Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

On a message board? Really? 

unless you mean pitchside of course 

Just giving him ratings of 2 and such like man, online and that. What a bunch of absolute fucking doylems.

I'm not saying people can't think he's not as good as Tonali, he's our weakest link, he's an average midfielder, aye - whatever, but at least be objective and fair about it. Not necessarily on this forum but social media and even in person - people at the games or watching in bars. He's just a scapegoat and an easy target. He clearly isn't the most confident of kids and he adores playing for his home, his city. What do people want?! It's not his fault he's picked and when he is picked he gives it his all and more. I'd have 11 Sean Longstaffs over 11 fucking Sissoko's every day of the week.

Absolute piss take.

He's our player, from our home.

Edited by Heron

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

On a message board? Really? 

unless you mean pitchside of course 

It's pointless having a discussion board if we aren't allowed to give honest opinions. What's preventing giving a reasoned defence of the player rather than telling people to fuck off? Could just counter by saying Longstaff brings this or that to the table when he plays. Far more effective.

Just now, TRon said:

It's pointless having a discussion board if we aren't allowed to give honest opinions. What's preventing giving a reasoned defence of the player rather than telling people to fuck off? Could just counter by saying Longstaff brings this or that to the table when he plays. Far more effective.

Saying shit like he was a 2 is literally pathetic.

Like I say, it wasn't aimed at anyone in here, just all the shit I see online.

It is clear what Longstaff brings and that someone like Tonali brings more, Longstaff is steady, hard working cog in the labour intensive Newcastle machine. He's not a world beater, he hasn't got the range of passing Tonali has, the physicality of Joelinton, or the pace of Willock, but he's got stamina and he fills the gaps that enabled the likes of Bruno and others to work their magic.

People aren't being reasonable saying it was all his fault for the goal, or he was a 2 or owt like that, it's almost pointless discussing it with them people cause they clearly have an agenda.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Saying shit like he was a 2 is literally pathetic.

Like I say, it wasn't aimed at anyone in here, just all the shit I see online.

It is clear what Longstaff brings and that someone like Tonali brings more, Longstaff is steady, hard working cog in the labour intensive Newcastle machine. He's not a world beater, he hasn't got the range of passing Tonali has, the physicality of Joelinton, or the pace of Willock, but he's got stamina and he fills the gaps that enabled the likes of Bruno and others to work their magic.

People aren't being reasonable saying it was all his fault for the goal, or he was a 2 or owt like that, it's almost pointless discussing it with them people cause they clearly have an agenda.

It wasn't all his fault for the goal, there was quite a few mistakes from others which compounded his. Don't really know what people write on social media if you are talking about that so can't comment. It's a subjective thing. You mentioned disliking Sissoko and I actually thought he was much better for us than he was given credit for. At least we got £30m for him so it wasn't all bad.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

It wasn't all his fault for the goal, there was quite a few mistakes from others which compounded his. Don't really know what people write on social media if you are talking about that so can't comment. It's a subjective thing. You mentioned disliking Sissoko and I actually thought he was much better for us than he was given credit for. At least we got £30m for him so it wasn't all bad.

Sissoko didn't give his all for us that's the difference. You can have a go at folk for not putting effort in, it's an easily changeable metric, try harder. You're not gonna make an average player better who's giving you 200% better slating him weekly. That's the point (not aimed at you but generally).

2 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I find it baffling that you would choose to post the David Hasselhoff version.

I mean when i first saw he had made one there was no choice really 

Edited by Displayname

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

Sissoko didn't give his all for us that's the difference. You can have a go at folk for not putting effort in, it's an easily changeable metric, try harder. You're not gonna make an average player better who's giving you 200% better slating him weekly. That's the point (not aimed at you but generally).

Every professional player should give his all, that should be a given. Doesn't matter whether they are local or from Botswana. I just don't see the point of taking discussions in this direction, otherwise why don't Liverpool play a team of scousers and be happy with them giving it their all in whatever division they end up in?

Giving it your all doesn't really count for much when its evidently not good enough. I don't blame Longstaff for the situation he's in, but being a confidence player for a team that's on the up and him being out of form is only going to end one way.

22 minutes ago, TRon said:

Every professional player should give his all, that should be a given. Doesn't matter whether they are local or from Botswana. I just don't see the point of taking discussions in this direction, otherwise why don't Liverpool play a team of scousers and be happy with them giving it their all in whatever division they end up in?

It isn't a given though, cause some players don't.

I see the point you're making. Teams need more to be successful, you're not wrong. However, it is not good practice for folk to try and ruin the lads confidence whilst he is continued to be selected and continues to give his all. What are folk trying to achieve by being overly negative about his performance? It is disingenuous to suggest he has played anywhere near a 2 at any point his season.

1.63 for yesterday. That's not being done with any objectivity. People think Tonali should start and are now looking to crucify Longstaff at any opportunity. Why?

I might be overly negative. If so it comes out of frustration, not trying to achieve anything. I just dont see what he offers to the team, being a hard worker simply isnt enough at this level. Certainly not enough to keep an Italian international on the bench.

I just want our best players to play and our not best players to not play.

however, if the not best players do play I want to see them do more than fall over and give the ball away.

perhaps I want too much.

see Murphy, Jacob and Krafth, Emil.

44 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

however, if the not best players do play I want to see them do more than fall over and give the ball away.

perhaps I want too much.

Then shouldn't you be aiming your frustration at Eddie, rather than the players? He's picking them.  

Edited by Weezertron

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

perhaps I want too much.

Not at all. However, my point remains that folk aren't achieving anything by going over the top in their criticism of Longstaff, and it is quite simply scapegoating and bullying when people do, because ratings of 1.63 on the BBC for example are entirely unjustified and people just being deliberately arsey.

4 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Didn’t John Carver say he wish he had 11 Jack Colbacks?

Having 11 Colbacks would be mint.  Means after you booted the first one into the sea you've still got 10 goes left.

Longstaff is not good enough to be in the first 11 for where we are and certainly not good enough for where we want to be. He's fine for now as a 5th/6th choice CM, but his limitations are frustrating. He also doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of stick he gets and his quotes about how it's difficult to hear/see some of the stuff about him is honestly sad. Boyhood dream to nightmare type stuff.

5 hours ago, Heron said:

Just giving him ratings of 2 and such like man, online and that. What a bunch of absolute fucking doylems.

I'm not saying people can't think he's not as good as Tonali, he's our weakest link, he's an average midfielder, aye - whatever, but at least be objective and fair about it. Not necessarily on this forum but social media and even in person - people at the games or watching in bars. He's just a scapegoat and an easy target. He clearly isn't the most confident of kids and he adores playing for his home, his city. What do people want?! It's not his fault he's picked and when he is picked he gives it his all and more. I'd have 11 Sean Longstaffs over 11 fucking Sissoko's every day of the week.

Absolute piss take.

He's our player, from our home.

People aren’t allowed to blame Howe, simply as that

7 hours ago, Heron said:

Not at all. However, my point remains that folk aren't achieving anything by going over the top in their criticism of Longstaff, and it is quite simply scapegoating and bullying when people do, because ratings of 1.63 on the BBC for example are entirely unjustified and people just being deliberately arsey.

I can’t speak for the people doing that 🤷🏽‍♂️

10 hours ago, TRon said:

Go back to the match thread, I basically said exactly the same during the match that yes he lost the ball outside their box, but the rest of the team had multiple opportunities to prevent their goal. Then a load of the usual fucking suspects, who apparently just want to live in a state of perpetual anger and misery, started kicking off. 

this place can be every bit as bad as Grand Old Team and by fuck do we love a scapegoat. It’s seemingly all the better if they’re a local lad too.

10 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Go back to the match thread, I basically said exactly the same during the match that yes he lost the ball outside their box, but the rest of the team had multiple opportunities to prevent their goal. Then a load of the usual fucking suspects, who apparently just want to live in a state of perpetual anger and misery, started kicking off. 

this place can be every bit as bad as Grand Old Team and by fuck do we love a scapegoat. It’s seemingly all the better if they’re a local lad too.

I said the same. Longstaff lost the ball or, alternatively, their player anticipated his pass and intercepted it just outside their box. Was still loads to do. 

It was a great counter attack but Burn was hopeless, Bruno running in treacle and Schar/Tino left scratching their heads. 

Longstaff's fault tho, apparently. 

Same match thread has people, who described him as "made of glass" now wanting LittleJ in ahead of BigJ who's now "technically limited" 

It's a forum, all about opinions. One can debate about how those opinions are articulated but some of them are wank.