Best Opposing Player You've seen @ St James' Park

Minhosa

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Standing ovation for him as well

Class little player

It was nice for him to be part of the World Cup winning side this year I thought. A player who has stuck with (largely) one club throughout his career and given his all for the national side, with that much talent, and opportunity deserves a bit of luck.

I dunno why but I always had a feeling he would sign for us one day, especially during the Keegan era. Funny.

Del Piero has been so overrated it's untrue throughout his entire career, he was a shadow of the player post 99 and that knee injury, only about two seasons ago he was actually consistent and was a vital part in Juve winning the title with that overhead kick at Meelan to set up Trezeguet I think it was. Over than that he's been overrated due to his status as some sort of demi-god by the Juventus fans.

Granted Del Piero was never the same player after his knee injury but he was still pretty special for Juve throughout the years. It's because he hasnt really done that much at international level (apart from in the summer) that he's not considered as highly.

If he didn't get that injury he would have been one of the best ever for me.

Del Boy gets my vote

Guest killers_perm

But I thought Sir Les (when QPR beat us 2-1) was an absolute monster and ran us ragged, probably the best forward display I've seen from an opposition player.

Couldn't agree more - he was awesome and we could do nothing about it (except buy him  :cool: )

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Standing ovation for him as well

Class little player

It was nice for him to be part of the World Cup winning side this year I thought. A player who has stuck with (largely) one club throughout his career and given his all for the national side, with that much talent, and opportunity deserves a bit of luck.

I dunno why but I always had a feeling he would sign for us one day, especially during the Keegan era. Funny.

Del Piero has been so overrated it's untrue throughout his entire career, he was a shadow of the player post 99 and that knee injury, only about two seasons ago he was actually consistent and was a vital part in Juve winning the title with that overhead kick at Meelan to set up Trezeguet I think it was. Over than that he's been overrated due to his status as some sort of demi-god by the Juventus fans.

Granted Del Piero was never the same player after his knee injury but he was still pretty special for Juve throughout the years. It's because he hasnt really done that much at international level (apart from in the summer) that he's not considered as highly.

If he didn't get that injury he would have been one of the best ever for me.

Del Boy gets my vote

I think it was tragic the treatment Roberto Baggio got at the hands of the media post USA '94 when he carried the team to the final by themselves, and for all the plaudits to be heaped on Del Piero who post 99 done absolutely nothing to be even mentioned in the same breath as the greatest Italian player of all time.. who may I add suffered worse injuries than Del Piero throughout his career but at the age of 36 was single handedly keeping a Brescia team up in Serie A to go along with all the over accolades of his great career.

Guest Pugwash

The single best performance though was probably Shilton, the saves just went on and on, it was a "how the fuc* did he do that" experience

This gets my vote as well. In the back of my mind is the fact that it was also his 1000th game, and Cox returning as Derby manager.  His performance was simply unbelievable; the most one sided 0-0 I've ever seen, but he was an absolute giant between the sticks that day.

But I thought Sir Les (when QPR beat us 2-1) was an absolute monster and ran us ragged, probably the best forward display I've seen from an opposition player.

Couldn't agree more - he was awesome and we could do nothing about it (except buy him  :cool: )

Don't you remember how he applauded the Milburn Stand fans who clapped him off the field..!!??

I thought then, that in the right circumstances, this guy might just sign for us...!!

That's true, believe it or not, but his performance was still not the best from an opposition player(at least, from my experience).

Don't you remember how he applauded the Milburn Stand fans who clapped him off the field..!!??

I thought then, that in the right circumstances, this guy might just sign for us...!!

That's true, believe it or not, but his performance was still not the best from an opposition player(at least, from my experience).

Sorry, guys - this comment should have been attached to the Owen Hat-trick thread - clicked on the wrong quote..

Well, probably nobody is going to like this, but I must say Drogba. Now that Shearer is out of the game, I think Drogba is the next best thing. Power, tehnique, speed, brains, that goal instinct, confidence, finishing, heading... Just about the perfect striker. Scores screamers, solo-efforts, reads the game, has a fair amount of that "Filippo Inzaghi"-touch, gets the tap-ins...

Not just because he's currently on excellent form, I must say that he's the player I admire the most at present...

And when he came on in the League Cup game, I thought that he might easily do it again. Sadly, he did just that :(

at the end of the season two years ago my choice of best opposing players were Drogba and Kezman. I was gutted when Chelsea bought them both.

Guest Knightrider

Vinnie Jones as a 'keeper stands out, I think he was shite but he made a real go of it and got an avation from Toon fans I think, actually I'm sure he pulled off a few fine saves in between, can't really remember though. Best player would have to be... so many, can't really say which one.

Vinnie Jones as a 'keeper stands out, I think he was shite but he made a real go of it and got an avation from Toon fans I think, actually I'm sure he pulled off a few fine saves in between, can't really remember though. Best player would have to be... so many, can't really say which one.

Watch "Newcastle's Biggest Hits" man.  :winking:

Best creative player I've seen at St James' without a doubt, Dennis Bergkamp, not just for THAT goal, but he was a joy to watch, I think he played here 6 or 7 times and he always impressed me.  Rivaldo, Figo and Luis Enrique were class for Barca here in the second half, but Dennis  did it on numerous occasions.

Best English opposing player without a doubt Trevor Steven, for his performance when Everton dicked us 0-4 here about 86 or 87, he was out of this world.

Best defensive performance and I know Les had a few chances, but I thought Steve Bruce, and a 19 year old Gary Neville at centre half were absolutely outstanding when they beat us 0-1.

Les Ferdinand, when he came up here with QPR one season. Can't remember the score, perhaps we even won, but he absolutely destroyed our defence with his aerial presence, power and pace.

It mainly his ability in the air that impressed me though, he was awesome with any balls played towards his head.