Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I don’t particularly enjoy the pushed narrative lately of Longstaff v Tonali, the idea the performances of the side hinges on either playing one or the other and the general idea that Longstaff playing should be seen as something to fear in terms of the Atheltic article and what Eddie is thinking internally does nothing for me.

They both have a use.

8 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Didn’t we sub Tonali on in two of those games to go on and eventually win the game ?

Whatever narrative you want to follow.

The reality is both are (at least) decent and have their uses. Just folk don't like Longstaff and do like Tonali...

Madness when one played with an injury for us all season whilst the other couldn't play for being hooked on gambling.

I for one like both...but just saying...

Edited by Heron

On 18/10/2024 at 15:46, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Nah, he definitely says he was a really good manager and we wouldn’t be where we are now if he hadn’t kept us up. Unnecessary and weird. 

On the day Bruce had had some devastating news I wouldn't have expected Longstaff to be anything other than complimentary 

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Like there’s even a Tonali versus Longstaff debate man. Tonali is literally one of Italy’s best players. Longstaff is Longstaff. The radgies and lazy media like him, granted.

There is a debate because the results suggest we perform better with Longstaff starting.

As for the last sentence - what a weird remark.

Tonali is undoubtedly a better player but teams win games not individuals. Until we find the right balance of how to utilise Tonali and as a team we're maximising his potential then it is absolutely fair that folk ask what is going to continue to get us results.

Why would anyone dislike Sean Longstaff as a Newcastle supporter? A Geordie playing his heart our for his home town side. He may not be as good as Tonali but he is as inoffensive as can be. Peculiar crack.

Edited by Heron

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t dislike him, I posted earlier about how much I respect lots of things about him. But Tonali is 10 times the player and we look significantly better when he’s in. 

That's fair - we have played better in recent games, undoubtedly. However, we also haven't got results. So the tweet is valid in that it is asking the question whether as a team we're better off with Longstaff in the side based on how we play. Folk rushing to rubbish it is just bizarre. I don't really care who plays for Newcastle as long they're morally alreet and we're winning games. Folk rubbishing it without making any discussion about it are (in my eyes) saying the best players must play over Newcastle winning games - to some degree.

What I am saying is, we will be better once we find a system or way of playing or simply Tonali settles better into the existing system. But at present Longstaff isn't the massive problem folk perhaps make out.

Edited by Heron

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I just can’t see any reason that Longstaff playing would make us win more. Tonali is better at everything. 

There is something Longstaff does that allows Bruno to be more effective. That's the link.. get Tonali doing that and we'll improve no end.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

There is something Longstaff does that allows Bruno to be more effective. That's the link.. get Tonali doing that and we'll improve no end.

Not sure we have seen it for a while between Longstaff and Bruno mind.

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Like there’s even a Tonali versus Longstaff debate man. Tonali is literally one of Italy’s best players. Longstaff is Longstaff. The radgies and lazy media like him, granted.

That isn’t as impressive a feat as it would have been in, say 1994 or 2004.  Being one of Italy’s best players in 2024 …

Jury is very much out on Tonali for me.  Longstaff is a solid but bog standard PL midfielder.  Tonali is a very, very expensive midfielder who is really owes us a top season. 

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I just can’t see any reason that Longstaff playing would make us win more. Tonali is better at everything. 

According to Fotmob (which I am not sure how accurate it is as a data source):

Pass Accuracy:

SL 109 (86.5%)

ST 93 (81.6%)

Accurate Long Balls:

SL 2 (66.7%)

ST 1 (14.3%)

Tackles Won:

SL 9 (81.8%)

ST 5 (71.4%)

There are other stats which are in Tonali's favour - as you'd expect. Chance creation, shots on target for example.

However, perhaps ball retention is something Howe is looking at? Again - when watching - Tonali is clearly a better all rounder, but how they both link in with those around them and what results we get from it is more important than starting the best player.

For what it's worth - as per the Howe discussion - this conversation wouldn't be being had, had Gordon, Isak and even Lonfstaff taken their chances in the last 3. As we'd be third top.

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Heron said:

According to Fotmob (which I am not sure how accurate it is as a data source):

Pass Accuracy:

SL 109 (86.5%)

ST 93 (81.6%)

Accurate Long Balls:

SL 2 (66.7%)

ST 1 (14.3%)

Tackles Won:

SL 9 (81.8%)

ST 5 (71.4%)

There are other stats which are in Tonali's favour - as you'd expect. Chance creation, shots on target for example.

However, perhaps ball retention is something Howe is looking at? Again - when watching Tonali is clearly a better all rounder, but how they both link in with those around them and what results we get from it is more important than starting the best player.

For what it's worth - as per the Howe discussion - this conversation wouldn't be being had, had Gordon, Isak and even Lonfstaff taken their chances in the last 3. As we'd be third top.

The pass stats are misleading mind, not sure I’ve ever seen Longstaff try a creative pass. It’s usually sideways and backwards (not a criticism as it’s probably what he’s asked to do).

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

The pass stats are misleading mind, not sure I’ve ever seen Longstaff try a creative pass. It’s usually sideways and backwards (not a criticism as it’s probably what he’s asked to do).

With all due respect this is always an excuse that is immediately made.

We keep possession from a passing perspective with Longstaff in the side, based on data. That was the point I was making (which based on the data is accurate).

Chances created - Tonali is better - as outlined.

Folk seem to rush to Tonali's defence claiming "misleading data" because it suits their narrative that Tonali is better and Longstaff is the devil in disguise. I just don't get it, personally.