Who Will Become Our Next Great Home Produced Defender

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't get the Taylor hype myself. As far as I'm concerned, the thing with young, inexperienced players is that you put them in the team, they make mistakes, the learn from their mistakes, and become better players. If they don't learn from their mistakes, and keep on making them it makes me think that their learning curve is going to be pretty short. And Taylor, keeps on giving away stupid fouls and picking up stupid bookings. The 2nd yellow he got for the U21s against Germany was absolutely criminal - Diving in from behind 40 or 50 yards from goal when he's already on a yellow? Good grief. He's been around a little while now, and if he hasn't got it in his head that making a decision like that is probably not the thing to do I can't see him picking up much nous in his career and fulfulling his potential.

As for Ramage, not sure why so many people seem to have such a downer on him. I think he has looked pretty comfortable in the european games at centre back.

PS: Steve Howey!

Agreed that Ramage has looked much better at CB than anywhere else he's played. Agree about Taylor as well, tbh.

If all Taylor, Ramage and Hutington fulfill their potential than we will have one of the best central defender pair in the league, in the future.

ahahahahahahahahahahaaahahhahaaaa

Seriously, get a grip.  Taylor is no better than the utter mongs that fill our defence at the minute

Ramage has got zero ability, other than the ability to look like a gormless spastic with the pace of a snail

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alan Shearer 9

how the fuck Ramage got 11 votes is beyond me. The word "GREAT" is in the question. Everything about Ramage typifies SHITE. Shite is not great

I don't get the Taylor hype myself. As far as I'm concerned, the thing with young, inexperienced players is that you put them in the team, they make mistakes, the learn from their mistakes, and become better players. If they don't learn from their mistakes, and keep on making them it makes me think that their learning curve is going to be pretty short. And Taylor, keeps on giving away stupid fouls and picking up stupid bookings. The 2nd yellow he got for the U21s against Germany was absolutely criminal - Diving in from behind 40 or 50 yards from goal when he's already on a yellow? Good grief. He's been around a little while now, and if he hasn't got it in his head that making a decision like that is probably not the thing to do I can't see him picking up much nous in his career and fulfulling his potential.

As for Ramage, not sure why so many people seem to have such a downer on him. I think he has looked pretty comfortable in the european games at centre back.

:thup:

And that's why you won the "2006 Best non-NUFC poster" award - balanced, insightful, fair... and mentioning the one and only Steve Howey :D

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Ramage has done ok at centre half but what is classed as great ?

Great is Maldini. Great is Baresi. Great is Passarella. Great is not Peter Ramage.

So you're saying that Taylor makes as many mistakes now as when he first got into the Newcastle side?  Clearly he doesn't, he's improved considerably in that area.  Citing one stupid mistake that happened four months ago four England really doesn't prove much.  The likes of Tony Adams got sent off for stupid fouls now and then throughout there carears but I don't think you'd claim that Adams was a poor defender.

Yes Ramage has looked comfortable during our European games, but then so has the entire side (currently sitting 14th in the league), Titus Bramble has looked great in our European games FFS!  I think the problem a lot of people have with Ramage is that he rarely seems to do anything above average.  I'm not one to judge a player long term when the majority of his games have been out of position though so I'll give him a chance.  But still, if you want to talk about criminal lets talk about his own goal against Bolton "Pavs running towards me.. crap he's almost past me and I'm 5 yards from an open goal... *panic*... I know, I'll head the ball towards goal".

If all Taylor, Ramage and Hutington fulfill their potential than we will have one of the best central defender pair in the league, in the future.

ahahahahahahahahahahaaahahhahaaaa

Seriously, get a grip.  Taylor is no better than the utter mongs that fill our defence at the minute

Ramage has got zero ability, other than the ability to look like a gormless spastic with the pace of a snail

Mackem WUM alert!!!!!! No Geordie could possibly be that blind. Taylor looks class (ffs even J. Terry makes the foul/occaisonal slip), i'm very impressed by by Ramage in his preffered CB role alongside Taylor, Hunty and Edgar have caught the eye too now and i hope they come through too.

Don't even mention Terry and Taylor in the same breath you complete spacker.

Love the "OMG YOU CRITICISE YOUR OWN PLAYERS, MACKEM ALERT" attitude btw

How about if I say Ramage is class and Given is the best keeper the world has ever seen?  Do I qualify to post on here then?

So you're saying that Taylor makes as many mistakes now as when he first got into the Newcastle side?  Clearly he doesn't, he's improved considerably in that area.  Citing one stupid mistake that happened four months ago four England really doesn't prove much.  The likes of Tony Adams got sent off for stupid fouls now and then throughout there carears but I don't think you'd claim that Adams was a poor defender.

Yes Ramage has looked comfortable during our European games, but then so has the entire side (currently sitting 14th in the league), Titus Bramble has looked great in our European games FFS!  I think the problem a lot of people have with Ramage is that he rarely seems to do anything above average.  I'm not one to judge a player long term when the majority of his games have been out of position though so I'll give him a chance.  But still, if you want to talk about criminal lets talk about his own goal against Bolton "Pavs running towards me.. crap he's almost past me and I'm 5 yards from an open goal... *panic*... I know, I'll head the ball towards goal".

I posted that on December 15. On December 13th, you played Chelsea. I seem to remember reading that Taylor gave away a silly free kick near the end of that game, that Ramage got booked for?

The own goal was clearly Srnicek's fault. Ramage had an arm in his back, the ball was coming over his shoulder and the goalie had taken up a woeful position without shouting. Srnicek was under no pressure, could see everything - he made the wrong desicion.

PS: I'm not trying to make out Ramage is better than Taylor - he isn't. I just think one ain't as good as some would claim and one ain't as bad.

Steven Taylor for me is the one with the biggest talent. Like someone else said, it's up to him how far he goes because hes potentially great.

Ramage has been highley underestimated so far. Everytime i have seen him play he's been the leader at the back not taylor. I don't see Ramage as potentially great but i feel when he hit's 28-29 he could be a top performer like Southgate in his later years.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

anyone who thinks Ramage is a good player wants to be shot if they ever try and voice an opinion on football again.