Newcastle United 1-4 Manchester United - 17/10/2020 - post match from p18

Disco

I'll take your word for it, I only watch Man Utd on occasion. I do stand by the point about Maguire though, I think he's a much better player than what people are making out lately, and I also don't think Ole is a good manager at all. In fact I'd say he's in the bottom 10 in the league, so the fact he's managing the biggest club in the world is baffling.

I'll take your word for it, I only watch Man Utd on occasion. I do stand by the point about Maguire though, I think he's a much better player than what people are making out lately, and I also don't think Ole is a good manager at all. In fact I'd say he's in the bottom 10 in the league, so the fact he's managing the biggest club in the world is baffling.

He was brought in as a placeholder until we found another manager. He went on an insane run and earned the job. In his first full season he's finished third which is our second highest finish in 7 years. It's clear to see why he's the manager. Whether he can improve from there remains to be seen but he has fully earned his position IMO.

It's nice to see a manager get time for once, that's for sure. We all tend to moan when managers are sacked after a bad spell, so the fact the Man Utd fan base is largely behind him still is somewhat refreshing. However I wonder if it's mostly because of who he is, rather than what he's done. Personally I'm still not sure what he's actually trying to implement there, which would worry me as a fan. What's his style, what's he working towards? I can't see a pattern.

You see Ancelotti go to Everton and completely transform them, Bielsa at Leeds, Klopp, Pep, Rodgers even... Ole is nowhere near them and will never be, and again this is Manchester United we're on about. Should be aiming higher but the owners seem content with aiming for top 4. Pretty much become the new Arsenal.

From my exceptionally limited Man Utd knowledge, it appears they'd benefit most from getting rid of some of the cuntier/wantaway characters moreso than getting rid of OGS. And their signings seem to reek of just throwing shit at the wall and hoping for the best. Where is their Roy Keane ey, their LEADER? Pogba? Maguire? De Gea?! Luke Shaw!? lols

Maguire must have been thanking his lucky stars he came up against a Bruce team. Lots of long high balls for him to swallow up, and no pacy strikers for him to worry about. Even got to wander up for all the set pieces and get himself a nice easy header to get a little extra credit.

Maguire must have been thanking his lucky stars he came up against a Bruce team. Lots of long high balls for him to swallow up, and no pacy strikers for him to worry about. Even got to wander up for all the set pieces and get himself a nice easy header to get a little extra credit.

Well, Wilson is quick, the problem is Bruce didn't look to exploit them and utilise our pace as he doesn't do tactics or opposition analysis (as we found it in the Brighton game so starkly). A half decent manager would have looked at Shaw & Maguire and instructed the likes of Almiron, ASM & Fraser to run straight at them any chance they got. Instead we had Joelinton as a winger and Hendrick doing... well I'm not sure.

It's nice to see a manager get time for once, that's for sure. We all tend to moan when managers are sacked after a bad spell, so the fact the Man Utd fan base is largely behind him still is somewhat refreshing. However I wonder if it's mostly because of who he is, rather than what he's done. Personally I'm still not sure what he's actually trying to implement there, which would worry me as a fan. What's his style, what's he working towards? I can't see a pattern.

You see Ancelotti go to Everton and completely transform them, Bielsa at Leeds, Klopp, Pep, Rodgers even... Ole is nowhere near them and will never be, and again this is Manchester United we're on about. Should be aiming higher but the owners seem content with aiming for top 4. Pretty much become the new Arsenal.

See I half agree but feel you're contradicting yourself a bit. Our owners are a huge problem. If the sources are to be believed Solskjaer asked for Sancho, Upamecano and Grealish. We did fuck all in the transfer market in the grand scheme of things. The managers aren't getting backed. Same when Mourinho wanted Alderweireld, Skriniar and Perisic and wasn't backed.

SEMTEX has it right too with the attitude of some players. There's a lot of deadwood that needs shifted and Ole is doing a good job so far of making it clear who needs to go.

See I half agree but feel you're contradicting yourself a bit. Our owners are a huge problem. If the sources are to be believed Solskjaer asked for Sancho, Upamecano and Grealish. We did fuck all in the transfer market in the grand scheme of things. The managers aren't getting backed. Same when Mourinho wanted Alderweireld, Skriniar and Perisic and wasn't backed.

SEMTEX has it right too with the attitude of some players. There's a lot of deadwood that needs shifted and Ole is doing a good job so far of making it clear who needs to go.

Maybe so, I'm just trying to make a full point, just as I do with Newcastle. Bruce is shit but it always has to be caveated by *Mike Ashley is the owner. Similarly, I think Ole has not yet proved he is a good enough manager to get Man United back to consistently challenging for the title and being the feared team they once were, but it's also caveated by having owners who aren't willing to invest enough in order to improve certain areas of the squad.

Ole can ask for Sancho, Upamecano and Grealish, but does he have a system or set of systems that over the course of 38 games would see Man United pushing Liverpool/City? Bruce got Wilson, Fraser & Lewis, good players. But Wilson is left stranded up top just as Joelinton was last year, Fraser can't get a game and Lewis has looked vulnerable and easily exploited. Getting players is one thing, managing them effectively is something entirely different.