Callum Wilson: back in full training

Strawberry

He's basically playing the Chris Wood role for us right now. Personally, I see that as valuable, giving us some shape in the offensive half - it's not intended as an insult, I respect his work rate and the aggro he brings to opponents. But he's not a really scary threat in his own right as a forward nowadays.

There's a chance he turns it around and once again proves it's just fitness issues holding him back at the moment, but those fitness issues are a constant presence in his life, so it doesn't change all that much.

13 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not sure any team in the PL has three capable strikers. 

Not many. Think forest might be the exception with wood, origi and awoniyi.

Whilst Liverpool have been put in that bracket, really only Nunez is a CF or striker, most of their 'forwards' are inverted wingers.

I think it's down to how most teams play, just my opinion but I think man city are harder to play against without Haarland, as they seem to be less direct and soak up an absolute ton of possession with the extra man if you like.

Quite simply, if Newcastle had 2 strikers that didn't get injured every 4 games then that would suffice.

The club will have to replace Wilson with someone this summer, if we can't then I'd expect another season like this one 

3 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Not many. Think forest might be the exception with wood, origi and awoniyi.

Whilst Liverpool have been put in that bracket, really only Nunez is a CF or striker, most of their 'forwards' are inverted wingers.

I think it's down to how most teams play, just my opinion but I think man city are harder to play against without Haarland, as they seem to be less direct and soak up an absolute ton of possession with the extra man if you like.

Quite simply, if Newcastle had 2 strikers that didn't get injured every 4 games then that would suffice.

The club will have to replace Wilson with someone this summer, if we can't then I'd expect another season like this one 

That’s being very kind to Forest 

As has been said numerous times. It’s fine not having 3 recognised strikers. However going into the season with only 2. One who is made of glass and the other that has barely been fully fit since being here. Always seemed like a risk and it has certainly coming back to bite us on the arse. 

Wilson needs to go in the summer. Some great memories, even in some dark times. But almost a waste of a squad place at this point. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Howe has confirmed his shoulder is fine, it’s a muscle in is arm that was the issue.

Is that likely to keep him out of the next few games or is it not considered serious?

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Is that likely to keep him out of the next few games or is it not considered serious?

Not looking serious according to Howe. But it’s Wilson so who knows.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

If it's an arm muscle then it's less likely to keep him out than a shoulder anyway. Hope so anyway, even a less than dangerous Wilson is better than no striker at all.

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Yep, that's a decade out and a likely amputation 

3 hours ago, STM said:

I agree, with the slight caveat that we need at least one of our main strikers to have a good fitness record. Therefore, Wilson out and someone in.

We should also be looking for wingers of such a standard that could at least fill in up front, like Gordon.

Wilson and Isak have both been rushed back from injury early - look to have played close to 90 minutes when both visibly unfit to do so. We need to more proactively rest them and perhaps alter the tactics so that they can cope with the workload expected.  Neither Isak or Wilson seem capable to play Howe ball 90 minutes game after game. Howe needs to adapt a little imo as we’ll struggle to find 2 better goalscorers. 

We need our CM unsuspended and a RW. 

That would mean our wingers would be New RW, Gordon, Barnes, Almiron, Joelinton, Murphy.  That would free up Gordon to get rest and *proactively* fill in for Isak and Wilson to ease the load.  

Ideally get a young striker who can play on the wing and Wilson is kept as a bench option or if needed if Isak and new striker are out. We still have a good few years of squad building to do. 

40 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Have you not described Anthony Gordon?

Gordon doesn't really look like a striker IMO. He does stretch defences though, so if Wilson isn't fit for the next game, at least he'll offer that.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

Gordon doesn't really look like a striker IMO. He does stretch defences though, so if Wilson isn't fit for the next game, at least he'll offer that.

Then name a similar profile of player then. Nicholas Jackson?

Who did Arsenal start up top today?

Btw our CB options are among the weakest in the top 7. Villa have Konsa, their captain, Pau, Carlos and Lenglet. We have Schar, Botman, Lascelles, Burn, Dummett. It’s much weaker. We need a CB before a striker. We need a winger before a striker. We need a LB  

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Then name a similar profile of player then. Nicholas Jackson?

Who did Arsenal start up top today?

Btw our CB options are among the weakest in the top 7. Villa have Konsa, their captain, Pau, Carlos and Lenglet. We have Schar, Botman, Lascelles, Burn, Dummett. It’s much weaker. We need a CB before a striker. We need a winger before a striker. We need a LB  

Haven't seen that much of Jackson other than him looking like a patchy finisher. Gordon will make great runs, but not sure about the rest of his game. Is he capable of holding the ball up? Does he have a striker's movement when the crosses come in? Can he hit the ball well from a central position? Maybe he can, just haven't seen it yet.

23 minutes ago, TRon said:

Haven't seen that much of Jackson other than him looking like a patchy finisher. Gordon will make great runs, but not sure about the rest of his game. Is he capable of holding the ball up? Does he have a striker's movement when the crosses come in? Can he hit the ball well from a central position? Maybe he can, just haven't seen it yet.

Can the 3rd choice striker of City or Arsenal or Villa or Man U or Spurs or West Ham do those things?

This is why I’m asking you to name the profile of player.  Give me an example that’s actively playing in the league. 

Sounds like you’re naming Chris Wood.  You all hated him.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Can the 3rd choice striker of City or Arsenal or Villa or Man U or Spurs or West Ham do those things?

This is why I’m asking you to name the profile of player.  Give me an example that’s actively playing in the league. 

Sounds like you’re naming Chris Wood.  You all hated him.  

If we are talking about 3rd choice strikers, then Gordon is fine for a few games a season but I don't really think he's a striker. What I think we really need is a Jao Pedro type who can share the workload with Isak since I don't think Callum Wilson can be considered a reliable alternative any more since he keeps breaking down.

Maybe someone should steal Schar's hairbrush and we can get his DNA and clone him, then our 2044 lineup can just be a Fabian Schar XI?

Well, maybe a Schar X. Schar isn't tall enough to play left back, so Dan Burn will still be starting...

42 minutes ago, TRon said:

If we are talking about 3rd choice strikers, then Gordon is fine for a few games a season but I don't really think he's a striker. What I think we really need is a Jao Pedro type who can share the workload with Isak since I don't think Callum Wilson can be considered a reliable alternative any more since he keeps breaking down.

So a £30m backup striker when we have FFP restrictions.  If we sell Wilson we might need to do that. 

JP almost exclusively plays as 10 for Brighton btw and almost exclusively played on the wing at Watford.  

I just feel like the mythical 3rd striker isn’t based on reality. And replacing Wilson would likely mean signing an inferior player. Would people be happy with a Wissa type backup striker? I look at the league and most good teams have a winger or 10 as a backup striker. Or a clearly inferior striker like Arsenal or Villa. 

Edited by The College Dropout