Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yes. Lose today. So that we may or may not win the next one. 

We will deliberately lose the battle and then we might win the war. Fuck knows. 

We're experiencing fatigue in a tight schedule, but let's try to maximize the next couple of games anyways. We may or may not win those, and then we will look like a Championship side for the next 5 games after that, gradually becoming worse and worse.

Does this sound better?

he's been ridiculously unlucky this season for so many reasons 

taking just the PSG and Chlesea away games 

had that awful penalty decision against PSG not been given we'd almost certainly still be in CL/Europe (the 97th minute ffs)

had Trippier not made that mistake in stoppage time at Chelsea  we'd have one foot in a LC final

(or had the ref sent of Caicedo at least, or penalties had gone the other way)

don't think anyone would be questioning Howe had those finest of margins gone the other way 

not to mention all the fucking freak injuries this season and Tonali suspension which has limited him so much in terms of team selection 

5 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

had that awful penalty decision against PSG not been given we'd almost certainly still be in CL/Europe (the 97th minute ffs)

had Trippier not made that mistake in stoppage time at Chelsea  we'd have one foot in a LC final

don't think anyone would be questioning Howe had those finest of margins gone the other way 

not to mention all the fucking freak injuries this season and Tonali suspension which has limited him so much in terms of team selection 

Amen brother. 

2 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

Totally. Although, as I've said before, we did have fantastic luck with injuries last season, also - they were always spread around the positions, avoiding vital players, with players timing their recoveries perfectly to cover others e.g. Wilson and Isak, Almiron and Murphy. That could've been a very different season too.

7 minutes ago, Erikse said:

We're experiencing fatigue in a tight schedule, but let's try to maximize the next couple of games anyways. We may or may not win those, and then we will look like a Championship side for the next 5 games after that, gradually becoming worse and worse.

Does this sound better?

Chuck the reserves to the wolves. That will more than likely result in a humiliating defeat. Bringing more pressure on the coaching team, fucking off a load of fans who have paid their money in the process for practically forfeiting a game. Then killing any chance at momentum and crushing the confidence of these young players at the same time.  All So that we might or might not get a result in the next game or two. Instead of trying to win the next one in front of you. 

Seems a sensible call. I’m shocked that Howe didn’t go for that, TBH. 

7 minutes ago, 80 said:

Totally. Although, as I've said before, we did have fantastic luck with injuries last season, also - they were always spread around the positions, avoiding vital players, with players timing their recoveries perfectly to cover others e.g. Wilson and Isak, Almiron and Murphy. That could've been a very different season too.

not playing in the CL probably had a big say in that. Guess we’ll find out next season

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO you try to rotate in 3 scenarios:

(1) where you think you will win comfortably - Crystal Palace (H) for example. But for us.. these games are rare. Didn't take those few occasions. 

(2) when you are up by a wide margin early - this is the least beneficial type of resting IMO but Howe doesn't do this much either - Sheff U away for example.

(3) On a congested fixture list, you just pick 1 to rotate - 4 games in 14 days, pick 1 to rotate players. We didn't do that either.

All the teams that compete in the CL group stages need to rotate. The elite teams can rest players in 1 or 2 CL games. The rest have to rest players in domestic cup competitions and the league IMO. When it was easier to do it, Howe didn't. When it was harder to do it, Howe didn't do it.

If not for Burn's injury - we probably don't see much of Livra. The entire approach to rotation is wrong IMO. And there's history - here and at Bournemouth. So I can't cut Eddie as much slack as others are willing. There's too much evidence that he's a co-conspirator in this crisis.

And tbh - I think Klopp is similar (but more willing to rotate still). Hence why Liverpool have feast seasons and some really ropey ones. I hope this is a ropey one for Howe. But the rotation, fatigue thing is an area of weakness. Not just something that has happened through bad luck alone.

Yes finally we acknowledge he is a fallible human being who can make bad decisions. You are right - he is not perfect. Nobody else in this conversation is suggesting he's replaced though.

A lot of fair points there.

I'd be interested to read the evidence highlighting his contribution to this particular injury crisis.

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

(1) where you think you will win comfortably - Crystal Palace (H) for example. But for us.. these games are rare. Didn't take those few occasions. 

(2) when you are up by a wide margin early - this is the least beneficial type of resting IMO but Howe doesn't do this much either - Sheff U away for example.

(3) On a congested fixture list, you just pick 1 to rotate - 4 games in 14 days, pick 1 to rotate players. We didn't do that either.

All the teams that compete in the CL group stages need to rotate. The elite teams can rest players in 1 or 2 CL games. The rest have to rest players in domestic cup competitions and the league IMO. When it was easier to do it, Howe didn't. When it was harder to do it, Howe didn't do it.

If not for Burn's injury - we probably don't see much of Livra. The entire approach to rotation is wrong IMO. And there's history - here and at Bournemouth. So I can't cut Eddie as much slack as others are willing. There's too much evidence that he's a co-conspirator in this crisis.

And tbh - I think Klopp is similar (but more willing to rotate still). Hence why Liverpool have feast seasons and some really ropey ones. I hope this is a ropey one for Howe. But the rotation, fatigue thing is an area of weakness. Not just something that has happened through bad luck alone.

Yes finally we acknowledge he is a fallible human being who can make bad decisions. You are right - he is not perfect. Nobody else in this conversation is suggesting he's replaced though.

I don't get why some people (including yourself) are so boringly and vigorously focussed on the negatives though. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Me and others have been saying he should do this for months. I said it regarding the Man U league cup game and thought he should've rotated before that as well.

Yep, I remember we had this discussion at the time - I felt that I’d rather play reserves in league match to increase chances of cup success, you held the opposite view - but we were both agreed that a complete swap out was necessary 

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s because you are being pretty reasonable. Once again, There are a few on here who have a long history of being wildly reactionary when we hit a bad patch, and then they pretend as if nothing happened. 

I think you raise good points, but then again, you  aren’t discussing the merits of Mourinho coming in.

I don’t think anyone here would say Jose is a better fit for Newcastle. I am Jose fans but I don’t think we are prepared for a short term win at this moment manager yet. We are still building our foundation as a top 4 contender.

But Jose is a realistic appointment if Howe is fired. That’s not something we want, but that would probably be the “most sensible” choice by the management. Not that we would agree with that logic behind, just like firing Howe now is not a sensible decision, but we all know it’s becoming a real possibility. 

Mourinho would bring horrible football and the never ending just escalating Jose circus. However if we finish the season badly and Howe remains incapable of rotating and continues to be tactically inflexible we could well end up with him as our next manager, unless we can tempt a De Zerbi or Alonso.

The only upside is Jose just might win us a cup before it all goes to the dogs, it’s the kind of thing he does.

3 hours ago, Away Toon said:

Mourinho would bring horrible football and the never ending just escalating Jose circus. However if we finish the season badly and Howe remains incapable of rotating and continues to be tactically inflexible we could well end up with him as our next manager, unless we can tempt a De Zerbi or Alonso.

The only upside is Jose just might win us a cup before it all goes to the dogs, it’s the kind of thing he does.

Utter garbage

5 hours ago, Away Toon said:

De Zerbi is annoying overrated garbage.

6 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

On the flip side, what’s the point in posting on a forum if you are unprepared for pushback?

That hardly classifies as pushback, it's just posters not capable of entering into a discussion with someone with contrasting views to their own.  Maybe it's just a lack of  intellectual capacity .

5 hours ago, Away Toon said:

That hardly classifies as pushback, it's just posters not capable of entering into a discussion with someone with contrasting views to their own.  Maybe it's just a lack of  intellectual capacity .

I suspect that if he said that the opinion was garbage and then explained in detail why, you would still find some self victimizing angle 

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

22 hours ago, catlover24 said:

De Zerbi is annoying overrated garbage.

He isn’t. Tactically he is very good and is continuing to perform at a high level despite Brighton making nearly £100 million profit on transfers in the summer. It is easy to forget how small of a football club Brighton are.

The other thing is that whilst he joined Brighton after Ashworth had left to come here, the way Brighton plan it is likely that Ashworth had identified him as a coach to watch long before he left, it wasn’t as if there was rumblings about Potter going long before he did and he was linked with every vacant position.

I like Brightons football but some of our fans at home might find it frustrating the lack of urgency it has, as it is designed to be possession based around the back and then to counter when pressed.

He also comes across as a down to earth guy.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

He isn’t. Tactically he is very good and is continuing to perform at a high level despite Brighton making nearly £100 million profit on transfers in the summer. It is easy to forget how small of a football club Brighton are.

The other thing is that whilst he joined Brighton after Ashworth had left to come here, the way Brighton plan it is likely that Ashworth had identified him as a coach to watch long before he left, it wasn’t as if there was rumblings about Potter going long before he did and he was linked with every vacant position.

I like Brightons football but some of our fans at home might find it frustrating the lack of urgency it has, as it is designed to be possession based around the back and then to counter when pressed.

He also comes across as a down to earth guy.

Imagine what he would be like in Ze Derbi.

Ive always wanted to say that but never had the chance.