocks, our entire set up was to combat are frustrate them. It nearly worked.

Players losing their markers :lol: .... see the shape of our team? We weren't marking individuals, our set up was to be disciplined and not allow space, spare defender tracks the runner, it very nearly worked against on the best teams we've seen in the last 20 years.

This City side now is literally what everyone thought was going to happen if we gave Pep an infinite budget in this league, they're far beyond anything we've seen before. There isn't any comparison to any other side in Premiership history, not just Manchester City sides of previous years.

They're probably not as strong as the Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich sides we've seen over the past decade but I doubt they're miles off. I'm not 'happy' with a 1-0 loss but I'm definitely happy with the effort and tactically I thought it was a wise choice.

Am I reading it right, hes taking the piss that City or Pep cant complain how sides set up against a side that can just buy the league and walk all over sides, if we or Rafa are to get any sort of results against such sides.

He's certainly not talking about Labours intrrest in funding grassroots football.

Again, you don't understand the tactics we employed. If we went man or man, toe to toe with this Man City side we let in 4+.

We had a squad with much more quality then, a lot less heart and desire but without doubt more ability. We were also up against a half decent City side, not the world class one we were up against earlier this week.

You said we did nothing to combat them, that's just bollocks, our entire set up was to combat are frustrate them. It nearly worked.

Players losing their markers :lol: .... see the shape of our team? We weren't marking individuals, our set up was to be disciplined and not allow space, spare defender tracks the runner, it very nearly worked against on the best teams we've seen in the last 20 years.

I saw the shape, I saw that city players were getting space and behind that shape time after time after time. It only nearly worked because city had an off day in front of goal - our play did not stop them getting behind our defence, into the danger area, getting shots on goal. Just can’t understand the mentality here we were cut to shreds man. As far markers well actually if Yedlin hadn’t lost the player he was supposed to be marking we might have actually got the draw. You do not allow a player your marking make runs you follow your manIf you allow teams with quality to play they will. You will never stop quality teams from having one or two chances but that first half performance was a case of putting ten men behind the ball to try and stop the space however it was not executed very well. Isn’t it funny it’s only in the main Newcastle fans who actually think this was acceptable. In some ways it would have been interesting if city had their shooting boots on because the attitude . would have been far different that’s for sure.

You also mention we had a better team last time possibly you’re right but it still went down but Rafa had them playing exactly the right way that night as he did against Liverpool earlier in the season and Tottenham until the sending off. Those three games were a totally different and correct way for playing a defensive game, putting pressure on the opppsition. Not allowing space and not keep kicking the ball straight back to the opposition and having an attacking threat. Not one person on here has also cared to answer my point about how a Bristol City team costing pennies managed to counter a far superior team either. Just cannot believe that people on here thought we did well on Wednesday especially that first half.

That Bristol City comparison is a little silly if you ask me like. Winning a sprint of a one off cup game, that has no bearing on your role and maintaining in your position is not the same as running the marathon of the Premier League and also on the back of like 4 points from the last 30 or whatever it was.

Rafa played the safest bet and it nearly paid off. If we do stay up on goal difference I'm sure we'll all be praising us for not getting wankered in this game. Not much chance of it coming down to that I appreciate but still... We're not to know that at present.

The way the tactics were executed, I.e. With 100% grit, discipline and determination was not the issue but not enough quality or ability was. We'll win today though so let's not worry too much.

I saw the shape, I saw that city players were getting space and behind that shape time after time after time. It only nearly worked because city had an off day in front of goal - our play did not stop them getting behind our defence, into the danger area, getting shots on goal. Just can’t understand the mentality here we were cut to shreds man. As far markers well actually if Yedlin hadn’t lost the player he was supposed to be marking we might have actually got the draw. You do not allow a player your marking make runs you follow your manIf you allow teams with quality to play they will. You will never stop quality teams from having one or two chances but that first half performance was a case of putting ten men behind the ball to try and stop the space however it was not executed very well. Isn’t it funny it’s only in the main Newcastle fans who actually think this was acceptable. In some ways it would have been interesting if city had their shooting boots on because the attitude . would have been far different that’s for sure.

You also mention we had a better team last time possibly you’re right but it still went down but Rafa had them playing exactly the right way that night as he did against Liverpool earlier in the season and Tottenham until the sending off. Those three games were a totally different and correct way for playing a defensive game, putting pressure on the opppsition. Not allowing space and not keep kicking the ball straight back to the opposition and having an attacking threat. Not one person on here has also cared to answer my point about how a Bristol City team costing pennies managed to counter a far superior team either. Just cannot believe that people on here thought we did well on Wednesday especially that first half.

The team 2 years ago went down due to shocking management by a shocking manager in Steve McClaren. Give Rafa those players over a 38 game season and would we be where we are now? No.

And I'll answer your Bristol City question. I didn't watch the game between them and Man Utd but Man City are miles ahead of their rivals. They're coached better on and off the ball and are breaking goalscoring records, winning records, the lot. Look at the movement to create an option man:

t5g2V6z.gif

How were we 'cut to shreds'? They created chances because they're a fantastic side, it would have been nigh on impossible to restrict them to creating nothing and we were always going to need a bit of luck, but they hardly got in behind us at will like you're making out.

The goal, De Bruyne's 1-2 and Dummett's fuck up to let Aguero in are all I can really think of.

EDIT: 1 piece of comical defending after our corner led us to being hit on the break too.

That Bristol City comparison is a little silly if you ask me like. Winning a sprint of a one off cup game, that has no bearing on your role and maintaining in your position is not the same as running the marathon of the Premier League and also on the back of like 4 points from the last 30 or whatever it was.

Rafa played the safest bet and it nearly paid off. If we do stay up on goal difference I'm sure we'll all be praising us for not getting wankered in this game. Not much chance of it coming down to that I appreciate but still... We're not to know that at present.

The way the tactics were executed, I.e. With 100% grit, discipline and determination was not the issue but not enough quality or ability was. We'll win today though so let's not worry too much.

It’s not a silly comparison at all the city team were set up to get a result against a far superior team by putting in 100% into the game, putting pressure on and restricting space whilst also ensuring a counter threat was available which is the only way you are going to counter act a far superior team. If you allow teams with quality to play they will. You’re right though we have another game today and a vital one at that.

How were we 'cut to shreds'? They created chances because they're a fantastic side, it would have been nigh on impossible to restrict them to creating nothing and we were always going to need a bit of luck, but they hardly got in behind us at will like you're making out.

Difference is restricting them to a few not many like we did against Liverpool and Tottenham. All teams will usually get one or two chances in a game. They got behind us time after time except for the last 15 minutes when we started to actually put pressure onto them.

It’s not a silly comparison at all the city team were set up to get a result against a far superior team by putting in 100% into the game, putting pressure on and restricting space whilst also ensuring a counter threat was available which is the only way you are going to counter act a far superior team. If you allow teams with quality to play they will. You’re right though we have another game today and a vital one at that.

Aye, but my point is it was a one off game for them with literally like nothing to lose what so ever. If we had have taken a battering it could have serious consequences if that effected our goal difference to the point that we don't stay up. It's a long shot I appreciate but we all know Rafa plays it safe.

I genuinely think that despite it not being good to watch, it was the right tactics to employ, only we don't have the players to quite carry it out successfully against a team of that stature. That's nowt to be ashamed of, because we've done better defensively against them than most the league, luck or no luck...and if it were the former by God it's about time we had some.

Anyways... I'm confident we'll play more attacking football today and we'll win. 3 points vs Brighton would be huge in the long run.

It is a bit silly as yes there is a big gulf but they were playing a one off cup tie against a very disjointed Man United side. Man United have lost a lot of similar games in recent times 4 of their last 7.

We were playing against one of the best sides ever, that had won 18, drawn 1, lost 0.

Haven't you literally just described our gameplan on Wednesday there? :lol:

When the fuck did we put pressure on their team, restrict them space and have a counter attack do you honestly think apart from the last 15 minutes we did. :lol: :lol:

Difference is restricting them to a few not many like we did against Liverpool and Tottenham. All teams will usually get one or two chances in a game. They got behind us time after time except for the last 15 minutes when we started to actually put pressure onto them.

When though? I can think of 4 times, 1 due to really bad individual play (Dummett), another due to some comical team defending, and the other 2 through De Bruyne being on another planet?

There might have been more but I cannot remember them, I didn't feel on edge at all like I usually do in these games.

When the f*** did we put pressure on their team,

You can't really. You can't commit to a press in midfield or with the players they have they'll punish you by exploting the space.

restrict them space
We did. Flat back 5, bank of 4 and Joselu pressing, sitting deep. Get ball out wide to pacey wings to carry possession forward.

and have a counter attack do you honestly think apart from the last 15 minutes we did. :lol: :lol:

The players' ball retention in the first half was shocking. You can't put that down to tactics: passes and touches going astray etc.

It is a bit silly as yes there is a big gulf but they were playing a one off cup tie against a very disjointed Man United side. Man United have lost a lot of similar games in recent times.

We were playing against one of the best sides ever, that had won 18, drawn 1, lost 0.

If we had shown the same application as they did or we did against Liverpool or Tottenham or City you would not have heard a buzz from me even if we had let in 3 or 4. Nobody is denying their quality and that’s exactly why I am saying you don’t allow teams like that to be allowed to walk the ball into our third of the pitch without even a challenge or a token effort to put pressure onto their team and to not give them the time or space to pick their pass. The last 15 minutes is exactly how the previous 75 should have been played as we then started to put the pressure on and the challenges in.

It is a bit silly as yes there is a big gulf but they were playing a one off cup tie against a very disjointed Man United side. Man United have lost a lot of similar games in recent times.

If we had shown the same application as they did or we did against Liverpool or Tottenham or City you would not have heard a buzz from me even if we had let in 3 or 4. Nobody is denying their quality and that’s exactly why I am saying you don’t allow teams like that to be allowed to walk the ball into our third of the pitch without even a challenge or a token effort to put pressure onto their team and to not give them the time or space to pick their pass. The last 15 minutes is exactly how the previous 75 should have been played as we then started to put the pressure on and the challenges in.

We were chasing the game at 0-1 down, their defenders were tiring and we put pacey players on as subs in Gayle and Atsu. I think it's quite easy to say "we should have played like that the whole game" but it just wouldn't have worked like that. We would've tired with them playing passes around our press we would've gotten done 3 or 4+.

For the umpteenth time, this just didn't happen. We were very disciplined in our shape a really restricted their space and came close to shutting them out.

But hey, it would have been much better to go toe to toe with a press and get picked off and be 4 nil down after 25 minutes eh?

We were chasing the game at 0-1 down, their defenders were tiring and we put pacey players on as subs in Gayle and Atsu. I think it's quite easy to say "we should have played like that the whole game" but it just wouldn't have worked like that. We would've tired with them playing passes around our press we would've gotten done 3 or 4+.

We tried rushing Man Utd, Bournemouth and Leicester and ended up getting dicked after 20 minutes (well, 45 against Bournemouth). It's likely City would have double fisted us.

When the f*** did we put pressure on their team,

You can't really. You can't commit to a press in midfield or with the players they have they'll punish you by exploting the space.

restrict them space
We did. Flat back 5, bank of 4 and Joselu pressing, sitting deep. Get ball out wide to pacey wings to carry possession forward.

and have a counter attack do you honestly think apart from the last 15 minutes we did. :lol: :lol:

The players' ball retention in the first half was shocking. You can't put that down to tactics: passes and touches going astray etc.

1. The pressure is put on from your front players, midfield and defence not just the midfield. We didn’t do that in any area and as a result they had time to pick their passes at will.

2. We didn’t restrict them space though they got behind us time and time again.

3. Totally agree ball retention was abysmal especially the front three. How the plank up front keeps getting a game I will never know.

We tried rushing Man Utd, Bournemouth and Leicester and ended up getting dicked after 20 minutes (well, 45 against Bournemouth). It's likely City would have double fisted us.

Personally think the Bournemouth and Leicester games were a bit different than us being dicked after 20 minutes mind, but I agree with your overall point. :thup: