Glenn Roeder's future.

James

Glenn Roeder should be sacked. But not yet.

That is the stance I adopt, and would hope that anyone taking over the club would take the same stance. I would also hope that Shepherd would feel the same way, but that is unlikely.

We look unlikely to get relegated, and we may even sneak into the UEFA Cup once more, but Roeder has shown himself as being out of his depth in the transfer market, and has often been outwitted during matchday situations. some of his matchday first team selections have been very poor. Fact is, he is not a good enough manager for a club with infastructure the size we have.

I feel that our recent run has papered over several small cracks (I'm hoping that massive cracks wont emerge with the return of Carr and Parker, if there are massive cracks, we may be in trouble and Roeder would have to go sooner), and these small cracks wont go away without us employing a better manager.

Better managers are increasingly unlikely to leave their jobs midseason, and with Curbishley going to West Ham, there is only Sven who is currently both unemployed and employable (ignoring Hitzfeld and Lippi who would probably be out of our reach in my opinion). Therefore, I would want to wait until we near the end of the season before attempting to secure a top manager from home or abroad. Until then Roeder is probably better than anyone we can bring in.

Should be given until the end of the season unless we're dragged into a relegation fight again. Shepherd set his target at top 6 and if that isn't achieved then it's a good enough reason to sack him. Right now he's doing very well considering the amount of injuries though.

I liken this to all the debate about the England RUFC manager/ head coach job. No one has come out and said the obvious. The reason why England are not winning is because the players arent that good.

Our players are not that good. With the best manager in the world, we would not beat Chelsea tomorrow.

I liken this to all the debate about the England RUFC manager/ head coach job. No one has come out and said the obvious. The reason why England are not winning is because the players arent that good.

Our players are not that good. With the best manager in the world, we would not beat Chelsea tomorrow.

You can say that, but then look at how O'Neill has done a few small things, triggerring a massive improvement in the performances of what were considered as shit players.

ON the contrary I think we have some very good players in our squad. A good manager would get the best of them, eg. Dyer, Martins, Emre, Parker, Milner, Zoggy, Taylor, Given

Thats totally true. God just imagine what Martin O'Neill could do with our squad judging by what he's done with Gashton Villa.... As Hawk says...some of our players are fan-freakin'-tastic....great managers get the best out of good players......

Obviously not to the great extent that we have at the moment, but having 5 or 6 injured players works for Roeder. That way the team picks itself and he can't make stupid decisions. :roll:  Notice how we've only ever done well under Roeder when we've had 'significant' injuries.

Naff manager. We'll finish mid-table which is nowhere near good enough. He won't get sacked, though - not so long as we're consistently 5 or 6 points from relegation.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Glenn has done well over the past few weeks to get us out of the relegation zone under the circumstances but he wont and never will be the man to take us any further than he has, 7th!

I do know that 'If if and ands were pots and pans there'd be no use for tinkers' but if we had managed to not capitulate against Fulham and Shef U (40 mins of football) and managed to get it together against Charlton for one half of the match (45 mins of football), there would be no talk of sacking him.

I dont want to debate those games, just want to acknowledge that the line between success and failure is a thin one. Roeder and the squad look to have put a terrible October behind them. Credit where its due ffs.

I do think that so far we have underachived this season but i would give him till the end of the season then sack him then, i just cant see us moving forward under Roader Hitzfeld, O'neill, curbs-maybe or thaat dutch dude who is manager of Russia or summit, if i was to keep Roader i would like to see Bobby come back as a director of football type role, to pass his experiance on and to help recomend, not decide signings

Guest MalcolmSm1th

You ungrateful lot.  If it weren't for Roeder the fixture list would have teams such as Cardiff, Sunderland, Birmingham and Leeds on it.

I want to keep Roeder; he owes the club nothing and the club owes him a large debt.  If he gets ditched for, say, coming seventh the season after he avoided relegation then that is nothing short of abysmal.  If any chairman shows that sort of loyalty to any manager then who would want the job.

I'm happy with Roeder and I think that he should stay.

You can say that, but then look at how O'Neill has done a few small things, triggerring a massive improvement in the performances of what were considered as shit players.

True, Roeder doesn't appear to be implementing the basics.

Also, it's Glenn's own fault if the squad is not good enough, building it is one of the manager's main jobs. It's not as if he was appointed a week before the transfer window closed either, he had the entire Summer to strengthen and Bernard ended up being the only defender he signed. I was worried by his comments today 'I'm not interested in bringing Woodgate, Distin or Knight to Newcastle' I hope January doesn't turn into a repeat of the last window, Roeder ruling out every realistic possibility whilst maintaining we're in pole position for several signings, then on deadline day producing Andy O'Brien on a 4 month loan.

Roeder was given a two year contract which i think is a good bit of business from Shepherd. He hasnt got a lengthy contract so that after this year if his performance isn't acceptable then he can be let go without costing the club £5m like Souness did. At the end of the day Newcastle fans in general didn't really want the appointment of Roeder but we all said the same thing, that we would get behind him 110% and the fans to their credit have given him the time. This is the season he will be judged.

I share the opinion that he isnt a brilliant manager and is just a farely average one. I dont particularly think he is much better than Souness in my honest opinion though I will eat humble pie should Roeder achieve a good position in the league this season.

And for the person who said 'if it wasnt for roeder we would be going to places like Cardiff etc, There is nothing more saying we would have got relegated last season than there is to say we would have stayed up under Souness. Souness wasn't the right man for the job granted. but on the scale of things Roeder has hardly been fantastic to date. The premiership win % in somebody's signature above shows this.

Sacking him would be a disgrace.

Depending on how the next few months go I am more or less pleased with Roeder, he obviously needs more help though, add pearson and we have seen the difference the extra imput gives.

Im prepared to give him until the end of the season, like most I dont think he has the magic to take us where we need, but I guess the ipswich fans said the same when SBR nearly relegated them, and like wise with an early stuttering Alex Ferguson at Manure.

Not that im saying Roeder will ever be in the same league as either. But consistency is the key.

If anything I would move Roeder upstairs at the end of the season to the DOF job he was made for, his vision is great, he has a love of the club like most of us and is an intelligent man.

Its either that or appoint an Experienced DOF that he can turn to if things arent going well.

The worrying thing is that more than likely he will make the step up to DOF, but it will be for the prodigal son returning home to make the step up to manager...

Just for the record, they're a huge 6 points ahead of us and we've been there already and they've got to come here still...so probably 3 points.

The Manager is the focal point for getting the best out of players, but his backroom staff are the driving force.

Frankly with the exception of Pearson, who IMO has marshalled the backline in his short time here, the "team" behind Roeder is a disgrace.

Clarke: black and white through and through, can't keep his gob shut. Questionable coaching ability? First team and

Reserve team coach, why?

Terry Mac: Self confessed cone carrier and joke teller, coaching ability - nil, however his role is mirrored by that twat at Chelsea, Billy Blood I think his name is.

Terry Gennoe: Fantastic.

Backroom staff is our problem.

I agree, Roeder needs more experience and support around him.

Maybe harsh comments on Clark, he is a far cry from the yes men we are used to and many of us have witnessed him flaring up in Roeders face if he thinks something needs to be said during a match. Experience is his flaw.

A D.O.F. would ease the pressure but we certainly could do with at least another EXPERIENCED coach.

I agree, Roeder needs more experience and support around him.

Isn't that up to the manager? Surely Freddy isn't the one picking the backroom staff we hire.

Should be, but its not Roeder that holds the purse strings for the wages. Roeder certainly wanted to go down the DOF route, why he has cooled off that idea i dont know, be it no-one interested/good enough for the job, or the fat man vetoing it who knows?

We are nowhere good enough and the cracks are being papered over. Yes we have injuries but the correct signings were not made in August and the squad is not deep enough. Whose fault ? It must be Roeder's as he cannot seem to attract the right calibre of player ,albeit he can get the mercenaries but anyone could do that. He is at best an average to mediocre manager who cannot change a game whilst it is in progress, has an uncanny ability to pick the wrong teams who usually lack any balanceand I have difficulty in seeing any reality in his much vaunted man management skills.  I still sit in the Gallowgate end at every game wondering how we are going to win any game. Yes I know we have won the last three but watching Reading last week I went through agonies. I really worry that Roeder will not spend whatever money we have in January wisely. His track record hardly inspires confidence. Would I like to see him go.... Yes I would as long as he is the manager we are not going anywhere but mid table mediocrity