Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Back to the expected goals statistics, I think I am correct in assuming a right footed Miggy shot from the same position as a left footed Salah shot has the same Xg? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Back to the expected goals statistics, I think I am correct in assuming a right footed Miggy shot from the same position as a left footed Salah shot has the same Xg? :lol:

Correct, based on the average outcome of many similar occurrences.

Succession planning should always be something the sporting director has a view towards. You can’t be left with no options should a manager unexpectedly leave his post for a new job or be sacked. 

2 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

I rarely come into this thread because Eddie has always been doing a good job. There aren’t any idiots on here who seriously want him replaced are there? 

I haven't read back through and it may have been heat of the moment stuff.  But there were a few, I think.  No more than that, mind. 

46 minutes ago, TRon said:

We absolutely should be keeping an eye on future managerial talent, but of course that doesn't mean we believe any less in Howe who also falls in that category btw. Howe will be judged on what he produces with a full squad where he can compete with his peers, he's not been able to do that since September. But obviously we have to be prepared for all eventualities just like any other aspiring club.

I'd not quite agree with that, there has to be some consideration into how well he (any manager) deals with what the season throws up. So you will take the injuries into account when looking at league performance but you also need to look at how the manger has tried to mitigate them to the best they can. 

1 minute ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I'd not quite agree with that, there has to be some consideration into how well he (any manager) deals with what the season throws up. So you will take the injuries into account when looking at league performance but you also need to look at how the manger has tried to mitigate them to the best they can. 

Agreed but I imagine the powers are willing to give the manager the benefit of any doubts they might have in that regard given the wonders he's performed so far.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I would assume most Xg data takes into consideration if it's the player's weaker foot.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Depends on the model, but not generally. It can additionally be a function of many variables, such as opposition player positions, ball speed, ball trajectory, etc.  

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

mate it’s actually painfully tight:

let’s just assume Tonali wasn’t betting, Barnes stays fit just for the baseline and 4 results are different this season. 

Liverpool (h): Bruno doesn’t attempt a trivella at half field and Liverpool never get a second Nunez blaster to steal all 3. +1 point. 

West Ham (a): Team doesn’t push up late and ball is kicked to the corner flag. Kudus never gets that shot. +2 points

Everton (a): Trippier doesn’t cough the ball, we hold on for a draw. +1 point

Forest (h): We hold on at 1-0 at half time and see game out. +3 points 

^^ with or without the Liverpool point we are at 36 or 35 points and we’re in 6th place. I’m ignoring Wolves (a) and Luton (a) for this argument. 

* assume VAR doesn’t rob us in Paris, out of no where. We’re still in CL knockout phase. 

* assume Trippier doesn’t cough up late in the energy drink cup and we’re in the semifinal. 

All of this is to say, as horrendous as the last month or two have been at times, you can point to 5 to 7 incidents that seem like absolute horrible luck and clinical punishment that has altered our season. 

If Tonali wasn’t banned for gambling then Miley would have had about as much game time as Lewis Hall, so every cloud and all that.

Still with Eddie 100%. The Guy has been swimming with no limbs.

I'd give him this and next season, then reevaluate then.

Not sure what some folk expect on here - it's pretty clear what the issue is. Squad depth and a freak season of injuries...

Let's hope he gets a big win on Saturday and the bounce to kick on from there...HWTL.

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

Wonder will everyone have the same viewpoint should we lose to the mackems at the weekend..

I'm with Howe for another couple of seasons tbh. (Barring a freak relegation tailspin and no signs of life)

Saturday has no bearing on the future of the club, just a lot of bruised egos should the unfortunate happen.

52 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

If Tonali wasn’t banned for gambling then Miley would have had about as much game time as Lewis Hall, so every cloud and all that.

I’d rather be winning matches with Tonali this season than Miley emerging to be fair. He would’ve at some point anyway. 

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Wonder will everyone have the same viewpoint should we lose to the mackems at the weekend..

Won't make any difference to my opinion of him at this point. 

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

Knowing our luck, had Tonali not been done for gambling, he would have probably had a lengthy injury to deal with so...

34 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I’d rather be winning matches with Tonali this season than Miley emerging to be fair. He would’ve at some point anyway. 

I think Miley has looked better for us this season compared to Tonali, it is making the latter look an unnecessary purchase in that position.

If we still had Tonali we wouldn’t be out of CL or Carabao and maybe even wouldn’t have lost to Luton and Forest. That’s how fine the margins have been this season

27 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think Miley has looked better for us this season compared to Tonali, it is making the latter look an unnecessary purchase in that position.

13 minutes ago, Smal said:

Christ, that actually feels very sad to watch now.

He obviously wasn't as good in the games after (although, he still had some good moments) but I had no doubts that he'd have been well adjusted by now and delivering that type of performance on a regular basis.

Feel like it’s a big presser for him tomorrow. He normally judges the prevailing mood very well and pitches what he says accordingly.

Obviously we’re in a horrible run and he can’t really be particularly bullish (if he ever is that) but at the same time you always want to be giving off an air of confidence and surety going into these games.

Always confident he’ll get it right though, and we’ll all feel much better having listened to him.

20 minutes ago, Smal said:

That feels like it’s 2-3 years old :lol: 

Unrecognisable to the way we’re playing now, the team we have out and how jaded the players look in comparison to back then.