Shearer Statue?

LoveItIfWeBeatU

When he's dead that might be a good idea, but until then it's just sad.

I take your point but Bobby's got one at Ipswich and he's not dead. I'm not desperate for the statue, it's just that a big deal was made out of it and then nothing has happened. Maybe Alan didn't want the statue but he seemed to think it was an honor when it was first mentioned. There may be a perfectly innocent and reasonable reason why it hasn't been made yet but I just wondered.

Guest Invicta_Toon

perhaps shearer himself put the mockers on it?

If I was a sheet metal workers son from Gosforth I would find the whole thing a bit crass and embarrassing

plus, he probably doesn't fancy the image of it being dashed with paint when he gets us relegated in 2010

I take your point but Bobby's got one at Ipswich and he's not dead. I'm not desperate for the statue, it's just that a big deal was made out of it and then nothing has happened. Maybe Alan didn't want the statue but he seemed to think it was an honor when it was first mentioned. There may be a perfectly innocent and reasonable reason why it hasn't been made yet but I just wondered.

Aye but Bobby is an 80 year old man, with all respect to him he could die anytime really.

Shearer is 36/7, only half way through his life. He deserves a statue or something for his achievement, but not now. I think Shepherd got abit caught up with Shearer Fever in May and spoke before he thought. (as usual)

He's unlikely to be the Ipswich manager again though. Shearer could easily be a future Toon manager.

Guest smoggeordie

As Crumpy would say, we saw it on the pitch for the last two seasons.

The guy who was never outscored by any striking partner at this club, even in those last two years?

That's because he didn't have a good partner for the last two years.

I do agree the man is an absolute legend, but you cannot deny that for the last two or so seasons his performance levels were substandard a lot of the time.

The guy who was never outscored by any striking partner at this club, even in those last two years?

I do agree the man is an absolute legend, but you cannot deny that for the last two or so seasons his performance levels were substandard a lot of the time.

Michael Owen not a good partner?  :wink:

IMO, the team didn't play to Shearer's strengths enough in the last few years and that's why he looked ineffective a lot of the time.  I honestly don't think of his performances as a disgrace though.  He always gave his all.

Guest smoggeordie

IMO, the team didn't play to Shearer's strengths enough in the last few years and that's why he looked ineffective a lot of the time.  I honestly don't think of his performances as a disgrace though.  He always gave his all.

Owen only played 10 games, not enough to outscore Shearer over 40 odd.

Owen only played 10 games, not enough to outscore Shearer over 40 odd.

Hence, the wink.

Guest Armchair Pundit

I think there's too many people who support this club that slag Shearer off for no good reason. Wihout him we'd have done a hell of a lot worse than we did, a statue won't happen because for some bizarre reason there's a portion of ungrateful Newcastle fans who don't like the man who was perhaps this clubs greatest ever player. Can't understand it myself.  bluesigh.gif

He's unlikely to be the Ipswich manager again though. Shearer could easily be a future Toon manager.

Exactly. Was this Iraq 2003, or St James' 2010 after Shearer's steered us to relegation?

http://media.consumercide.com/squarelie.jpg

Guest smoggeordie

Exactly. Was this Iraq 2003, or St James' 2010 after Shearer's steered us to relegation?

http://media.consumercide.com/squarelie.jpg

Iraq 2003 mate.

Guest Gemmill

I just really don't see the need for a statue at the minute tbh.  Maybe in 20 years time or something like that it would be a nice gesture, but right now it's daftness.  We're talking about a bloke that might very well be manager of the club within the next 5 years taking the job on with a statue  of him already stood outside the ground.  Jesus wept.

Nowt to do with not liking Shearer btw, I think he was fantastic for us and it was a pleasure to watch him, but I just don't see the need to be rushing to build a statue to him.

Guest Invicta_Toon

1. When did he have the same partner for a season?

2. Did you subtract penalties?