The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Tbf, man utd created almost nothing after that crazy 10 minute spell where they should've scored at least twice.

exactly what the momentum is not a tactic thing is about, when that front 5/6 get going it's something to behold but they need to be much more savvy as a team obviously - last ditch defending masterclasses from european teams and nicking games is a tale as old as time

Looked easy but that De Jong goal is a fantastic finish

Fantastic ???

Fantastic is a bit of a stretch I guess but bounced about a yard in front of him on a greasy pitch at considerable pace. One of those that an amateur isn't connecting with like that

We seriously lack depth which is a major issue. Ole doesn't trust the players on the bench and rightly so to be honest. It's a big reason why we need players like Sancho. It would have been Greenwood or Rashford coming off the bench last night rather than Daniel James.

The first 11 is very strong now, but we still need more signings to compete with the elite in the long run.

James seems to have faded badly after a decent start.

Not convinced he's got the quality to be at Man Utd in the long term

He's pretty much useless unless we're playing on the counter. Since Bruno has come in and we've a bit more about us he's really ineffective. Ideally he'd go out on loan next season but if we don't sign anyone he'll be the 4th choice forward.

Great attitude and he helps a lot defensively but he's nowhere near good enough at the minute.

He hardly ever really plays Rodri  and Gundogan together. He usually plays one of them sitting (Or Fernandinho) with DeBruyne and David Silva in central midfield alongside. Only did it yesterday because he was seemingly nervous.

Unbelievable that he started the game with Both Silvas, Foden and Mahrez on the bench. Pep pretty much bottled it.

Went too defensive with Fernandinho, Rodri and Gundogan starting.

He's played them together 24 teams this season prior. What are you talking about? He starts them in a lot of the big games together - Real Madrid, this game, Liverpool. The one he didn't against Arsenal - they lost.

There's a good article in the Athletic about it a few days ago.

It all stems from poor recruitment. No proper replacements for Fernandinho, Kompany & Silva.

I hate how he never gets called out for his transfer record Pep has done superb at city no doubt but he didn't buy the core of city or barca/ munich he only goes so far to clubs already succesful and bags of cash

This is a good point.

The core of the great City team was already there. Kompany, Fernandinho, Sterling, KDB, Sane, Aguero. He's added Ederson and Laporte to that list. He hasn't brought any players through either.

A city friend of mine said the logical conclusion of a Pep team is loads of technical CMs and that he had the perfect ones at Barcelona to make it work. But it's the first great side at Barca that he built that is more replicable - Henry, Eto'o, Yaya etc.

But the City leadership also take responsibility. Didn't even try to replace their best ever CB.

Pep takes some responsibility in getting in Rodri. Too slow on the ball and too slow in general. Too much focus on height and technique. Needed a more dynamic player.

Everyone is responsible for not replacing Silva. Pep rarely plays Bernardo or Foden there

Even Mahrez wasn't the right signing. Another one that wants it to feet.

Man U seemed to lack nous in the final third.

Rashford I still find a very frustrating player. Often seems to hang on to the ball too long, or try to beat players when it's not on. I know he's young, but he seems to be on a very slow learning curve. Greenwood will overtake him, if he hasn't done so already.

Rashford has been very poor since the re-start. Needs a break.

Incredible that we didn't win last night. :lol: Sevilla extremely fortunate and weren't very good at all. Inter will dispatch them quite easily if they can be arsed in the final.

Would have been devastating if we hadn't already finished third and qualified for the CL. The Europa League unfortunately is only important for that reason.

saw quite a good sub headline this morning that summed up the game (i saw) for me, it was along the lines of "momentum is not a tactic"

also i found it interesting; switched on start of 2nd half and the weird thing about that 10 minute period where you were all over them was how exposed you were and how they failed to exploit it, better teams would have cut you to shreds as you were basically playing 4-1-5 and the space in between was unreal

Fatigue is a huge issue in these European games. Sevilla subs seemed to be "take off the most knackered players" and those fresher legs won them the game. Ocampos looked tired from minute 1. Whenever he fell to the ground, he stayed down for awhile - knackered (and possibly carrying an injury). They say back, somehow got through the first 10 minutes of the half and the fresher legs and minds won it. Man Utd emptied the tank in that burst and Ole refused to freshen it up earlier.

Wan-Bisska looked knackered from minute 1. Rashford off pace all game.

I think Man Utd. have an old school approach to attack. Get loads of good attacking players on and let them work their magic. Martial, Pogba and Bruno are excellent around the edge of the box and they just do what they do, probably get a foul somewhere. But not a defined pattern of play. Unlike that first Sevilla goal - that looked like a Sevilla goal based on the system, tactics and players. It was risky but they looked to do that time and time again. Man U just freestyle it.

Playing first is a big advantage as well. English, Spanish and Italian sides have looked knackered.

Banega was excellent. As was Pogba.

He hardly ever really plays Rodri  and Gundogan together. He usually plays one of them sitting (Or Fernandinho) with DeBruyne and David Silva in central midfield alongside. Only did it yesterday because he was seemingly nervous.

Unbelievable that he started the game with Both Silvas, Foden and Mahrez on the bench. Pep pretty much bottled it.

He's played them together 24 teams this season prior. What are you talking about? He starts them in a lot of the big games together - Real Madrid, this game, Liverpool. The one he didn't against Arsenal - they lost.

It all stems from poor recruitment. No proper replacements for Fernandinho, Kompany & Silva.

Interesting, appears I had that wrong then. Ultimately their midfield 3 look their best with one of Fernandinho, Rodri or Gundogan holding and DeBruyne and David Silva with more attacking responsibilities.

I had presumed Bernardo Silva was going to pick up David Silva's role through the middle as he got phased out, but Gundogan seems to be getting more of a nod there and he's nowhere near as dangerous going forward.

Interesting, appears I had that wrong then. Ultimately their midfield 3 look their best with one of Fernandinho, Rodri or Gundogan holding and DeBruyne and David Silva with more attacking responsibilities.

I had presumed Bernardo Silva was going to pick up David Silva's role through the middle as he got phased out, but Gundogan seems to be getting more of a nod there and he's nowhere near as dangerous going forward.

You say that, they did that at Arsenal in the semi’s and got well beaten. Olympiakos beat Arsenal in Europe.

Pep is used to winning 88% of matches. This season that’s been much lower. So he doesn’t trust his best side.  Or thinks his best side includes Gundagan and Rodri.

Their best results this year has them both starting Real, Man U in the league cup and Liverpool. 

That’s a long way from the team that beat Liverpool 2–1 that ultimately decided the title. 

Laporte at left back and Danilo at RB, Kompany and Stones (who Pep is done with). Bernardo Fernandinho Silva (2 of the legs have gone, the others been poor since the racismo trouble). Sane and Sterling upfront. They win it with a ball in behind and a pacy attacker finishing it. 

Imo a bigger issue than the tactics is that he hasn’t improved many players. Players of the year for him gotta be KDB 1, Sterling 2. Nobody else had a great season. Not signed by him. Over the same period Liverpool have bought all of their star players or developed them

Not many better out and out centre-forwards than Lukaku like.

I'm a big fan man.

He just isn't one to play in teams that want to play a more cute style.

Love him in more direct attacking teams.

Incredible that we didn't win last night. :lol: Sevilla extremely fortunate and weren't very good at all. Inter will dispatch them quite easily if they can be arsed in the final.

Would have been devastating if we hadn't already finished third and qualified for the CL. The Europa League unfortunately is only important for that reason.

not sure if you're just saying that because yous got knocked but thats an unfortunate/arrogant attitude to take about a competition you've entered. its obviously about money for man utd, and not winning trophies.

it's not even as if you guys have been spoilt for trophies over recent years.

i'd kill just for a bloody carabou cup.

not sure if you're just saying that because yous got knocked but thats an unfortunate/arrogant attitude to take about a competition you've entered. its obviously about money for man utd, and not winning trophies.

it's not even as if you guys have been spoilt for trophies over recent years.

i'd kill just for a bloody carabou cup.

I said the same thing when we won it 3 years ago. It was completely unimportant for years until they made the winners qualify for the CL. It's just the fact of the matter for the bigger clubs. Make no mistake you still want to win it, as it's still a trophy, but the goal is Champions League football.

You'd kill for a league cup now but if the takeover happened and you were sitting with a world class squad a league cup would be of no interest to you. You want the league and the Champions League. That should be the goal.

Giving the winners of it a CL place was the nail in the coffin regarding any respectability it had as a competition. Dropping CL teams in halfway through, changing to the current awful name, and expanding the CL were all steps towards this ultimate demise.

The UEFA Cup used to be a fantastic competition.