The Injuries at NUFC

Guest GeordieAki

Good point well made, although if I was picky, Zoggy started this match, so you would have Joe Cole instead of sinclair starting and coming off at 40 minutes, and I reckon it would have been Wayne Bridge coming on.

Guest londonmaglad

I think that's a good point. We always seem to get injuries to key players. More than other teams? I don't know - but I certainly can't remember a season where we've had a season with 'minor' injuries to players only... ie. miss a game or two. We've always had seasons with key players out for months.

Guest OmahaNUFC

I'm not sure if they persist in football, as my football fandom is fairly new, but in baseball we have these things called curses.  My beloved Chicago Cubs have been under one for quite some time.

I'm not sure if they persist in football, as my football fandom is fairly new, but in baseball we have these things called curses.  My beloved Chicago Cubs have been under one for quite some time.

"There have been so many strange incidents that as a club you have no influence over. It must be a sort of curse on this club. Things are just slipping out of our hands," said boss Ruud Gullit.

"You can see it on the faces of the players. They feel that they are better than the results show, but all the time little accidents happen."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/246647.stm

This isn't a dig at Roeder, probably more at us (fans) if anything, but how come when Souness had a dreadful injury record, he got the blame, training is terrible blah blah, yet with Roeder it's a curse/bad luck etc? 

I'm just wondering, no particular "agenda" here before that pish starts.

This isn't a dig at Roeder, probably more at us (fans) if anything, but how come when Souness had a dreadful injury record, he got the blame, training is terrible blah blah, yet with Roeder it's a curse/bad luck etc? 

I suppose it's because some of our injuries are down to bad luck ie impact damage (NZog, Dyer, Bramble) or of a long term nature  (Ameobi, Owen).........plus there's a real variety there........my impression was that the majority of Souness's were similar types of soft tissue injuries (groin, hamstring, calf etc)

Guest nufc_geordie

The difference comes becasue most of the Souness injuries were muscle injuries, tears, strains, pulls caused on the training ground. That to me indicates poor training methods and techniques. Almost all of Roeders injuries have came on the field of play which the manager has no control over. e.g. last night the Zog over stretched in a tackle and damaged knee ligaments, ala Owen.

Guest GeordieDirk

It is mostly down to bad luck I think, it's hard to blame anything but muscle strains on bad warm up. No amount of warm up is going to stop a bad tackle snapping your ligaments.

To be honest though, the results we've had recently I'm not complaining that much. We have been playing better with some members *cough Carr cough* of the 'first team' out of the side.

Guest shaun11177

Someone mentioned Bolton,once saw a programme on their set up and they had a Head of Sports Science+13 medical staff of one type or another.It looked very up to date and scientific.

Our Medical dept is probably like our Scouting dept.i am sure Roeder would like to improve both but its finding the time.

Well Souness thought it was the training pitch, whereas Robson thought it was the lack of proper training facilities. I think Souness later said that the club was cursed.

I think our current crisis is down to two things: bad luck and injury-prone players. Dyer and Owen have always been prone to injury. Duff and Parker have both had injury problems themselves. Carr's been in and out since we've bought him and has never fully receovered from his injury problems. All players get injured, but some get injured more than others: we need to stop buying crocks, basically.

Just an interesting thought experiment that occured to me.

This is our injury list at the moment.

Harper (second choice keeper)

Krul (third choice keeper)

Moore (starting centerback)

Bramble (starting centerback)

Solano (starting rightback)

Carr (second-choice rightback)

Bernard (second choice leftback)

Parker (captain and starting central midfielder)

Emre (starting central midfielder)

Duff (starting left winger)

N'zogbia (second-choice left winger)

Dyer (starting central midfielder/striker/winger)

Owen (best striker)

Ameobi (3rd~4th choice striker)

If a similar thing happened to Chelsea, they would probably lose

Cudicini, Hilario, Terry, Carvalho, Boulahrouz, Geremi, Bridge, Lampard, Ballack, Robben, Joe Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Kalou

Which would probably leave them with the severely damaged (although admittedly still impressing) lineup of...

Cech

Ferreira Morais Essien Cole

Makelele Diara

Mikel Ballack

Shevchenko Sinclair

Not to imply that our players our analogous in quality to theirs, but this should give you an idea of what sort of injury situation we're in. Even the most ridiculously deep squad in the premiership would be hard-pressed to ride out this sort of crisis.

These are the conditions under which we played and fought well today. I suppose they deserve a round of applause, no?

theyre cloning players now? rich gits!

Well Souness thought it was the training pitch, whereas Robson thought it was the lack of proper training facilities. I think Souness later said that the club was cursed.

I think our current crisis is down to two things: bad luck and injury-prone players. Dyer and Owen have always been prone to injury. Duff and Parker have both had injury problems themselves. Carr's been in and out since we've bought him and has never fully receovered from his injury problems. All players get injured, but some get injured more than others: we need to stop buying crocks, basically.

Makes sense to me.  Maybe our eagerness to sign players makes us more tolerant of poor injury records?

I suppose it's because some of our injuries are down to bad luck ie impact damage (NZog, Dyer, Bramble) or of a long term nature  (Ameobi, Owen).........plus there's a real variety there........my impression was that the majority of Souness's were similar types of soft tissue injuries (groin, hamstring, calf etc)

Bet most couldn't have come up with that answer, but cheers. :D

Guest toon tone rudeboy

I suppose it's because some of our injuries are down to bad luck ie impact damage (NZog, Dyer, Bramble) or of a long term nature (Ameobi, Owen).........plus there's a real variety there........my impression was that the majority of Souness's were similar types of soft tissue injuries (groin, hamstring, calf etc)

Freak injuries have been a lot higher this season as well.  Dyer for example:  gash in the leg, eye... not your ordinary injuries.  Another difference that I have seen between our current injuries and those of the Souness era are the number of injuries that occurred in training... Roeder mentioned after the game yesterday how it would seem we can't get through a game without picking up an injury.

beware the billygoat!    :winking:

:hmm:

Bramble - (in game vs Frankfurt)

Dyer - (in game vs Portsmouth)

Harper - Hernia

Parker - (in game vs Portsmouth)

Duff - knee op, a few historical knee problems

Moore - (in game vs Arsenal)

Bernard - arrived at the club as a dead horse

Krul - (pre-game vs Watford)

Carr - (in game vs Man city)

Ameobi - long term hip problem that is brought about by a condition you are very unlikely to have at his age.

Owen - (in game vs Sweden)

Emre - (in game vs Blackburn)

Butt - cold

Solano - (in game vs Blackburn)

Sibierski - achilles (in game vs Chelsea)

N'Zogbia - medial ligaments (in game vs Chelsea)

11 injuries are in games, knocks that have been taken.

Of our injured players, we have a team good enough to easily finish top 5/6. Scary the current injury situation.

And to be honest we could drop at least one off the bench (Carr perhaps) and be even better still.

I know Bernard is close to retiring, I'm just trying to make a point.

Steve Harper

Nolberto Solano      Titus Bramble      Craig Moore      Olivier Bernard

Kieron Dyer            Scott Parker              Emre          Charles N'Zogbia

Michael Owen                    Shola Ameobi

Bench

Tim Krul, Damien Duff, Stephen Carr, Antoine Sibierski

We don't need new signings, we need new physios and coaches, something is obvisously not being done correctly.