Newcastle 2 - 1 Watford - Post match thread

Dave

Guest TheOrder

nobody stood out today. Why change the formation to fit players into it. The diamond formation is a waste of space. Watford played a deep line which is why we struggled. Our pace could not be occupied in the space needed.

All the game needed was Luque. He would of scored a hatful imo.

nobody stood out today. Why change the formation to fit players into it. The diamond formation is a waste of space. Watford played a deep line which is why we struggled. Our pace could not be occupied in the space needed.

Most people seem to thing Taylor was excellent today.

Guest TheOrder

Totally agree. Not the best but knows where to be at the right time.As he has proved in the Uefa Cuop.

Oh my, my idiotic sarcasm was bypassed!

Guest KeithKettleborough

Most people seem to thing Taylor was excellent today.

He had a canny game really. Looked in trouble when a player tried to take him on in the penalty area, which has been the same in past games too. Apart from that, great.

Guest Hibbits left foot

Result was all important we aint ripping up trees performance wise but ill settle for mid table security after the abysmal start we had

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Result was all important we aint ripping up trees performance wise but ill settle for mid table security after the abysmal start we had

I wont and we shouldnt with the player material we have got. A few defenders in the january and we are cruising up in the tabel :)

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

any word on Emre? listening to the commentary, he went off injured during the game?

didnt look that bad. He was more anry than in pain ;) First I was sure he was faking the injurie, because the ref didnt give him the freekick.....

Never seen so many balls kicked out of play by accident by both teams in my life.  They had nothing about them, but big shitzu was effective and im suprised they dont score more from corners the way they block the gk.

Not a good performance, but promising that we're winning those games now.

Bit of a mixed bag, wasn't a particularly good performance and if Watford, and in particular Henderson could finish, we'd probably have been buried, but a win's a win and it was good to see us not collapse after they scored and immediately concede another as we had against Bolton, Fulham and Reading.

Huntington was poor distribution-wise but defended ok, Taylor was outstanding, Martins is shit-hot, The Sib had probably his poorest game for us, Dyer was a shadow of what we saw against Pompey and Arsenal, Milner provided another peach of a cross but will get slagged to fuck because he didn't put an inch-perfect one in after that and Butt was quality again.

Here's what I saw:

Given 7 - His usual self in general. However, after an improvement in distribution lately, he put the ball out too often for me. I like him as captain for now, as none of our outfield players deserve that role. Possibly Butt, but we all know he will be dropped soon for Parker.

Hunty 8 - A bit on the high side, but that's to encourage him if he reads this forum  tongue.gif Was very decent today, and any errors he made were not fundamental, but could easily be down to home debut nerves. Love the look of him already. Will be a tremendous defender someday.

Babayaro ? - Can't mark this fucker, and I'll tell you why!! He was SO BAD at times, that he'd normally get a 3 or 4. However, the good things he did were extremely vital for the win. Some excellent blocks, last ditch clearances, and powerful headers, which saved a situation or two. Extremely inconsistent, and his fullback play is shit. His defending as pure defending isn't bad though.

Ramage 7 - Steady all the way. Gritty and with time, attackers won't like playing against him, especially if he fills out in build and adds some maturity to his physical play. Never say die. All you could ask from a decent defender with little ball skills.

Taylor 9 - Simply outstanding. The first time I agree with the MOM announced on the SJP tannoy in a long long time. As the commentator said during the game, Taylor loves to defend. His best quality IMO.

Dyer 6 - Bar the first few minutes, he wasn't in the game at all. I'm not worried though.

Butt 7 - Below par distribution this game. We've seen better in terms of his passing. Gave the ball away a few times. Didn't put a foot wrong anywhere else though. Tackled, harried, blocked, rushed their players, organised our own, wanted to win the game. Purely on performances, he should be our captain on the pitch.

Milner 7 - I thought his set pieces and crossing were excellent today. Delivered everything with pace, spin, and into dangerous areas. Both feet as well. You tend to forget how young he still is. Usual ineffective running yet battling performance on the wing.

Emre 8 - Growing in stature with every game. Did well despite not being suited to the diamond formation. Needs to be with Butt in the center end of. Hope the injury isn't too bad.

Martins 8 - Very good performance yet again. Exremely dangerous. The kind of player that will make defences nervous before playing us, which gives us a slight advantage in the opening minutes of games against weaker opposition. We should capitalise on defenders giving him too much respect.

Sib 7 - Worked his socks off. Again, intelligent and composed. Needs a rest imo.

Subs:

Parker 5 - Only had time for one good tackle, and a few  trips into no man's land, allowing their midfield to push on. As lightweight as our midfield was, it got even lighter when he came on. A reassessment of his role in the team is vital as he is a good footballer who is lost at the moment.

Duff 6 - I was screaming for him to get on the wing and on the ball. The one time he did, we scored. Apart from that, nowt else. I'd be happy if he defended well, and made one or two telling runs from which we ended up scoring. At the moment, he looks to offer nothing else.

I think Pearson's influence is telling on the defence. They keep a much better line when playing for offside, and the communication looks better. Taylor's starting to use his strength more.

Of our three young defenders, Huntington may turn out to be the best of the lot.

I don't think Roeder should be criticised for the selection and the formation, because there weren't many alternatives available with all the injuries. I think Dyer's at his best when given a free role behind a striker. It's hard on Sibierski, but I think Martins and Dyer look our best partnership.

Given 7 - His usual self in general. However, after an improvement in distribution lately, he put the ball out too often for me. I like him as captain for now, as none of our outfield players deserve that role. Possibly Butt, but we all know he will be dropped soon for Parker.

Just a comment on this, I have to say this was possibly Givens worst game in a very long time. His distribution was awful yesterday, he didn't seem to be looking for the quick throw out or keeping the ball on the floor he was constantly launching the ball up field to give the ball away or putting it out of play. At one point Ramage even took the goal kick cause Given was taking so long.

He failed to come off his line at some balls which really should have been his and a couple of his punches over the top of defenders were simply stupid.

I have no doubts he'll get it sorted again for the next match but his kicking has been terrible for the last 2-3 games so hopefiully he can get back into the good kicking standard we're used to and not heading back to the old days of Given when he lost so much confidence because of his poor distribution (I think Wilkinson taught him how to kick again after the rugby world cup or something daft like that).

Given's kicking was horrible...I lost count of how many times he kicked the ball out of play from the goal line...Losing position of the ball like that is pure waste and should do somethin about this....

Given: 6 - Not bad, needs to communicate with his defence better.

Huntington: 5 - Predominantly acceptable, but occasionally caught out.

Taylor: 7 - Fine performance, remains our best defender.

Ramage: 5 - Average game - some good, some bad.

Babayano: 3 - Out of position umpteen times, not watcing the bal OR his man repeatedly. A disgrace to the side.

Milner: 6 - Struggled to get into the game at times, but he's a grafter once he does.

Butt: 7 - should never be allowed to pass the ball over 5 yards ever again. Good defensive work though.

Emre: 7 - good game, doesn't always react well to being tackled.

Dyer: 4 - clearly not match fit. Bursts of pace, but little end product. Out of position an incredible amount of the game.

Martins: 7 - Nicley taken goals, but lost the ball a lot. Very poor response to being tackled, nearly every time.

Sibiersky: 4 - Poor. More than the journeyman pro many felt at first, but not much more.