Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, J7 said:

It’s not. I personally think it’s a bit over the top, but there’s clearly context when making a comment like that. You come across pedantic, like you’re trying to win the internet or something.

I don't think it's pedantic at all. If you've seen Newcastle throughout the years and got to the point where what you're watching now is absolutely shit, honking etc then I'm not sure what you're ever going to get out of it, it's only ever going to be a series of honeymoon periods and then taking it for granted. 

1 minute ago, Sibierski said:

Sad reality, the overall results for us this calendar year is where we are as a squad. Can’t expect more when it’s still Almiron/Murphy RW, slow CBs etc. 

Howe got the most of the guys in 22/23, those players like Longstaff / Almiron etc are NEVER hitting that level again. As they never showed anything close to it before.

Just the issue is, has Howe got us set up where if we brought in 3 players, would we be better? And for me, that’s a no. Just can’t get going with a flat midfield three. He changes that, and it gives me hope that with additions we could go forward under Howe.

Howe’s midfield tactic is the only reason I want to see a change. It clearly doesn’t work.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think it's pedantic at all. If you've seen Newcastle throughout the years and got to the point where what you're watching now is absolutely shit, honking etc then I'm not sure what you're ever going to get out of it, it's only ever going to be a series of honeymoon periods and then taking it for granted. 

What date are you going to let people compare us to? Just so we can have an opinion you maybe don’t agree with.

I think saying we've been honking for the whole year is obviously hyperbolic. We have certainly been honking at times during that period though, especially away from home, regardless of whether you're judging by post-takeover expectations or pre-takeover expectations.

Some of the performances have been well below the required standard, and what's concerning to me is we haven't really changed anything to shake it up. It currently feels like we try the same thing every single week, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It seems like teams have found us out a bit and its edging more towards the latter this season. 

12 minutes ago, Heron said:

So we played shit versus Liverpool and PSG?

Of course I'm not saying there haven't been matches and spells where we've played really well in the past year, but the issues with our midfield have been apparent since the start of last season.

Even before that everyone was calling for us to sign a proper 6.

Edited by Jackie Broon

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

What date are you going to let people compare us to? Just so we can have an opinion you maybe don’t agree with.

Someone having an opinion on something you've said ≠ You not being allowed an opinion. 

Needs to be a pinned post tbh, some people can't seem to grasp that.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I think @Kid Icarusis merely saying folk should be more measured in their criticism to be honest like and to have some perspective. I for one, agree.

Objectively, we aren't improving based on results over the last two years, but as I've briefly identified it's by 0.1 points per game.

Performance wise - we have improved in recent games but not picked up points - which I think is acknowledged by all.

I just don't see it as being being the panic stations kind of scenario that folk are making out and I suspect @Kid Icarusfeels the same.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Me having an opinion on something you've said ≠ You not being allowed an opinion. 

Needs to be a pinned post tbh, some people can't seem to grasp that.

I said we’ve been honking this year and you brought up previous managers. If you’re happy being better than Steve Bruce made us, go for it 

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Of course I'm not saying there haven't been matches and spells, where we've played really well in the past year, but the issues with our midfield have been apparent since the start of last season.

I don't really agree with that timeline tbh but certainly this calendar year we have struggled with number 10s of any calibre.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If Europe is the aim and we are nowhere near it come January, they have a massive decision to make about spending in that window.

I would personally rather we gave the money to somebody else to spend 

27 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I agree, if we don't have the players to play how we are we need to find a different way.

Bruno is becoming a liability, we need to find a way to allow him to do what he does best without leaving a huge space behind him.

Honestly looks to me like the players don't even have confidence in the high line any more either. Burn just gave up the ghost for that first goal, he knew he was never catching Jackson. Howe has to address it at some point.

I said we’ve been honking this year and you brought up previous managers. If you’re happy being better than Steve Bruce made us, go for it 

I'm happy with us being the best Newcastle team I've seen post-Keegan, aye. Better than adjusting your expectations so quickly to the extent you can't enjoy that for more than a fleeting moment imo.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Honestly looks to me like the players don't even have confidence in the high line any more either. Burn just gave up the ghost for that first goal, he knew he was never catching Jackson. Howe has to address it at some point.

Was down to a poor plan around our midfield for me. We seemed to have all their midfield and attack against our defence every single time they countered.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If Europe is the aim and we are nowhere near it come January, they have a massive decision to make about spending in that window.

Gong to be extremely difficult to get a European place at this rate, still early days.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I'm happy with us being the best Newcastle team I've seen post-Keegan, aye. Better than adjusting your expectations so quickly to the extent you can't enjoy that for more than a fleeting moment imo.

I prefer to compare us to last season, given the desire is to actually improve.

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ofcourse we are playing better than we did when the entire team was made of mid to lower table players. But, since we are on the topic of history, these are the last few league finishes before takeover:

10th, 13th, 13th, 12th

Some of these finishes were done with the allmighty Bruce as manager.. We will probably get atleast top half, but we have a way better squad than what we had. Yes, we still have some of those less good players, but atleast we have 4-5 higher quality players and more depth. If you look at the starting 11s and the benches in the seasons mentioned, you'd realise how much worse it was. Heck, we used to rely on ASM being fit as much as possible back then..

I prefer to compare us to last season, given the desire is to actually improve.

Course it is, but so is enjoying the ride, the football and so on, and remembering where you came from is a big part of that.

Edited by Kid Icarus

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Absolute drivel. If we draw with Bournemouth, are we not to say anything negative to sum up the performance because we got shagged off Carlisle in 1982 or Scunthorpe in 2009. Don’t talk shite. You compare performances now with what has come in recent times. 

7 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Gong to be extremely difficult to get a European place at this rate, still early days.

if we do, it will be through a cup and not the league.

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Ofcourse we are playing better than we did when the entire team was made of mid to lower table players. But, since we are on the topic of history, these are the last few league finishes before takeover:

10th, 13th, 13th, 12th

Some of these finishes were done with the allmighty Bruce as manager.. We will probably get atleast top half, but we have a way better squad than what we had. Yes, we still have some of those less good players, but atleast we have 4-5 higher quality players and more depth. If you look at the starting 11s and the benches in the seasons mentioned, you'd realise how much worse it was. Heck, we used to rely on ASM being fit as much as possible back then..

League positions don't really factor into your own enjoyment of watching us though don't you think?

No one enjoyed the football, including when the the results were good for the most part, and those league positions hide relegation battles and godawful football. 

We're not firing on all cylinders at the moment but there's a long way to go and from watching us I think our results and league position will improve in time.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

League positions don't really factor into your own enjoyment of watching us though don't you think?

No one enjoyed the football, including when the the results were good for the most part, and those league positions hide relegation battles and godawful football. 

We're not firing on all cylinders at the moment but there's a long way to go and from watching us I think our results and league position will improve in time.

you enjoyed watching us this season?