Best Opposing Player You've seen @ St James' Park

Minhosa

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Standing ovation for him as well

Class little player

It was nice for him to be part of the World Cup winning side this year I thought. A player who has stuck with (largely) one club throughout his career and given his all for the national side, with that much talent, and opportunity deserves a bit of luck.

bit gutted for Maldini though after his bad luck with the national team, losing in both World Cup 94 and Euro 2000 Finals. If only he stuck around with the national team for a year or so more, he would've won just about everything going domestic and internationally

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Class little player

It was nice for him to be part of the World Cup winning side this year I thought. A player who has stuck with (largely) one club throughout his career and given his all for the national side, with that much talent, and opportunity deserves a bit of luck.

bit gutted for Maldini though after his bad luck with the national team, losing in both World Cup 94 and Euro 2000 Finals. If only he stuck around with the national team for a year or so more, he would've won just about everything going domestic and internationally

Agreed mate

Funnily enough, probably Kluivert the two times we played them in 2002-3. He just oozed class those two evenings.

Yeah, its a shame about the timing of Kluiverts move to us really. The cross over with Shearers impending retirement/desire to get the goalscoring record and the sacking of SBR only for the daft jock to come in all went against him to be honest.

He did, on occasion, show some glimpses of the real Kluivert and the player we all hoped he would be.

Having said that, I'm surprised he's not done more since leaving us.

Undoubtedly a waste of talent.

I always thought people were harsh on him.  I'd have kept him if he wanted to stay.  I think he tried and cared.  I always remember his jubilation at the end of the chelsea cup win, and even when others scored in other games (i particularly remember shearer at heerenveen).

Guest the_serbian_mag

Well, probably nobody is going to like this, but I must say Drogba. Now that Shearer is out of the game, I think Drogba is the next best thing. Power, tehnique, speed, brains, that goal instinct, confidence, finishing, heading... Just about the perfect striker. Scores screamers, solo-efforts, reads the game, has a fair amount of that "Filippo Inzaghi"-touch, gets the tap-ins...

Not just because he's currently on excellent form, I must say that he's the player I admire the most at present...

And when he came on in the League Cup game, I thought that he might easily do it again. Sadly, he did just that :(

Guest Slagter_Palle

I like many others would have to vote for Schmeichel. He's one of the main reasons we never won the PL that season. Being danish it was really annoying to see a fellow countryman F***ing  the Toon. :wullie:

Well, probably nobody is going to like this, but I must say Drogba. Now that Shearer is out of the game, I think Drogba is the next best thing. Power, tehnique, speed, brains, that goal instinct, confidence, finishing, heading... Just about the perfect striker. Scores screamers, solo-efforts, reads the game, has a fair amount of that "Filippo Inzaghi"-touch, gets the tap-ins...

Not just because he's currently on excellent form, I must say that he's the player I admire the most at present...

And when he came on in the League Cup game, I thought that he might easily do it again. Sadly, he did just that :(

hes not done much at st james though

Not sure if it's been mentioned (should have been mind), but Owen against us in Gullit's first game in charge. F*cking amazing

rudd wasnt in charge.  Appointed, but not in charge yet.

Del Piero

3-2 Friendly

Class little player

I dunno why but I always had a feeling he would sign for us one day, especially during the Keegan era. Funny.

Del Piero has been so overrated it's untrue throughout his entire career, he was a shadow of the player post 99 and that knee injury, only about two seasons ago he was actually consistent and was a vital part in Juve winning the title with that overhead kick at Meelan to set up Trezeguet I think it was. Over than that he's been overrated due to his status as some sort of demi-god by the Juventus fans.

Nedved's performance in our 1-0 win at SJP. Even though they didn't win, he was simply awesome that night.

I concur. Superb player/performance.  blueyes.gif

He's still a cheating little shite though Midds lad don't forget that.  :winking:

Nedved's performance in our 1-0 win at SJP. Even though they didn't win, he was simply awesome that night.

I concur. Superb player/performance.  blueyes.gif

He's still a cheating little shite though Midds lad don't forget that.  :winking:

World class. And has backed it up with his performances over the last 10 years or so.  bluebiggrin.gif

Kenny Dalglish for the Dippers in the 77/78 relegation season. The game was played on boxing day I think & Dalglish gave a masterclass as they made us look decidedly 3rd rate. Also in the same season Johnny Rep for Bastia-top drawer!Since we  returned to the top division the performance of Teddy Sheringham for the yids on the first day of the season sticks out.

Yes, Rep was going to be another choice of mine - his goals in the return game with Bastia knocked the stuffing out of us, one of them a cracking 25-yarder in the early part of the game.

I agree with those who put forward Owen's Hat-trick for Liverpool in Gullit's first game in charge, but only as a contender from the modern era - we were basically disorganised when this happened, whereas the

Mulder example was from a time when we were serious performers in European competition, and didn't

lose winning positions easily.

There was also a friendly, back in 1973 against SC Internacional of Brazil at SJP - these guys were ALL

terrific, and one of their young players was a certain Falcao, who played for Brazil in the 82 World Cup.

He scored twice against us , I believe, and also, twice against Italy in the WC Semi in Spain, the second being an equaliser that should have taken Brazil to the Final,but Rossi nicked another at a corner and the best Brazilian side for 12 years were out.

Sorry for coming on again, guys, but I've got to give a mention to England's best ever keeper, Gordon Banks.

Saw a game in the early 70s when we played Stoke City at SJP, and Banks was in goal.

You've all seen his save from Pele in the 70 WC(absolutely incredible), but he made at least 2 similar ones against us that day.We tore into them from the off, and Banks kept us out by himself.We should have won easily, but I think they pinched a draw.Apart from Banks' performance, the highlight of the day was the Leazes End singing 'He's the best Goal-Keeper in the Land - GORDON BANKS' to the tune of 'She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes..!!' as Banks walked towards them for the second half. Banks , of course, saluted them , but they probably inspired him to his heroics - unfortunately !

Guest Invicta_Toon

been thinking about this for hours, and still no idea

got loads of half gone memories, but fucked if I can think of a particular performance

I guess I just don't give too much of a fuck about the opposition, and it's more gutting than gratifying to see a player tear you apart, especially when it's an ex Toon player

Would George Best qualify?

He might not have gave one of the best performances but must qualify as one of the best opposing players in the last 40 years.

Yes Mick, but when he played at SJP his International team-mate, David Craig used to keep him well under wraps - Craig was under-rated by London Press, but many thought him the best right-back in Britain at the time.He suffered many injuries or would have had far more caps for NI, and appearances for us. Would have been as much a legend as Bill McCracken in the early 1900s.

Best performance I've seen personally is Schmeichel's display at SJP season before we thumped them 5 - 0. After wave upon wave of us attacking their goal Cantona went up the other end and scored, 1-0. I remember going back to my house (mothers at the time) and throwing a VHS across my room I was that pissed off. :)

I may be wrong but I think this game was also the turning point of the season for us and Man U who snatched the league title.

Best performance I've seen personally is Schmeichel's display at SJP season before we thumped them 5 - 0. After wave upon wave of us attacking their goal Cantona went up the other end and scored, 1-0. I remember going back to my house (mothers at the time) and throwing a VHS across my room I was that pissed off. :)

I may be wrong but I think this game was also the turning point of the season for us and Man U who snatched the league title.

Rarely have I seen such a decisive and one-sided game where the team hanging on has come out victorious. How we lost that I'll never know but it was a massive turning point in the title race. Schmeichel was simply incredible.