Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Upthemags said:

This is disingenuous - Howe spent 70 million pound on fullbacks precisely to lighten the load on our aging ones. We don't get to then throw up our hands and so there's no options to rotate

What's disingenuous?

i) Howe didn't spend anything. According to the Athletic, we have a transfer panel consisting of Howe, Nickson, Ashworth. The latter has final say.

ii) We didn't spend anything on Hall. If he wasn't available on a loan-to-buy, we might not have brought him in.

iii) At one point we had eleven first team  players missing through injury or suspension. Regardless of who we had bought it would have had a serious impact on form.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's got stuck in one gear for me. The Howe way of football is the same as Klopp or Pep, but they have the squad and the players to execute it, at the moment we don't. Today he made the opposition manager look like a genius, reminded me of when we were 1-0 up against Liverpool down to 10 men at home. We shouldn't be playing into the opposition's hands when they are the ones who need to chase the game.

Ridiuculous amount of space for them to run into giving strikers easy one on one's against the keeper.

That said, some of the defending on their goals was absolutely scandalous and out of his control. He's been badly let down by certain players he has put a lot of faith in.

Trippier for example needs to be dropped until he sorts himself out.

Edited by UncleBingo

Just now, UncleBingo said:

That said, some of the defending on their goals was absolutely scandalous and put of his control. He's been badly let down by certain players he has put a lot of faith in.

Trippier being dropped is absolutely within his control tbf.  And what you’ve described happened a few times in the first half. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

What's disingenuous?

i) Howe didn't spend anything. According to the Athletic, we have a transfer panel consisting of Howe, Nickson, Ashworth. The latter has final say.

ii) We didn't spend anything on Hall. If he wasn't available on a loan-to-buy, we might not have brought him in.

iii) At one point we had eleven first team  players missing through injury or suspension. Regardless of who we had bought it would have had a serious impact on form.

I can restate it if you like - it's disingenuous to suggest there are no rotational options, when we have a wunderkind sitting on the bench for most all the game, and two knackered ones on the pitch who look world's away from being able to compete.

Rightly or wrongly I can honestly see PIF looking to pull the plug if this form continues through January. The Saudis are ruthless businessmen and the fact that we could well miss out on European football, which will impact on FFP, could well see them forcing a change. You have to remember Howe was not their first choice either.

Just now, UncleBingo said:

That said, some of the defending on their goals was absolutely scandalous and put of his control. He's been badly let down by certain players he has put a lot of faith in.

Agree that Trippier should have been rested after a bad run of form, but again I can't blame the player for wanting to play. The manager has to make hard decisions sometimes. I still think Howe is a great manager fwiw, just think a horses for courses policy is sometimes required.

He absolutely deserves the chance to turn this around and get the club back on track but I'm not totally sure he's going to get that time. It's the nature of the performances that's the most worrying thing for me. We look a shadow of the side that people genuinely feared last season, we're lush to play against and have been for some time.

The intensity has (understandably) vanished, the edge we had, the momentum we generated have disappeared. We look a shambles at the back, CM get played through with simple passes and we can't seem to convert any chances even if we are on top in games. The whole thing just looks a big fucking mess every time we play atm. I know there's a lot of context and we've had some horrendous luck with injuries but that doesn't mask how bad it's been, you can only trot that out so often and for so long. 

I hope he stays but he needs some fucking performances, not necessarily results, pdq. Doing the same thing each week isn't fucking working, not addressing that is his biggest issue, it's not the fact we're getting dicked, it's how badly we're looking in the process

4 minutes ago, Donut said:

He now faces the same issue as Ten Hag does at Man U (Please note i rate Eddie MUCH higher than Ten Hag) in that his players aren't capable of playing his kind of football and just like Ten Hag he hasn't really come up with a plan B yet. Though in our case it's more to do with fitness, stamina and all the injuries while at Man U they just have a rubbish squad.

Ten Hag doesn’t have a plan A, to be fair. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Rightly or wrongly I can honestly see PIF looking to pull the plug if this form continues through January. The Saudis are ruthless businessmen and the fact that we could well miss out on European football, which will impact on FFP, could well see them forcing a change. You have to remember Howe was not their first choice either.

Howe was PIF’s choice.  Emery was Staveley’s. 

I hope Howe is given time but this reminds me a bit of Mark Hughes situation at City.  He was sacked in December too after only 2 wins in 11 .We dont have a Mancini lined up but we do need to spend in January and address the glaring issues in the squad

Edited by johnny36

8 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Barring some shocking run of form where we start flirting with a bottom-5 finish, I don't see the logic in booting Howe mid-season. Like it or not, it's clear Eddie has limitations, but his banked-up credit has at least earned him a tryout this latter half of the season to show why he's the man to drive the Ferrari, so to speak.

It would seem very harsh not to give Eddie a chance to right the ship and show what he's learned after the break. I do understand the frustration from fans, though.

No one is advocating his sacking to be fair. Not even close.

Absolutely love Eddie in terms of what he stands for, his professionalism and how he has turned us around, but I think we’ve relied too much on plan A, which is too bully teams with our intensity and physicality. After plan A goes out the window, due to injuries and fatigue, I don’t think we have much else (that’s not to say lots of managers aren’t like this). 

Guest reefatoon

Our summer transfer window turning out to be a shit show has really bit us on the arse too. £100m wasted on a banned addict, a crock and a kid that they don’t trust to play even when we are on our last legs with no options. Thank god for Livramento, the only saving grace of the summer. Hopefully we have much better luck in January.

Edited by reefatoon

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Our summer transfer window turning out to be a shit show has really bit us on the arse too. £100m wasted on a banned addict, a crock and a kid that they don’t trust to play even when we are on our last legs with no options. Thank god for Liveamento, the only saving grace of the summer. Hopefully we have much better luck in January.

Tonali and Barnes: completely disasterous