Teams that can’t finish above us (2023/24)

Sima

Just now, Stifler said:

Yeah, but I want European football now. So fight is not over.

Just got to hope that we cling on to it.

Yep me too. 5th still just alive, 6 is in our hands. All to play for and an exciting end to the season!

Start of the season I said I’d be happy with 6th-7th because of CL, and the fact that we wouldn’t have the squad to compete across four competitions.

Then we lose Tonali and 1300 days through injuries. To still be 6th and potentially able to get 5th after this injury battered season is a phenomenal achievement in my eyes. 

1 minute ago, Lish007 said:

Yep me too. 5th still just alive, 6 is in our hands. All to play for and an exciting end to the season!

5th is over. Spurs will get 6 points from Burnley, and Sheffield United.

I actually think I would prefer the UEFA Conference League in anyway. 

45 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Same, much easier to play 8-10 games at 70/80% than 6-8 games at 100% 

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

I think the fat the lads have stuck in when they could have took the piss during a bit of a rough spell we had the other month is the biggest positive.

We’re so close to worst case being Europa Conference and like you say, that could be a blessing as far as a deep European run as well as tackling getting top 4 again.

6 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

I think the fat the lads have stuck in when they could have took the piss during a bit of a rough spell we had the other month is the biggest positive.

We’re so close to worst case being Europa Conference and like you say, that could be a blessing as far as a deep European run as well as tackling getting top 4 again.

Aye, could honestly just do with Chelsea pissing off like, not like their fans would appreciate a European run that isn’t the Champions League.

Chelsea suddenly not being utterly awful is a real pain in the arse. Feels like last season again, when Liverpool were up our arse. We did it then, so let's do it again.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Lowest we can finish now is 9th, although that would require such an unrealistic swing in goal difference from Brighton (-4) to us (+22).

So the lowest we can finish now is 8th.

My prediction at the beginning of the season was 9th, so I think it's a really good achievement to guarantee beating that. 

When we were in that dodgy spell over winter, it was always a case of: if we can just stay within touching distance of the European places - the kinder run-in will give us a fighting chance. We managed that; wins like Fulham (h) and Forest (a) were crucial and well-timed; drop points in them and we're really looking over our shoulder. Rescuing points from Luton (h) and Bournemouth (h) was vital too. 

It's been such a mammoth season but we've done really well to enable an "and it all comes down to this..." scenario from our final week.

Top 8 is incredible for the seasons setbacks. Had probably 3 seasons worth of shite rolled into one. Let's hope that means the next 2 are kinder.

Still gutted about he no show against palace. If we'd have won that I firmly believe we'd have finished 5th. 

Anyway, happy enough. Hope the star players reflect on the tough season and believe in the future.