Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Holy shit are there actually people saying switching to Mourinho is a smart move?

I challenge anyone that thinks that is a smart move to imagine him with this squad but 'only' £100m-odd to spend on reinforcements in the summer. I'm sure he'd absolutely fucking relish the challenge. :lol:

4 hours ago, brummie said:

Appointing Mourinho would be the same sort of star-fucking mistake that saw us appoint Gerrard, and Blues appoint Rooney.

It would be absolutely idiotic to think that someone like him is more the man for this moment than Howe, and - to be honest - most managers already working in the PL.

Not the same thing at all. Mourinho is miles and miles ahead of fucking Gerrard and Rooney [emoji38]

That being said I think it would be a mistake to replace Eddie.

Jose is not a better fit than Howe. I don’t think that needs to be questioned

however if Howe is fired after losing the next few games, the management will definitely go for Jose, and I think he will accept the offer.

we better hope Howe can turn it around asap

Mourinho is the kind of appointment when you try to take a short cut to the top of the table instead of building something long term and sustainable. A few years back id have jumped at the chance of Mourinho, now though I don't think hed be the right fit for us, and we dont have the ability to enact massive changes to the squad I feel he would like. 

Howe obviously shouldn't be sacked or ever leave BUT these things do happen and it could easily happen this season if it goes terribly wrong. If that case arises I'd be okay with Mourhino coming in. 

13 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. I'm not seeing Howe evolve his thinking or his approach.

Injuries to Tino, Schar, Joelinton, Lascelles, Willock, Isak & Wilson can partly be attributed to overplaying or being rushed back to soon.

Burn, Isak, Joelinton & Gordon have either played looking very unfit and/or carrying a knock.

He's got to adapt his approach to load management and playing players' with knocks going forward.

Yeah but they were brought back too early/over played because we've had a massive injury crisis though. It's not even a chicken/egg situation, because he has had to gamble to even field a functioning starting eleven.

When was the last time we had anything resambling a bench that was fit for purpose? The fuck is he supposed to do like?

I think it's a bit silly to think a club that has spent tens of millions of pounds on infrastructure improvements, facilities improvements, medical staff improvements, and more is going to let the manager decide by himself whether or not a player is fit to play. Howe can no more make that determination by himself than he can buy a player by himself. He's a (very important) member of a staff that values his input but doesn't make their decisions based on him. He will play the players that are deemed fit to play. Questions can be asked about why and how those players are deemed fit to play but he's not dragging out some half-injured man by the scruff of his neck to go run out there for 90 minutes. 

He's already shown over his career that he can adapt. His sides are quite different here than at Bournemouth. They adapted last year and changed the press style and point of attack. I expect that we will adapt a little this season as well, but the truth is that injuries and suspensions have undone us and there's precious little he could do about it. He's the best manager we've had in an age and I can't think of a better one to lead us from here. Patience is difficult but vital.

7 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Wasn’t suggesting it. I’m just aware it’s an option the club have possibly looked at.

Hes got positives to his resume, chiefly being a serial winner of trophies. He’s done it at most of his jobs.

It would be a massive change in style and ethos at the club though so it’s highly unlikely to ever happen.

Michel from Girona is a different prospect though, he’s going right to the top, probably to Barca unless an English club can get in first. Cut from same cloth as Pep. That’s something we should be all over with a view to a season or two down the line. Remember how long it took City to woo Pep.. that’s what’s involved in bringing the elite here.

God help us all 

We have a young manager who has a lot of room to grow, and with the club…An ambitious manager with a project club, who massively exceeded reasonable expectations until these past couple months.

Some of you are just talking craziness, and don’t really know what you’ve got. Wood for the trees and all…

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

5 hours ago, Memphis said:

I think it's a bit silly to think a club that has spent tens of millions of pounds on infrastructure improvements, facilities improvements, medical staff improvements, and more is going to let the manager decide by himself whether or not a player is fit to play. Howe can no more make that determination by himself than he can buy a player by himself. He's a (very important) member of a staff that values his input but doesn't make their decisions based on him. He will play the players that are deemed fit to play. Questions can be asked about why and how those players are deemed fit to play but he's not dragging out some half-injured man by the scruff of his neck to go run out there for 90 minutes. 

He's already shown over his career that he can adapt. His sides are quite different here than at Bournemouth. They adapted last year and changed the press style and point of attack. I expect that we will adapt a little this season as well, but the truth is that injuries and suspensions have undone us and there's precious little he could do about it. He's the best manager we've had in an age and I can't think of a better one to lead us from here. Patience is difficult but vital.

You would be surprised.  If the player is willing to play and Howe selects him. He will play. Howe is in charge of selecting the team, the medical department can’t stop him or the player. Team selection is not like transfers.  

This is why concussion protocol was brought in. Players and managers would play on.  

Wilson has said himself that he pushed to come back too early. If Howe is willing to do that with an injury prone player in his 30s - he’ll do it with the rest of them if they are willing. 

If Howe can’t pick the team he wants, he’s not the head coach. 

Edited by The College Dropout

6 hours ago, Zero said:

Jose is not a better fit than Howe. I don’t think that needs to be questioned

however if Howe is fired after losing the next few games, the management will definitely go for Jose, and I think he will accept the offer.

we better hope Howe can turn it around asap

Collectively we all mostly agree that Howe is the right man for the job and that this season has very much had mitigating circumstances so far. 

We also agree that whilst Mourinho has had previous success he's well last his best and would be a laughably short term appointment with no guarantee of success. 

Given our owners current actions and appointments what makes us think they don't see it like the above too?

I'm not saying the direction won't change but so far they've viewed it as a long term project. Part of that is if you think you're on the right track you ride out periods like the one we're going through. There'll have been questions asked of him I'm sure but I don't think he's in any danger. 

5 hours ago, Memphis said:

This is Howe I feel (see what I did there). There is no point in questioning him either. Well I guess we can question some decisions. But ultimately he hasn’t had a fully fit squad all season.

It could be a blessing in disguise aswell. This season is unlikely going to end up with us being in Europe. So we can possibly try other things. Formations etc. Treat the FA cup seriously.

Get players back and ease them back in. Focus on what we need for next season when the deadwood gets cleared.

I think qualifying for Europe is imperative to the clubs growth.  If we don’t qualify for any European competition I think there will be discussions at the top of the club about his future.  

As previously mentioned, Eales has recently suggested that’s a reasonable target.  

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I think qualifying for Europe is imperative to the clubs growth.  If we don’t qualify for any European competition I think there will be discussions at the top of the club about his future.  

As previously mentioned, Eales has recently suggested that’s a reasonable target.  

I think it was reasonable. But the injuries and suspensions have crippled us.

We won’t make Europe now. I don’t think anyways.

Maybe for long term growth this next season we don’t want it until we can strengthen.

3 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I think it was reasonable. But the injuries and suspensions have crippled us.

We won’t make Europe now. I don’t think anyways.

Maybe for long term growth this next season we don’t want it until we can strengthen.

He said it only last week. 

If the Joe injury is serious and we don’t sign anyone I would take it as giving up on the season though. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

He said it only last week. 

If the Joe injury is serious and we don’t sign anyone I would take it as giving up on the season though. 

I don’t think we can afford to sign anyone though. FFP is hitting hard.

The money is there of course but we can’t spend it.

Europe seems very unlikely. But get past the Villa game and go on a run of 3/4 wins and it may look different depending on other results.

AFCON could hit some clubs hard.

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

Yeah but they were brought back too early/over played because we've had a massive injury crisis though. It's not even a chicken/egg situation, because he has had to gamble to even field a functioning starting eleven.

When was the last time we had anything resambling a bench that was fit for purpose? The fuck is he supposed to do like?

Not rush players back from injury. Take a short term poor team to ensure we have a decent team now.  

I don’t buy this idea that he’s had to risk players fitness again and again.  It’s been a poor and continued choice.  

If you think we should go from high pressing, fast action, get the fans off their seat, its about the team not the individual Howe to pragmatic, insta-success, its all about me Mourinho, you don't understand football.

Clubs hire sporting directors specifically to prevent this madness. A medium term vision would see any Howe replacement (not that there needs to be one), as a similar type manager and not the polar opposite.

In short, hiring Mourinho would be the equivalent of ripping up the blueprint and tearing down the foundations.

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Are people actually getting angry at the scenario that's been thought up in their heads whereby Jose replaces Howe?

I don’t think it’s anger. I think it’s sheer worry that some might consider swapping Howe for Mourinho.

Polar opposites in terms of styles. Not many of our players would suit him aswell.

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Are people actually getting angry at the scenario that's been thought up in their heads whereby Jose replaces Howe?

Not anger, no.

28 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not rush players back from injury. Take a short term poor team to ensure we have a decent team now.  

I don’t buy this idea that he’s had to risk players fitness again and again.  It’s been a poor and continued choice.  

Howe is a football purist, and clearly a decent man, and I like that about him.

But I know what a savvy operator like a Benitez or Mourinho etc would have done.  He’d have played kids in a game or two, and used it to make a point / take a shot at a chairman, owner, the FA, the PL - whoever.  It’s a more cynical approach, but it is what should have been done.

I wouldn’t swap Howe for Benitez or Mourinho mind (I’ve seen the daft rumours circulating).  But Howe could take an idea or two from them. 

16 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I don’t think it’s anger. I think it’s sheer worry that some might consider swapping Howe for Mourinho.

Polar opposites in terms of styles. Not many of our players would suit him aswell.

Well, I'm angry. And not because Mourinho's in it, but because it degrades Howe.

No to changing Howe with Mourinho. He was brilliant about 20 years ago and built a Porto team from nothing to trophy winners, but since then everything he's done has been driven by a pretty much bottomless cheque book. His own hype went to his head and has clearly lost his original magic, and has turned so poisonous that it's virtually impossible for him to spend more than 3 years anywhere without upsetting someone to the degree that he's either sacked or leaves. 

Without ffp restrictions he could be a short term option to get a trophy quickly, but with the current situation he's very much yesterdays man and is rapidly heading to PFM territory