The other games today 2019/20

Greg

VAR is supposed to be used for "clear and obvious" errors. Given the awkward angle, they've taken a punt that he's offside and ruled it out. It's a misuse of VAR.

Not for offsides it isn’t.

I think if you're guessing then you should let the goal stand. Given the camera angle, camera distortion and the extremely fine margins, there's no way they can definitively call that offside.

Could a linesman see he's 1mm offside no, so it shouldn't be overturned.

But the law means these decisions have to be right. There's no grey area.

Other countries with VAR aren't going to this length though in checking this closely from what I've seen.  The law needs changing but the PL are making a ridiculous hash of it, just like they aren't intervening enough when there's blatant pens etc.

But this is a blatant offside according to the rules whether it's just offside or miles offside. Penalties and fouls, there's still that element of interpretation (even if the Lascelles one last week and on Kane recently looked like pens to me)

Blatant :lol:

Technology showed it’s offside. The referee can’t view that then say, nah, I’m ignoring that.

How did technology show it was offside? It was a bloke drawing (very thick) lines on a paused frame. It's not AI.

Could a linesman see he's 1mm offside no, so it shouldn't be overturned.

But the law means these decisions have to be right. There's no grey area.

Other countries with VAR aren't going to this length though in checking this closely from what I've seen.  The law needs changing but the PL are making a ridiculous hash of it, just like they aren't intervening enough when there's blatant pens etc.

But this is a blatant offside according to the rules whether it's just offside or miles offside. Penalties and fouls, there's still that element of interpretation (even if the Lascelles one last week and on Kane recently looked like pens to me)

Blatant :lol:

Technology showed it’s offside. The referee can’t view that then say, nah, I’m ignoring that.

How did technology show it was offside? It was a bloke drawing (very thick) lines on a paused frame. It's not AI.

More often than not they’ll get it right though using that system, though. It’s not like the Carabao Cup farce last season with the wonky lines. If FIFA or UEFA are going to be so anal with the offside law, VAR will be anal when it comes to carrying out that law.

Guest neesy111

Back to the game though, Leicester are fucking good. On a par with everything outside of the top 2 imo.

Don't think they are great defensively.

Guest neesy111

Back to the game though, Leicester are fucking good. On a par with everything outside of the top 2 imo.

Don't think they are great defensively.

Not sure Spurs, Arsenal, etc are too tbf.

True.

I’m assuming the line is automatic.

It's not though.

That’s weird, are you sure?

Assumed the software would draw a line on the back of the defenders. Ah well, anyway, if you’re going to use it for offside then a line is going to have to be drawn. Which will lead to loads of ‘mm offside’ type decisions. 

Guest neesy111

It's not though.

Assumed the software would draw a line on the back of the defenders. Ah well, anyway, if you’re going to use it for offside then a line is going to have to be drawn. Which will lead to loads of ‘mm offside’ type decisions. 

Also the operator has to decide on the frame to stop it at.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watched some of the Leicester game, they are looking good. Spurs don’t seem upto scratch at all like they usually are/used to be. That VAR offside goal is a joke, fannies hair in it. Ridiculous!

It's not though.

The TV shows them trying to line it up with shoulder/knee/armpit. As neesy says, it's also dependent on the frame. It's guesswork basically.