Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I think Howe seems a good cunt and will be disappointed when he leaves but the way he’s handled some things this season (general approach away from home, Lewis Hall, Dan Burn/Livramento) and the comments when Ashworth left (and having his nephew working in recruitment) does suggest he wants more of a say in recruitment. His recruitment was a big reason he got sacked at Bournemouth and the manager shouldn’t be anywhere near signing players at a big club these days.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Playing 2 DMs isn't really a great argument against playing a DM either though. Just one would do, and even then you want them to be good footballers. If Bruno's going to be our no 6 then he would need to be able to offer that defensive cover when we lose the ball upfield, and I don't think he's built for that.

Not in itself, I just meant that in itself it isn't an easy answer to anything. And they tend to cost a lot.

3 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

I think Howe seems a good cunt and will be disappointed when he leaves but the way he’s handled some things this season (general approach away from home, Lewis Hall, Dan Burn/Livramento) and the comments when Ashworth left (and having his nephew working in recruitment) does suggest he wants more of a say in recruitment. His recruitment was a big reason he got sacked at Bournemouth and the manager shouldn’t be anywhere near signing players at a big club these days.

Eh? His recruitment was the reason they went from League 2 to a 5 year stay in the Premier League. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Eh? His recruitment was the reason they went from League 2 to a 5 year stay in the Premier League. 

Agree with that. But they didn’t get any better in the five years they were there. When he needed to sign Premier League players he struggled.

The manager has to have a big input, the club has to have a broader strategy too. 

I guess for us it might be slightly more tricky because we are (probably) only just establishing our longer-term strategy and Ashworth will have been doing that.

Howe already has a big say in our transfers. It probably needs to be mentioned on a daily basis that Ashworth didn't do any scouting, or any identifying of players. Him, Howe and Nickson were a panel who got together to agree on targets, Howe's part in that role was big and before Ashworth came he was basically DoF with Nickson. The signings we've made weren't because of any scouting or identification on Ashworth's part, that was all Nickson and Howe. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Agree with that. But they didn’t get any better in the five years they were there. When he needed to sign Premier League players he struggled.

Jordan Ibe is honestly the only player he's ever signed who's been a high price dud. Everyone else he's signed has ended up coming good in the end. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Howe already has a big say in our transfers. It probably needs to be mentioned on a daily basis that Ashworth didn't do any scouting, or any identifying of players. Him, Howe and Nickson were a panel who got together to agree on targets, Howe's part in that role was big and before Ashworth came he was basically DoF with Nickson. The signings we've made weren't because of any scouting or identification on Ashoworth's part, that was all Nickson and Howe. 

Aye I get that, just people were talking about the say that the manager should have.

He got Bournemouth from league 2 to 9th in the PL? :lol:

If ever there was a "took them as far as they could go" moment, that was it.

The fact that they got relegated was irrelevant since he was the reason they were there in the first place.

His two biggest recruitment mistakes were Ibe and Solanke... Solanke is currently one of the highest scorers in the league.

Getting Bournemouth promoted was a great job. But if you get relegated 5 years later, signed 40 players in the meantime and still playing half the team you got promoted with I don’t think you’ve signed very well.

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Aye I get that, just people were talking about the say that the manager should have.

I didn't see your post tbf, just posting in general response to all the concern trolling about Howe's influence on recruitment.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Apart from the fact he established them as a Premier League club. 

Getting Bournemouth promoted was a great job. But if you get relegated 5 years later, signed 40 players in the meantime and still playing half the team you got promoted with I don’t think you’ve signed very well.

I disagree. The Premier League is always moving. You have to sign and progress and change just to 'stay still'. A club of Bournemouth's stature would struggle to remain in our division especially with FFP etc. So consolidation is, in itself, an achievement.

8 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

You are missing an important concept... context.

This is Bournemouth, they were literally searching the bargain bin and they survived 5 years.

3 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

They weren’t though. They were spending as much as anyone.

Looking at expenditure during the 5 years they where in the Premier League, they where ranked 15th, all bar one team below them had spent time outside the league in that 5 year period:

Screenshot_20240226-173040.png

His transfer business at Bournemouth was pretty solid mind, not perfect by any means, but not sure why he gets so much criticism for it.

Obviously Ibe was a high profile flop, but the lad had pretty unfortunate circumstances.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

His transfer business at Bournemouth was pretty solid mind, not perfect by any means, but not sure why he gets so much criticism for it.

Obviously Ibe was a high profile flop, but the lad had pretty unfortunate circumstances.

Think it's because Solanke and Danjuma were also classed as flops until it was undeniable that he was right all along. 

18 minutes ago, 54 said:

Looking at expenditure during the 5 years they where in the Premier League, they where ranked 15th, all bar one team below them had spent time outside the league in that 5 year period:

Screenshot_20240226-173040.png

Net balance of 8th. He's alright, but not an elite talent ID guy

image.thumb.png.8e00970439fd86ef2bb86b8fe58b27b8.png

As often seems to be the case with Howe, he sets a rod for his own back and is a victim of his own success. Bournemouth being 8th on that list should be a joke that you'd only see on some mad 10 season FM save.

22 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

They weren’t though. They were spending as much as anyone.

You do realise why 50m for Bournemouth isn't 50m for say Liverpool?

Liverpool got Alexis MacAllister for 30 odd million, that's because players like MacAllister, for example, don't want to join Bournemouth.

In essence, it's far easier for bigger clubs to spend wisely, when players are throwing themselves at you. 

For a club like Bournemouth, you can end up paying massive money on average players.