Best Opposing Player You've seen @ St James' Park

Minhosa

Ok, you can name one player and one player only.

Who is the best player you've seen at St James' not wearing a home strip?

For me, it was Tony Adams about 2 years before he retired. He put on an absolute masterclass in defending and reading the game.  :thup:

I was also really impressed by Sol Campbell playing for Spurs in his final year before leaving for Arsenal. Fucking man mountain at the back for Spurs.

Another player on my shortlist was Scholes who never seems to have a bad game at our place.

Anyway, as we're only allowed one, its got to be Tony Adams for me.

You?

Funnily enough, probably Kluivert the two times we played them in 2002-3. He just oozed class those two evenings.

Yeah, its a shame about the timing of Kluiverts move to us really. The cross over with Shearers impending retirement/desire to get the goalscoring record and the sacking of SBR only for the daft jock to come in all went against him to be honest.

He did, on occasion, show some glimpses of the real Kluivert and the player we all hoped he would be.

Having said that, I'm surprised he's not done more since leaving us.

Undoubtedly a waste of talent.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

The best performance by an opposing player I've seen was the one by Gravesen a few years back where he scored and ran the show for the whole match, even though we still managed to win.

The best performance by an opposing player I've seen was the one by Gravesen a few years back where he scored and ran the show for the whole match, even though we still managed to win.

Aye, I remember that TKON. Any idea how he's doing for Celtic?

Funnily enough, probably Kluivert the two times we played them in 2002-3. He just oozed class those two evenings.

Yeah, its a shame about the timing of Kluiverts move to us really. The cross over with Shearers impending retirement/desire to get the goalscoring record and the sacking of SBR only for the daft jock to come in all went against him to be honest.

He did, on occasion, show some glimpses of the real Kluivert and the player we all hoped he would be.

Still scored around 14-15 goals as well. Imagine what a fully-fit Kluivert would have done?

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Standing ovation for him as well

Class little player

It was nice for him to be part of the World Cup winning side this year I thought. A player who has stuck with (largely) one club throughout his career and given his all for the national side, with that much talent, and opportunity deserves a bit of luck.

I dunno why but I always had a feeling he would sign for us one day, especially during the Keegan era. Funny.

Still scored around 14-15 goals as well. Imagine what a fully-fit Kluivert would have done?

Agreed. He was one of those players who needed a brave manager if you know what I mean? He needed a Manager to change the shape of the side, to make him the main-man, to publically support him and big him up.

We let him down on that front IMO. Partly due to the Shearer effect and the timing of his signing.

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Class little player

It was nice for him to be part of the World Cup winning side this year I thought. A player who has stuck with (largely) one club throughout his career and given his all for the national side, with that much talent, and opportunity deserves a bit of luck.

I dunno why but I always had a feeling he would sign for us one day, especially during the Keegan era. Funny.

So did I, one of my fav players of all time, the Italian Beardsley, i'd still take him now, could do a job like Zola did at Chelsea.

Nedved's performance in our 1-0 win at SJP. Even though they didn't win, he was simply awesome that night.

NSG - I'd forgot about that mate. Yeah, he was fucking awesome that night.

Another player who would really grace the Premiership.

Not many people notice this about Nedved but he's a hard little fucker. He gets kicked through a load of matches without reacting.

At Goodison probably Riquelme

UNBELIEVABLE how much he was sold for from Barca isn't it?

I can understand how someone with natural ability just doesn't fit into a side or just generally fit into a club but HOW can you let someone that good go on the cheap? Its defies logic.

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Class little player

So did I, one of my fav players of all time, the Italian Beardsley, i'd still take him now, could do a job like Zola did at Chelsea.

I'm sure we were linked with him quite a bit during Keegans era in the press. It would be really interesting to know if they actually made a move for him.

I'm not sure how he would cope with the pace and physical nature of the Premiership at this stage of his career but, most people would probably take a chance on him if he was cheap/Bosman, thats for sure.

Best performance: Schmeichel vs. us in that match.  :(

Good shout.

Yeah, it is a good shout. I had a few players in mind when I posted this topic but I'd forgot about Schmeichal.

I did think that Cantona would have been posted by someone though.

Best performance: Schmeichal vs. us in that match.  :(

Which one, the 0-1 when Tino bombarded him with shot after shot?

Aye, saved a lot of Ferdinand's shots though (played through by Tino) iirc. Had it been the other way round things might have been very different. I love Sir Les but he wasn't the greatest one on one with the keeper whereas Tino really could finish.

Yhis is going back a long time, but - Jan Mulder, the Dutch CF who played for Anderlecht in 1970.

We had won the Fairs Cup the previous season, and were defebding the trophy. We lost 2-0 to Anderlecht

in Belgium, but in the return at SJP, we pounded them for most of the game and went 3-0 up with 5 mins left. The atmosphere was unbelieveable, with 60,000 in the ground and the noise being heard over the river. However, whenever Mulder got the ball , he was really dangerous and had our defence(which was a strong one at the time)in constant panic.

He set up a goal for them with a minute to go, and we were out - the atmosphere was like a funeral within seconds, and no-one could believe what had happened.

Arsenal went on to win the trophy that year, when we could probably have retained it had we beaten Anderlecht.But Mulder - what a player !