Mourinho makes apology to Johnson

Rob W

Mourinho makes apology to Johnson

Jose Mourinho (right) was critical of Everton's Andy Johnson

Mourinho has changed his mind after viewing the incident on video

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has apologised for comments he made about Everton striker Andrew Johnson after Sunday's 3-2 victory at Goodison Park.

Mourinho claimed Johnson had dived to win a penalty and Everton responded by saying they would make an official complaint to the Football Association.

"Everton, his manager and he deserve my apologies," said Mourinho.

Everton chief executive Keith Wyness added: "Common sense has prevailed and this is an end to the matter."

606 DEBATE: Your reaction to Mourinho's apology

Everton initially said they were taking legal advice because the remarks questioned Johnson's "professionalism and integrity".

The incident occurred when Johnson went down after challenging Chelsea keeper Hilario for the ball.

Mourinho said that he had now watched the incident again on video and had a different view of it.

The relationship between ourselves and Chelsea has always been admirable and that, I feel certain, will continue

Everton chief executive Keith Wyness

"First I would like to say I have the utmost respect for Everton Football Club, David Moyes and their players," he stated.

"That's why I love to play them and especially at Goodison Park, where the atmosphere is magnificent.

"Secondly, after the match I was clear and said Andy Johnson is a great player and I never used aggressive words, like some managers did against my players in previous seasons, or like some others recently said about him and Ronaldo.

"I never used the word 'cheat'.

"After seeing it again on the video, [referee] Mr Halsey did wonderful work and both decisions for penalties were correct.

"Did Andy Johnson try to avoid a collision with my goalkeeper? It seems now the answer to that is yes, so Everton, his manager and he deserve my apologies."

As well as calling for an end to the matter, Everton chief executive Wyness said: "The relationship between ourselves and Chelsea has always been admirable and that, I feel certain, will continue."

Questionable whether he 'means' it... but he's come out and done the right thing.

Well done, Jose.

He didn't need to appologise, he spoke his true opinion and wasn't afraid to hold back which i respect. Nobody can argue Johnson dives regularly and he did in the chelsea game so i think Jose has the right to speak up about it.

Guest optimistic nit

might be pedantic of me, but is saying someone "deserves your apologies" the same as saying, "i apologise for what i said."?

yes.

Guest NSMagpie

might be pedantic of me, but is saying someone "deserves your apologies" the same as saying, "i apologise for what i said."?

Right question.

Definitely not. Like the diference between saying "You deserve love", and "I love you" to a woman.

Guest Invicta_Toon

even while 'unreservedly apologising' the sanctimonious portugese fucknut still finds the time to have a dig at other managers and defend the chelsea rent boys

I love Mourinho, he's a bit of a T*** but he winds people up so much its great.

I agree and think how boring this league would be without him.  I mean that from a standpoint of

listening to Fergie and Wenger going off all the time.  Jose wasn't intimidated by them when he came

here and that makes a great manager/leader.